Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm sure many teachers would love to teach that to malleable young minds some probably already do. See also white privilege. By year 11 the next generation of Guardian readers will be ready to take their place in society.

I wouldn't be so bold as to say what should and shouldn't be taught at school. I was only anecdotally recalling what I learned at school. I'll leave it to the likes of yourself to determine what young malleable minds should and shouldn't be learning. You didn't need to spell out where you're coming from quite so obviously.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We are supposed to learn history... But they never taught it to me. I had never heard of Edward Colston until the last few weeks. I didn't know that the number of slaves he helped traffic was 80,000, or that half of them didn't survive the journey and their bodies thrown overboard.

I didn't know about the Bengal Famine and Churchills role in it. I didn't know that he was a fan of eugenics or considered aborigines and indians as lesser races who deserved to be replaced by whites. His views and actions were really quite horrifying, even taking into account standards of the time.

I didn't know how blatantly racist so much of the UK still is. When the Floyd protests spread to Britain, I thought it was solidarity with America, I didn't realise how much of a problem we still had. Now I do.

It's been a very valuable period of learning indeed

Brilliant post.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The transatlantic slave trade wasn't the icing on the cake, it was the cherry.

Rubbish.

“The Atlantic slave trade was not the only slave trade from Africa, although it was the largest in volume and intensity.” Wiki

Why are you so intent on downgrading the significance of the Atlantic Slave Trade?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What denial? Even in the West we know slavery was a fundamental aspect of the great civilisations; Egypt, Greece, Rome. Why would anyone deny it was undoubtedly part of the world, and a form of power and control? Not really sure what your point is?

Clearly not.

It's not Britain or myself that is in denial, I am just about old enough to remember the Roots series screened in the 70's and I understand our part in the brutal trade. However it depicted white people catching the indigenous Africans being caught in nets. This was not the case. It was the previous colonisers of Africa who enabled it with slave markets who is in denial. Have you heard about Zanzibar?

Do you really think that a few white men turning up in wooden ships could chase native Africans and capture them in nets?

Youtube the search phrase I gave to understand the history of slavery and you will discover who enabled it on a vast scale for over 1000 years before we even turned up in Africa. Don't make me post the youtube link.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Clearly not.

It's not Britain or myself that is in denial, I am just about old enough to remember the Roots series screened in the 70's and I understand our part in the brutal trade. However it depicted white people catching the indigenous Africans being caught in nets. This was not the case. It was the previous colonisers of Africa who enabled it with slave markets who is in denial. Have you heard about Zanzibar?

Do you really think that a few white men turning up in wooden ships could chase native Africans and capture them in nets?

Youtube the search phrase I gave to understand the history of slavery and you will discover who enabled it on a vast scale for over 1000 years before we even turned up in Africa. Don't make me post the youtube link.

You could just post links to Anthony and Cleopatra, Ben Hur, Spartacus. Did you not even read my post!? :rolleyes:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Rubbish.

“The Atlantic slave trade was not the only slave trade from Africa, although it was the largest in volume and intensity.” Wiki

Why are you so intent on downgrading the significance of the Atlantic Slave Trade?

I am not downgrading our part in African slavery and in my previous comment I say that it was brutal. We have all grown up understanding our part. That is not the point.

Don't make me post a link to educate you on the full story on African slavery, on youtube titled The Untold Story of Arab Slave Trade Of Africans. The slave market at Zanzibar can be seen taking place on historic film, and in colour, working as it did do before we turned up on the shores.

It is not called The Untold Story for nothing. Your argument is not with me.

Downgrading our part? No, not at all.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Seeing as this thread has been moved I will post the video documentary The Untold Story of the Arab Slave Trade which is founded by Islam and it's Islamic texts, in the Quran and Hadiths. Anyone who doesn't watch this documentary is insincere.

https://youtu.be/Ov9GFPmoOPg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You clearly don't get the culture that is in denial of their part do you. Pretty sure you didn't understand my post.

Oh I understood, what you haven't explained is your conclusion on their being mass denial. It's a pretty weak conclusion to make just because you saw a series called Roots and a documentary is titled the 'Untold story'.

I don't doubt specifics of slavery through the ages is 'unknown', so there will be many untold stories, but as I said to you, who wouldn't know slavery existed in ancient Egypt and other civilisations etc. Last time I looked Egypt was part of the African continent - you would think they might know slavery existed for 10s of thousands of years.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Seeing as this thread has been moved I will post the video documentary The Untold Story of the Arab Slave Trade which is founded by Islam and it's Islamic texts, in the Quran and Hadiths. Anyone who doesn't watch this documentary is insincere.

:facepalm:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Oh I understood, what you haven't explained is your conclusion on their being mass denial. It's a pretty weak conclusion to make just because you saw a series called Roots and a documentary is titled the 'Untold story'.

I don't doubt specifics of slavery through the ages is 'unknown', so there will be many untold stories, but as I said to you, who wouldn't know slavery existed in ancient Egypt and other civilisations etc. Last time I looked Egypt was part of the African continent - you would think they might know slavery existed for 10s of thousands of years.

Watch the video from 58:40 and it will become clearer to you.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly the point. Denial. You haven't even watched the damn thing.

I haven't denied it!!?? :lolol: :shrug:

I'm asking you who is denying slavery hasn't existed in Africa and the rest of the world for thousands of years!!?? Before Islam, before Christianity, before history even.

Talk about being agenda driven.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I haven't denied it!!?? :lolol: :shrug:

I'm asking you who is denying slavery hasn't existed in Africa and the rest of the world for thousands of years!!?? Before Islam, before Christianity, before history even.

Talk about being agenda driven.

It's still going on in Africa and the history is being denied by the perpetrates with no lessons learnt, so you can :lolol: as much as you want. At least we are able to acknowledge and reflect on our part. Clearly you don't care about what is still going on in Africa or get the point because the buck stops with us and that is all that matters. Ignorant fool.

My point, or the actual agenda, is being made from 58:40

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The thread hasn't moved. Why have you tagged me into something I wasn't doscussing with you? I'm perfectly well read in History thanks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's still going on in Africa and the history is being denied by the perpetrates with no lessons learnt, so you can :lolol: as much as you want. At least we are able to acknowledge and reflect on our part. Clearly you don't care about what is still going on in Africa or get the point because the buck stops with us and that is all that matters. Ignorant fool.

It is still going on around the world.
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here