Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there one artist/band you have seen and wished you hadn't bothered?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Simply Red, didn't want to go in the first place, but dragged along, they were Simply Shite.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Each to their own I say but you must have caught The Cure on an off night mate, very unlucky as they don't have many of them. On each of the 15+ times I've seen them over the years since the Faith tour through to their "Festival" global jaunt a couple of years ago they have delivered in spades every single time. Best live bad ever, IMHO.

I must've been unlucky then. Maybe my hopes were too high,or Robert Smith was just having an off day? He couldnt of looked more peed off that night. Dunno? Someone else mentioned it somewhere,but I think the Brighton Centre brings out the very worst in a band. Not a fan of big venues,at all.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I once got so obsessed with Throwing Muses that I followed a tour round. This involved also enduring the support act (Band of Susans) about ten times in a fortnight.

I'm sure they're fine and I've nothing against them personally, but by about the third or fourth time I'd already more than had enough.

Once went to a Massive Attack gig where they couldn't be bothered to come on stage till well past midnight. There's only so much waiting in a venue drinking overpriced beer from plastic cups I can do, and around the three hour mark it started to pass into Too Much.

Saw My Bloody Valentine on two consecutive nights, as a mate wanted to go. My ears had barely recovered from the first You Made Me Realise onslaught (My Bloody Valentine, Roundhouse, London | Music | The Guardian ), so as it started up again on night 2, I did experience one of my few "I think I want to go home now" moments, despite normally being a live music nut at that point in my life, and a MBV supporter.

But the worst ever has to be going to see Wet Wet Wet with a girlfriend, and pretending to be enjoying myself. Mr Shields, you have so much to learn.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
But the worst ever has to be going to see Wet Wet Wet with a girlfriend, and pretending to be enjoying myself. Mr Shields, you have so much to learn.

Lol.
This reminds me. About 7/8 years ago,I took my daughter to see Busted at the Wembley Arena. Needless to say,they were crap,BUT the place was unsurprisingly full of girls. It was wall to wall fanny,I can tell you! Whenever I took my eyes off the stage(most of the time),I saw different coloured triangles. Morris Day,from Viz,would have been in his element!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Squeeze at the Royal Albert Hall donkeys tears ago. Shouldn't have bothered but it was my own fault. They are not really my cup of tea and I went because a batch of friends were. Dreadful venue for a gig and it rubbed off on the band, who seemed completely disinterested and going through the motions.
i was there for that , around 1995/6 ? agreed, not one of their best performances , especially when (for me) you hear the words, "tonight we're going to play some new stuff".

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tangerine dream at the Dome 1976 ish

They were truly awful

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
A band called The Jitters. They were a support act (can't recall the headliner) and I thought I quite enjoyed their set. Well, enough to buy their latest alnbum. The record was dreadful!

Oh, and the Pogues one Christmas at the Brighton Centre with Shane McGowan completely ratarsed (drunk and no teeth - not a good combination for a singer). Couldn't remember many words and kept slurring the ones he could recall or could make up to fit the tune!

Last edited:

A band called The Jitters. They were a support act (can't recall the headliner) and I thought I quite enjoyed their set. Well, enough to buy their latest alnbum. The record was dreadful!

Oh, and the Pogues one Christmas at the Brighton Centre with Shane McGowan completely ratarsed (drunk and no teeth - not a good combination for a singer). Couldn't remember many words and kept slurring the ones he could recall or could make up to fit the tune!

Spooky - I think they supported Heart on a mid '80's tour - saw them at Wembley Arena and actually thought they were good and the album, although not a classic, was o.k. It is on Spotify so I will give it a listen and see if I need to revisit my opinion.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Spooky - I think they supported Heart on a mid '80's tour - saw them at Wembley Arena and actually thought they were good and the album, although not a classic, was o.k. It is on Spotify so I will give it a listen and see if I need to revisit my opinion.

ah thanks it was Heart at Wembley !

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Glasvegas at Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms. Dull, dull, dull
if I'm allowed a second choice , this would be it - saw them play the NME tour a few years ago now and bitterly disappointed as really enjoyed the album.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Fleetwood Mac at Wembley Stadium about 89-90, supported by Jethro Tull and Hall & Oates, one of my friends fell asleep its was dreadful

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My wife and I have pretty much the opposite taste in music (last year whilst I was at Download she was at Take That) so I have seen some shite when I have taken her to shows but the one that took the biscuit was Mariah Carey. Absolute shite from start to finish.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Feeder are fantastic live and Grant Nicholas has amazing hair!

This all over , I was there the night in question and went out of the gig with a completely lost voice singing along and stuff.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
This all over , I was there the night in question and went out of the gig with a completely lost voice singing along and stuff.

Indeed I went to that gig too. Also went to the gig at the Brighton Centre where Grant played an hour set, stopped for a sore throat (I thought they sounded just as good) and then gave everyone another free gig. Top band!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wishbone Ash at the Dome, mid 70s.

Worst support band, either Trapeze or Audience, same era.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The Straits - didn't acknowledge the crowd once. Hence no encore.

Anna Calvi - the most dreary, depressing crap I might ever hear. And she looked like a vampire, which isn't my cup of tea.

All The Young - almost indistinguishable from the mediocre support groups, very forgettable (I only remember because it was a few days ago).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
i was there for that , around 1995/6 ? agreed, not one of their best performances , especially when (for me) you hear the words, "tonight we're going to play some new stuff".

Sounds like the one.

A dodgy line at many a gig that. Possibly the best of the 90s nostalgia crop are Shed Seven. They turn up every year, play all the old stuff everybody loves, give everybody a great night, top up their pensions and then leave. None of this new nonsense.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've been pretty lucky I guess - some fantastic gigs over the years.

Low points over the years would include:-

Cliff Richard at the NEC - took the wife and although the half of the show with the early stuff was bearable, the other half with his more modern (then) shite was pretty hard going.

Dire Straits at Woborn - technically very good but soulless and could have been listening to a studio recording. I like a bit of edge to live music!

Blancmange at the Dome - 80s - they were unmemorable but the support band were completely unlistenable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here