Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there anyone on here who didn't watch the Albion at the Goldstone?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Curious Orange said:
Don't worry about it, I think it is about to become my desktop wallpaper!!!

Plenty of space for a big stadium on that site (apart from the south-east corner!!)

Same here. Slightly less depressing than the last JordanF1 victory wallpaper I have (over 2 years old)

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Never went there for a game, but I can faintly remember going past the Goldstone by car, when I was about 8 or 9. Sadly due to lack of funds and having parents not into football one bit it wasn't until I was in my late teens that I would start going to Albion games.:nono:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Goldstone was my place of worship for 35 years(1962-1997)I'll never forgive those bastards Archer,Stanley and Bellotti

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
...."Goat'em Brighton !" programme cover picture era !!!

Here it is!!

goatprog.jpg

sorry about the crap scan!

:clap2:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i never went ( didn't live with dad , didn't have money , wasn't allowed to go on own) for the same reason i didn't go to gillingham -had to make do with meridian match :(

but now i guess you could call me a regular:)

Set of Tracksuits said:
Christ I can't imagine having only know Albion as playing at Gillingham or Withdean.

In fact I'm surprised that anyone under the age of 18 ever goes to watch us to be honest!

Same as that. The Goldstone, and the North Stand in particular, was where my passion for The Albion was born.

To be perfectly honest if we'd been playing at Gillingham when I got into football I'd now probably be the proud owner of a Manchester United shirt and Sky Sports season ticket.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Safeway said:
To be perfectly honest if we'd been playing at Gillingham when I got into football I'd now probably be the proud owner of a Manchester United shirt and Sky Sports season ticket.

Blimey, never thought of it like that. That's probably very true. Not sure my dad would even have taken me like he did to The Goldstone.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Remember going to a few games at the Goldstone - I used to hang out with John Westcott in Eastbourne and went along with a few mates

Me and my bro then shared a season ticket at Gillingham and the rest is history...

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Safeway said:
[B
To be perfectly honest if we'd been playing at Gillingham when I got into football I'd now probably be the proud owner of a Manchester United shirt and Sky Sports season ticket. [/B]

scary thought, i might have ended up in the same situation.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Safeway said:
Same as that. The Goldstone, and the North Stand in particular, was where my passion for The Albion was born.

This is exactly what concerns me about the ongoing Falmer saga. The longer we play at Withdean, the more young supporters we will fail to attract and lose to the Arsenal/Chelsea/Man Utd's of this world.

I remember my first match from the North Stand, against Liverpool in the Cup with my Dad. I remember being a bit apprehensive at the age of 11, cos the North Stand was so loud, but after that match I refused to watch the Albion from any other part of the ground.

The best bit was when this bloke in front of me got all his mates to move up cos I couldn't see. His mate on the end said "I can't move up there's a pillar in the way". To which he shouted back "Well move the f*cking pillar then!".

Going back to my original point, I can't imagine anyone wanting to take their kid to Withdean, I can't imagine any kid enjoying it as much as I did, and I can't really imagine any kid really wanting to go back again.

In my opinion, anyone who has started supporting the Albion in the last seven years should be genuinely proud.

poke

Oct 19, 2003
i never saw a game there, but i did a flag parade thing around the pitch once when i was with the cubs.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I don't think I'd even be a football fan if it wasn't for the Goldstone. Certainly I wasn't really that aware of professional football prior to my Dad taking me there - I can't even remember who we played in my first match!!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As I said previously, I f***ing loved The Goldstone.

The point about Withdean turning people off The Albion is a good one.

Last season I took my Daughter to the LDV Vans game against Boston Utd.

We got absolutely soaked and to cap it all, had to endure the extra period just when we were looking forward to getting back to the car. She hasn't wanted to go to Withdean again "because it's a dump Dad and it hasn't got a roof"

If we had been in The North Stand at The Goldstone, the game would still have been shite but at least we would have been dry. I just hope that by the time I take my seat in The Peter Ward Stand at Falmer, my daughter will want to come with me.

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
the goldstone was quality!our home our fortress! may be a dump but f***ing looks like Old Trafford compared to the withdean!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
SAD STORY

The kid in the middle of the "go at em Brighton" was a lad called I think it was John Deacon. We went to school together at Falmer and John suffered from kidney disease.

Unfortunately, he died from the disease some years ago, but he was an avid Brighton fan, through and through.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
1986 My first season!! :clap:

that is one of new Fave Goldstone pickies!!

The amount of times I walked up half cut from "The Sportsman bar!" outside Hove station!

great memories and........

"MARVELLOUS SCENES!!"

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The picture makes the Goldstone look small, but that's not how I remember it. My first game was the month after that programme above, April 1976 against Shrewsbury.

Wthdean does not replace it in my affections, even slightly. Bring on Falmer.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Never really realised how much land was in the North East corner of the old ground. Just selling off that bit to a housing developer would have put a fair few £'s in the clubs coffers instead of flogging the whole site. I'm sure the club had planning permission for a block of flats on that bit of land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here