Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there one artist/band you have seen and wished you hadn't bothered?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The Stone Roses. Great band but they were f***ing shit live. I feel very sorry for all the people shelling out fortunes to see them this summer.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Joan Armatrading - not sure if it was her monotonous voice or I'd been working nights but it wasn't a cheap Gig and I was asleep by the 3rd song ...

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
The Cult at finsbury park in 92(I think) just shockingly woeful and a total disappointment. Fortunately Pearl Jam,Therapy? & L7 were on the bill to save the day

I went to that. When the cult were on I went and watched Pulp on one of the lesser stages. Far better.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
UB40 played like they had a taxi waiting - 45 minutes and off

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
modestep they were the "support" act for lostprophets tour and they are the worst band ive seen mixing dubstep with rock it was horrible it made lostprophets crap and this was at the 02 place in brixton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's something about the Brighton Centre that just screams 'crap gig'. Massive Attack and Black Grape have both been very bad there, no engagement with the audience and it was just boring. The Specials at the Brighton Centre were dull as well. It's a shame as Black Grape at the Event 2 and Specials at Brixton were both legendary gigs in my mind. They were so good it was spiritual.

The East Wing feels like a school hall too. Do they still do gigs there? I saw the Fall play the Marshall Suite there and that was unlike any Fall gig I'd been to before or since. It was neither brilliant or spectacularly crap - it was just dull.

Even Nick Cave was awful at the Brighton Centre. I can't remember which tour it was (Nocturama?) but there were Nick Cave tea towels FFS. The band seemed a bit unrehearsed, the crowd were really ignorant too. There's a bit right at the end of God Is In The House where he pauses and it's a huge part of the song and some nobber completely ruined the moment and the song by shouting "I love you Nick!". Well, for a start...I love him more. Of that I have no doubt but more importantly if you love him you wouldn't have done that to THAT song. There was also a fight and stupid, stupid heckling.

Morrissey at Hyde Park was crap too. He was in a bad mood and clearly didn't want to be there. After a couple of songs and a rant about the waft from the burger vans I was of the same opinion.

The very worst was only just recently. I saw Tricky with Martina Topley-Bird back together to perform Maxinquaye in full. For a start the venue was as per the Brighton Centre - just crap. The Indigo at the O2 feels like someone with no sense of taste's idea of a classy nightclub. And it was way too big for the crowd they did have there. The support was a harbinger for the crapness of the evening. She played a kind of whimsical trip-hop that was big about 12 years ago but now seemed dated, she had no stage presence and she played in front of her Apple Mac through which she had all her music. It looked really amateur.

When Tricky came on he looked a bit spaced out, the first song started and both he and Martina disappeared. And there he stayed. He came on in little bursts throughout the evening but all in all was on for about 20 minutes. They skipped songs, pissed about with the order and then halfway through brought on his brother who did a generic rap over a standard sample of Michael Jackson's Bad. The worst was yet to come. Afterwards the band came back on...without Martina or Tricky and effectively we had just a house band do a Maxinquaye cover. When finally he was persuaded to stay on stage he invited the audience to come up with him and we had half of Clapham's finest trust funders up there filming us the audience who remained. The band played a kind of dirge-like number and some bloke in a Led Zep top and long greasy hair seized his 15 minutes of fame with both hands and moshed, sang and headbanged whilst Tricky (or Trippy if we are being literal) wondered around at the back getting cosy with some girls).

Unfortunately, this was not a one-off. Similar tales in Bristol the night before and Manchester the night after from the tour. I will never ever buy tickets to see Tricky again and I feel really pissed off that he could kill some of the magic of one of the most important albums of the 90s with the utter shit he served up for us. Piss-taking of extraordinary levels.

boik

The Cure. Love their studio albums(80s in particular),but was SO disappointed when I saw them. Brighton,Head On The Door tour.

Band I wish I HAD seen were XTC. They stopped playing live roughly when I got into them,1981 :(

XTC were devastating live. Saw them dozens of times and they never disappointed. Shellshocked when they stopped touring, as Mr Partridge was always immense on stage. Couldn't believe his problems when I found out as there was no sign when I saw them. Check out an EP called Live & More for a taste of what the were like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V5gMKNfoP0

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
XTC were devastating live. Saw them dozens of times and they never disappointed. Shellshocked when they stopped touring, as Mr Partridge was always immense on stage. Couldn't believe his problems when I found out as there was no sign when I saw them. Check out an EP called Live & More for a taste of what the were like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V5gMKNfoP0

I couldn't be more jealous!!!!!!! I was born a couple of years too late. Ironically,they stopped touring virtually the year I got into them(around English Settlement era). I have pretty much everything they have released. One of very few artists where I have to have EVERYTHING. Couldn't love this band any more. Agree,it seemed so unlike him to have a fear of performing live,when he is so extrovert/confident otherwise? Was always hoping they would perform some time,somewhere. Even a low key show perhaps,but it was never to be sadly. Mind you,they continued to release amazing studio albums. Such a great band. Partridge & Moulding were genius songwriters. Should've been far bigger,imo.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Stone Roses. Great band but they were f***ing shit live. I feel very sorry for all the people shelling out fortunes to see them this summer.

They were fantastic when I saw them . Watching John Squire and Mani live was a joy to behold

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Dire Straits...

Saw them twice, once in Paris and then at Woburn Abbey. 2 huge gigs back in the early 90's, but just lots of over long guitar solos.

Past their best really, I'm sure if I'd seen them in their early days it would have been much better.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Glasvegas at Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms. Dull, dull, dull
Gay Dad at same venue was just asking for trouble
High Llamas at Brighton Concorde (the old one by the aquarium) were definitely on an off night, sounded like they were playing with boxing gloves on

The Farm at Reading Fest 94? Only entertaining bit was when someone in the front of the crowd threw paint over them

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Razorlight at the Brighton Centre in 2008. They came on very late when I was having to watch for the last train, Johnny Borrell didn't seem in the least bit interested, and the sound was all wrong, so I got my ears blasted. Yes, I know gigs are loud, but I've never had a problem with it at the Brighton Centre before. The Manic Street Preachers were absolute pony at the Oxegen Festival last year. They just rushed through their songs, with hardly a word in between, and then Nicky Wire reeled off a tirade against Cameron and Clegg, leaving the mainly Irish audience nonplussed. Odd, as they are normally one of my favourite bands to see live.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The Cure. Love their studio albums(80s in particular),but was SO disappointed when I saw them. Brighton,Head On The Door tour.

Band I wish I HAD seen were XTC. They stopped playing live roughly when I got into them,1981 :(

Each to their own I say but you must have caught The Cure on an off night mate, very unlucky as they don't have many of them. On each of the 15+ times I've seen them over the years since the Faith tour through to their "Festival" global jaunt a couple of years ago they have delivered in spades every single time. Best live bad ever, IMHO.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
David Bowie - love the guy but when I saw him in the Docklands it was a shite soulless experience, not very Ziggy Stardust!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
My worst have already been picked by others - Lou Reed in 84 at The Brixton Acadamy, one big sulk basiocally, and The Stone Roses in Fremantle on the Second Coming Tour. I was so looking forward to The Stone Roses as their first album is an all time favourite of mine, and had convinced myslef that Ian Brown's singing wouldn't let them down, it did, big time, he must be tone deaf!

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Primal Scream.....twice you would have thought I'd have learned the first time - one of few times left early from a gig
The very worst gig ever must have been Gay Bikers on Acid in front of about 20 people at the Top Rank sooooo bad the mate I dragged along still reminds me about it to this day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here