Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A poster in a window of a flat in Hove 'Decolonise our Curriculum' :stupid:.

Okay lefty, shall we just pretend anything non pc these days didn't happen and just start the history books with....'In the Beginning there was a Coffee shop, occupied by gender fluid homo sapiens that were born offended on others behalf and that god (am I allowed to say that) had bestowed ,Apple Macs.

We are supposed to learn History, not just pretend they didn't happen.

Isn't 'pretending it didn't happen' exactly what we have been doing?

I don't remember doing British imperialism, enslavement, and oppression at school. We did Romans, Saxons and Vikings, Battle of Hastings, Tudors, Industrial Revolution, WWI, WWII, Cold War.

I suspect the public as a whole have learned more in the past couple of weeks about British history than they have in decades.

If we are supposed to 'learn' history, why are some so scared of it?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well, given that the big man himself was a slave trader, I suspect that its only a matter of time before the history healers will turn their attention to the Islamic texts to require removal, to save the young impressionable Muslim minds from the evils of their prophet.

I will definitely be tuning in for that episode.

ah yes ....me too , its all our fault ........is it ****

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A poster in a window of a flat in Hove 'Decolonise our Curriculum' :stupid:.

Okay lefty, shall we just pretend anything non pc these days didn't happen and just start the history books with....'In the Beginning there was a Coffee shop, occupied by gender fluid homo sapiens that were born offended on others behalf and that god (am I allowed to say that) had bestowed ,Apple Macs.

We are supposed to learn History, not just pretend they didn't happen.

We are supposed to learn history... But they never taught it to me. I had never heard of Edward Colston until the last few weeks. I didn't know that the number of slaves he helped traffic was 80,000, or that half of them didn't survive the journey and their bodies thrown overboard.

I didn't know about the Bengal Famine and Churchills role in it. I didn't know that he was a fan of eugenics or considered aborigines and indians as lesser races who deserved to be replaced by whites. His views and actions were really quite horrifying, even taking into account standards of the time.

I didn't know how blatantly racist so much of the UK still is. When the Floyd protests spread to Britain, I thought it was solidarity with America, I didn't realise how much of a problem we still had. Now I do.

It's been a very valuable period of learning indeed

Jan 30, 2008
We are supposed to learn history... But they never taught it to me. I had never heard of Edward Colston until the last few weeks. I didn't know that the number of slaves he helped traffic was 80,000, or that half of them didn't survive the journey and their bodies thrown overboard.

I didn't know about the Bengal Famine and Churchills role in it. I didn't know that he was a fan of eugenics or considered aborigines and indians as lesser races who deserved to be replaced by whites. His views and actions were really quite horrifying, even taking into account standards of the time.

I didn't know how blatantly racist so much of the UK still is. When the Floyd protests spread to Britain, I thought it was solidarity with America, I didn't realise how much of a problem we still had. Now I do.

It's been a very valuable period of learning indeed[/QUOTE

Problem ? People are fed up with right ons ramming an agenda down their throats , to be ho nest i would say a lot of people are pissed off with it to be fair , welcome to the real world
Regards
DF

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Problem ? People are fed up with right ons ramming an agenda down their throats , to be ho nest i would say a lot of people are pissed off with it to be fair , welcome to the real world
Regards
DF

People, or just you?

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Brilliant post.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A lot of the statue removal is, in my view, stable door stuff.

We do need to ensure that the real history is taught and not just the sanitised aren't we wonderful version.

I do wonder about the motivation of some of the peoples actions.
The headstones in Rottingdean have been there since 1962 yet only this week has the church considered them offensive, Hypocrisy. How many churches were funded by wealthy people who made their fortunes at the expense of other peoples suffering but were considered "good christians"
Perhaps these should be removed ?
How many devout muslims are taught about the Arab muslim slave traders who supplied the European slave traders?

People don't know or want to understand this.

Exactly, there is a denial how the transatlantic slave trade was enabled. Anyone would think that we turned up on the shore of Africa with nets to catch the indigenous peoples. Just youtube: The Untold Story of Arab Slave Trade Of Africans

The transatlantic slave trade wasn't the icing on the cake, it was the cherry.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Jan 30, 2008

I don't remember doing British imperialism, enslavement, and oppression at school. We did Romans, Saxons and Vikings, Battle of Hastings, Tudors, Industrial Revolution, WWI, WWII, Cold War.

I suspect the public as a whole have learned more in the past couple of weeks about British history than they have in decades.

It's nice to know your history and not have it censored by neo Marxists
Regards
DF

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
People don't know or want to understand this.

Exactly, there is a denial how the transatlantic slave trade was enabled. Anyone would think that we turned up on the shore of Africa with nets to catch the indigenous peoples. Just youtube: The Untold Story of Arab Slave Trade Of Africans

The transatlantic slave trade wasn't the icing on the cake, it was the cherry.

What denial? Even in the West we know slavery was a fundamental aspect of the great civilisations; Egypt, Greece, Rome. Why would anyone deny it was undoubtedly part of the world, and a form of power and control? Not really sure what your point is?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

If you did the Romans, Saxons, Vikings and the Normans at school then you should have done slavery, all 4 were invaders that oppressed the inhabitants of this island.

I am pretty sure Tacitus refers to when a Roman Emperor happened across some fair headed blue eyed children from Britain at a Roman Slave Market , and referred to them as Angels.....his words not mine, but enslaved our ancestors were..

The Normans were probably the best documented invaders, the doomsday book references parts of the country that were not of any economic or financial worth (many in Sussex) these records are inconsistent with Saxon records of taxes, which indicates they were levelled by the Normans, check out the Harrying of the North too, a quaint expression for essentially genocide.

The Tudor period was full of religious upheaval, and mob justice.......not great.

Industrial Revolution and the world wars, great areas to explore white privilege.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you did the Romans, Saxons, Vikings and the Normans at school then you should have done slavery, all 4 were invaders that oppressed the inhabitants of this island.

I am pretty sure Tacitus refers to when a Roman Emperor happened across some fair headed blue eyed children from Britain at a Roman Slave Market , and referred to them as Angels.....his words not mine, but enslaved our ancestors were..

The Normans were probably the best documented invaders, the doomsday book references parts of the country that were not of any economic or financial worth (many in Sussex) these records are inconsistent with Saxon records of taxes, which indicates they were levelled by the Normans, check out the Harrying of the North too, a quaint expression for essentially genocide.

The Tudor period was full of religious upheaval, and mob justice.......not great.

Industrial Revolution and the world wars, great areas to explore white privilege.

Thought The Normans series on BBC was very good. Had no idea they had conquered quite so far.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I'm sure many teachers would love to teach that to malleable young minds some probably already do. See also white privilege. By year 11 the next generation of Guardian readers will be ready to take their place in society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here