• Yes

Votes: 224 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 11.8%

• Total voters

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Disagree about a longer contract.I'm pleased with the appointment but the club needs to be more carefull in dishing out 3 year contracts and then sacking the manager.If he proves his salt then offer a better deal.We can't keep paying up contracts when the money can be better spent.The club have got it spot on.

My concern is I wanted stability. A contract until the end of next season (not for 3 years) would have provided that. If he takes us down, will we get anyone better if we get rid of him? Pleased overall though.

Jul 25, 2003
Saltdean
Our main priority is to avoid relegation. He has good experience of working at this level and seems like a good choice from that point of view. Still got something to prove and still hungry to go further in his career. Is he the man to take us to Falmer? Who knows? But short term contract keeps the options open.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No, I don't think he is to be honest. He just doesn't sound, look, or feel like an albion manager to me. He certainly won't have the skills on the training ground or the ability to sign players required for a promotion push from this division so long term he's not the man. I guess he'll be deemed a success if he keeps us up this season, but I'm far from convinced he will. The best case scenario for him, in my opinion, is keeping us up this year, and going along in mid-table next season before he's sacked in Jan/Feb time. Worst case is we go down and he's out in a couple of months. Overall, I can't see him being here beyond November.

Another point is we've basically swapped Micky Adams for Russell Slade. That's a joke decision for me.
How can you say that is a joke already? Can't you wait for a few matches before making a comment like that? Adams was a joke FACT.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
No, I don't think he is to be honest. He just doesn't sound, look, or feel like an albion manager to me. He certainly won't have the skills on the training ground or the ability to sign players required for a promotion push from this division so long term he's not the man. I guess he'll be deemed a success if he keeps us up this season, but I'm far from convinced he will. The best case scenario for him, in my opinion, is keeping us up this year, and going along in mid-table next season before he's sacked in Jan/Feb time. Worst case is we go down and he's out in a couple of months. Overall, I can't see him being here beyond November.

Another point is we've basically swapped Micky Adams for Russell Slade. That's a joke decision for me.

He is only contracted to the end of this season so we can get rid of him in the summer for nowt, rightly or wrongly

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Like most, I have no idea if Slade will be a good appointment, but I truly hope he will be and wish him luck.

But unlike most, at least you have the good sense to admit it.

I would love him to be our manager next season, because that would have meant he has done a good job this season.

Instead of bitching about the appointment, (I don't mean you by the way), lets get behind the team tomorrw. 3,600 tickets available, so make some NOIZE.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Dick Knight panicking is a "given"........no doubt about that.

Overall, the Slade appointment is probably the best we can do, following the huge amounts of money that will have to paid out in compensation for the dreadful board decisions on recent managerial positions.

One good thing about the Slade appointment, is that the expectation of us supporters will have been considerably lowered............which should at least remove some pressure off Slade.

Like most, I have no idea if Slade will be a good appointment, but I truly hope he will be and wish him luck.

He,ll need it with Mr. Knight still at the helm.

Make your mind up-is it Dick Knight at the helm making dreadful decisions or is it the board making dreadful decisions? We all know you have an anti-Knight agenda but why start with the snidey comments minutes before the new manager is welcomed to the club?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm happy with Slade's appointment and the way Dean White has handled the caretaker job over the last 2 weeks I think he's earned the right to stay for the rest of the season as well. Now is the time to get behind the club and concentrate on staying up. :albion2:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Slade has a decent track record and has more experience than Jim Gannon. Since Paul Ince thinks he's too good for us (I didn't want him much anyway) I think he'll do well. Unlike Micky Adams he has no laurels here to rest on for a start.

Oh, I'm not thrilled with White and Booker either but it could be worse, it could have been our old 'friend' Nathan Jones.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Good appointment, bit of a pisser for the bloke that he HAS to work with White & Booker though.

I saw that and was equally unimpressed...But the way I read it is Slade's contract is until the end of the season and probably does not want to bugger about with changing the back-up team now. If he keeps us up I would imagine he would be given a longer proper contract and be allowed to build his own team and bring his own back-room staff in.

Although, I could be wrong.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm happy with the appointment of Slade, I'm not sure if I can understand the point of keeping White on though. As surely he is partly to blame for the Albion's poor season.

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
Time will tell but time is what he needs not anyone deciding with threads before thay have seen him at work

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I think Slade will prove a good appointment. He was not my first choice for the job, but his track record is good and I hope he can get us out of the mess we are currently in, starting with a thumping of Orient tomorrow!

I am disappointed with the news that White and Booker are staying. Although they have been loyal servants to club, I think a change is needed. I do see the logic behind them staying until the end of the season though, as they do know the club and the players, and it would be difficult for an entirely new backroom team to come in and hit the ground running.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
No, I don't think he is to be honest. He just doesn't sound, look, or feel like an albion manager to me. He certainly won't have the skills on the training ground or the ability to sign players required for a promotion push from this division so long term he's not the man. .

Not sure how you can say that with such confidence. Admitedly he's not a big name or an appointment that will get everyone excited. However, he has a decent track record in the lower leagues. He took Yeovil to the play-offs of this league a couple of season's ago, so he clearly has some idea of what is needed. Plus his immediate aim(and contract) is not about promotion but survival-something he also has experience of with Scarborough.

I think in the circumstances it's as good as we could hope for. The board get a decent, experienced lower league manager in until the end of the season which gives them a good amount of time to evaluate whether he is the man to push us on or if he's only ever going to be a firefighter. It could be that there's more mileage in the Gannon story and the board want to wait and see how things develop at the end of the season with that.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm happy with the appointment of Slade, I'm not sure if I can understand the point of keeping White on though. As surely he is partly to blame for the Albion's poor season.

Well Slade has only signed until the end of the season so I suppose it's pointless bringing in a new coaching set up if someone else comes in during the summer and wants to change it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here