Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is The Amex Intimidating?

Jan 30, 2008
It seems we have dropped the applauding of the away fans attendance of late...
about time too , someone two seats along from me was clapping the scummers sat, when i asked him why he was doing it he replied that he'd been to southampton and thought they were ok , told him he was talking crap and that they had been ripping the shit out of us................... some people

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Only away fans can really comment on how loud we are. Im in the north and can hear our stand more than the other stands. Away fans can give a proper indication on the whole ground.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The reason why the palace game was not like this is because those stupid ultra's ruin the atmosphere.

If they would watch the football instead of jumping around like twats then the atmosphere would certainly improve.

With respect, I think your post is bollocks. I am not part of the NSK, but these guys try to get things going, and until anybody comes up with a viable alternative, lets not argue amongst ourselves.

Back to the OP, from where I sit, I can hear the North and East stand, but it is only when the monster that is the West stand starts, then it is loud and intimidating.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
i would say it is.After going to Watford,Bristol City,Reading,Coventry and even Portsmouth this season it must seem intimidating for away fans.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
People's memory of Palace is pretty selective. The first twenty minutes when we were 1-0 up and all over them like a rash, it was absolutely deafening. That and Donny were the loudest it's been. It was only as the game began to wear on and Palace began to put us under pressure that it died down. Didn't hear them sing once in the first half, wasn't until they came out like a rocket after the break that the crowd momentum changed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fratton park was twice as loud as your gaff. I couldn't make it to yours, but my mates said .

So...you weren't there, but for some reason you feel the need to give us the benefit of your 'comparison'. Thanks for coming, good contribution, close the door on your way out. What a complete f**kwit. Are all Saints fans like this?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Fratton park was twice as loud as your gaff. I couldn't make it to yours, but my mates said that atmosphere was pretty drab until Lambert got sent off, then you picked up a bit.

Tell your mates they were the worst fans to visit the Amex yet.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
People's memory of Palace is pretty selective. The first twenty minutes when we were 1-0 up and all over them like a rash, it was absolutely deafening. That and Donny were the loudest it's been. It was only as the game began to wear on and Palace began to put us under pressure that it died down. Didn't hear them sing once in the first half, wasn't until they came out like a rocket after the break that the crowd momentum changed.

Agree completely. First 20 mins were great. Palace fans didn't start until second half when they were on top which surprised me

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Fratton park was twice as loud as your gaff. I couldn't make it to yours, but my mates said that atmosphere was pretty drab until Lambert got sent off, then you picked up a bit.

For a more accurate opinion I suggest you ask Dan Harding what the atmos was like in the 1st half. :annoyed:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This. Bit of a love-in tomorrow methinks.

Until their agricultural (I'm guessing here sorry if I'm wrong!) style results in an injury to one of our better players. There will be a love in pre-kick off, I doubt it will last the game.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Tell your mates they were the worst fans to visit the Amex yet.

All the wrong people got the tickets. We were going to get tickets on the saturday, as we were at home, however they sold out in 6 hours on the Friday. That was 50+ all of which are very vocal. There were countless more that didn't get tickets who should have done. Far too many families and JCL's getting tickets.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
All the wrong people got the tickets. We were going to get tickets on the saturday, as we were at home, however they sold out in 6 hours on the Friday. That was 50+ all of which are very vocal. There were countless more that didn't get tickets who should have done. Far too many families and JCL's getting tickets.

That's what happens when you play a big club like us, tickets sell out livo

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea

Spot on.

Both sets of supporters were quite for the main in this match - Palace got going when they equalised etc just like any bunch of away supporters would. There is a lot of b*ll*x from them about their "constant wall of noise" in this match - didn't happen until late on.

Saw an interesting You Tube post on Saints forum taken from their end at the Amex. Right at the end the West Stand started the "Albion" chant - it did sound impressive.

Last edited:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I thought that the atmosphere at the Amex was much more hostile for Southampton than it was for Palace.

A couple of friends of mine, Saints fans, told me that they found the Amex more inhospitable than Fratton Park.

Do we want the atmosphere at the Amex to be like that at the Britannia, or like that at Carrow Road?

I disagree. The north stand concourse before the palace game was absolutely electric. There was a real buzz and once up in the stands it got even louder. When we started panicking and passing the ball across the defence the crowd got nervous and palace grew in confidence. I still put that game as a turning point as something happened that night, to the fans and the players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here