Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there anyone on here who didn't watch the Albion at the Goldstone?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
In the North Stand, just to left of the goal as you looked at the pitch, near the top from 1985 onwards. Who will ever forget what it was like when a goal was scored, particularly in the North goal, and the stand just went crazy.

Everybody is right of course, it was a shit hole, but it was our f***ing home, and I still miss going to my regular haunt in the North Stand, even now. Withdean doesn't, and will never even come close to comparison.

For those that never went, think of Bobby scoring at Peterborough a couple of years ago to virtually win us the Second Division, and that was the North Stand every week. Bring back terracing........

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Seagull73 said:

For those that never went, think of Bobby scoring at Peterborough a couple of years ago to virtually win us the Second Division, and that was the North Stand every week. Bring back terracing........

surely there can be a case for this?

or is it a never gonna happen fantasy?

Steph

Jul 26, 2004
Bognor
I've been supporting Brighton for nearly 7 years so have never seen a game at the Goldstone. Went to my first match at Gillingham and became a season ticket holder as soon as we moved to Withdean.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Yes Goldstone was a dump but it gave me the passion for the Albion. What has been said about Withdean putting people off, it's put me off travelling down there, so I only usually go to away games. If it had happened when I was younger? Well my parents both came from Palace territory - un-bloody-thinkable.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Steph said:
I've been supporting Brighton for nearly 7 years so have never seen a game at the Goldstone. Went to my first match at Gillingham and became a season ticket holder as soon as we moved to Withdean.

So what on earth made you stick with the Albion while we were at Gillingham? Was it the 120 mile round trip that appealed to you? Or was it the sight of legends like Michael Mahoney-Johnson AND Paul Linger playing together for the Albion?

Whatever it was, fair play to you though.

:clap:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
My dad, being a Chelsea fan, only took me to the Goldstone Ground once.

I started going regularly at Gillingham.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Has anyone got an birds eye view of the Goldstone with a 30,000 odd crowd in it? Always see empty or when the east was half used.

Not quite a birds eye view but there's a few people shoe-horned into the South-East corner!!!

The crowd that day was 33,431 by the way. After the stitch-up at The Dell I spent the evening on Brighton beach in an alcoholic stupor!!!

peterward.jpg

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I was only 11 when we played the last game , never went in the North stand, it was just the South I remember being in especially with my dad and my brothers.

Ooh I feel sad now. :down:

Aug 21, 2003
birmingham
my mums friend used to work in the ticket offce, Lynn N, she used to send me complimentary tickets when i was 14, got me a job a programme seller in the west stand when i was 16, i used to watch my first season from there cos the steward that worked in my bit was lovely, Heidi, but igrew out of it and spent many a sat afternoon in the best stand ever to be knocked down.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There was a black and white bird's eye on an old programme cover in the late sixties.

I do not know what match it was, but it could have been the 35,000 sell out match against Chelsea.

It was only a tiny programme in those days. All my programmes and history books were lost in a fire, so I do not have a copy.

The pictures above are better, but they still do not show how high the terrace was because the south-east corner is the low bit.

The best I have ever seen the East Terrace sway was for an FA Cup Second Round replay against Aldershot when Albion won 3-1 in front of 29,000+ fans. Over 30,000 and the Goldstone really did get a bit too crammed in and I went to all of the big crowds from the late sixties onwards.

1977-78 was very exciting crowds wise. The most memorable atmosphere was my first visit to the Old Valley and the really huge terrace.

Has anybody got any old photographs ?

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That's the one !

Cor, I must have saved up for that match. I was only getting a tanner a week pocket money.

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Steph said:

Ditto. Watching the Albion, and meeting Krispies, and the Albion fans have played a major part of my life.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
perseus said:
That's the one !

Cor, I must have saved up for that match. I was only getting a tanner a week pocket money.

I was working by then and I was there.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I loved the Goldstone. My first match there was the first home game of the 91/92 season after the play-off final. I think Tranmere beat us 2-0 with Aldridge getting both.
A sad thing about that is that it highlights the fact that I got hooked on them as a kid after going to the play-offs but there will have been so many potential new supporters lost this time because of the shithole that is Withdean. Bloody Archer, Bloody Belloti, Bloody Baker and his NIMBY cronies :censored:.
Why are we everyone's punching bag?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here