Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There's none so blind as he who will not see.

If you think that all this is just because people are jolly cross because of all the things you are surmising they are raging about, you are completely deluded. Have you heard the expression "hostile environment"? Try googling Anthony Bryan.

Brits are still overwhelmingly supportive of the Hostile Environment policy on illegal immigration despite The Windrush fiasco.....They dont appear to be jolly cross about it....although a minority are.

"However, the approach that has led to such problems for the Windrush generation – the policy often described as the "hostile environment" – still has overwhelming public support. In principle, seven in ten (71%) support a policy of requiring people to show documents proving their right to be in Britain in order to do things such as taking up employment, renting a flat, or opening a bank account. Just 15% oppose this. Asked about specific situations, 82% think people should have to prove their right to be in the UK before accepting a job, 79% before registering with a GP and 74% before renting a home."

HE.jpg

"In other words, just because the public think the government's handling of the Windrush generation has been poor, it doesn't follow that they have stopped supporting the policies that caused those difficulties."

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/04/27/where-public-stands-immigration

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can you elaborate on this? Or point me in the direction for some links or something?

Not after an argument, just want to make sure I'm as informed as I can be.

I'd be interested in the same information, too, please.

I know there is the BLM website (that talks of 'smashing capitalism' and stuff), created by a few activists who have nothing to do with, and no control over the wider BLM movement. I presume he has more info on sinister forces controlling the movement, and doesn't just mean those?

Well, this report on Fox news shines a light on some of the vicious in-fighting, the clear lack of leadership and split ideals that is tearing the BLM movement apart...

[tweet]1272559442953859073[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brits are still overwhelmingly supportive of the Hostile Environment policy on illegal immigration despite The Windrush fiasco.....They dont appear to be jolly cross about it....although a minority are.

"However, the approach that has led to such problems for the Windrush generation – the policy often described as the "hostile environment" – still has overwhelming public support. In principle, seven in ten (71%) support a policy of requiring people to show documents proving their right to be in Britain in order to do things such as taking up employment, renting a flat, or opening a bank account. Just 15% oppose this. Asked about specific situations, 82% think people should have to prove their right to be in the UK before accepting a job, 79% before registering with a GP and 74% before renting a home."

View attachment 124947

"In other words, just because the public think the government's handling of the Windrush generation has been poor, it doesn't follow that they have stopped supporting the policies that caused those difficulties."

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/04/27/where-public-stands-immigration

This is from over two years ago. Many in public sector roles in the US have been astonished at how much public opinion has shifted in the space of two weeks. Two years is a lifetime in politics.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is from over two years ago. Many in public sector roles in the US have been astonished at how much public opinion has shifted in the space of two weeks. Two years is a lifetime in politics.

I dont see what public sector opinions in the United States over the last two weeks (on something you havnt defined what their opinion is on) has to do with the hostile environment policy on illegal immigration in this country.

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, All Lives Matter.

But you are just showing that you do not understand what Black Lives Matter is all about.... and probably don't want to understand.

And Boris Johnson in his announcement of an enquire today - or the NATURE of that enquiry - has shown that he hasn't got a clue either.
I see , so you're endorsing black on black murders,
Right on bro !
Regards
DF

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

View attachment 124947

Hostile environment seems like an unnecessarily bad phase for this. Sounds like they meant it as a dog whistle?

To me that everything you said it's just checking people are allowed to do the things they're trying to do. Which seems like a common sense policy of law enforcement.

The windrush scandal good beyond that, that was incompetence, likely a bit of racism thrown in, and target setting (which I think the public would have much less support for)

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I've not but, as I said to symyjym, I feel it's important to look at all sides of a discussion even if it means listening to voices I'd rather not.

I don't hold out much hope, but fair play to you for trying.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hostile environment seems like an unnecessarily bad phase for this. Sounds like they meant it as a dog whistle?

To me that everything you said it's just checking people are allowed to do the things they're trying to do. Which seems like a common sense policy of law enforcement.

The windrush scandal good beyond that, that was incompetence, likely a bit of racism thrown in, and target setting (which I think the public would have much less support for)

This. White Britons have to do that too. It's like asking if someone should be credit checked as part of a mortgage application.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Being someone of their time is nothing like the analogy you tried. You are a person of your time, this very day you are doing things that people all over the country, continent, world are doing. You are not following orders to do something you know is abhorrently wrong (hopefully !)

In a few hundred years though, maybe your actions today will be seen as horrendous, but who knows right now.

That's a very interesting way of looking at things; just how will the generation of today be viewed by our great, great grandchildren in a couple of hundred years time? "WTF, they ate animals? The barbarians".

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me - and I say that as a rampant carnivore. A carnivore who I imagine like most, gives little thought to the animal from whence it came as I tuck into a 12oz sirloin, but who equally wouldn't find it comfortable witnessing its death in an abattoir. It's easy to turn a blind eye to cruelty (and feel to convince me otherwise that killing an animal isn't 'cruel') when it is ingrained and normalised in the culture you grow up in. Incidentally, we still consider it barbaric to kill and eat a dog, because we like dogs, but not cows, pigs or sheep. It's odd, really.

Let me be really, really clear here, I am not conflating animals with African slaves. That is not the point. The parallel I'm referencing is how concepts prevail in society; it's easier to overlook something that is wrong as an individual when society as a whole says it's largely ok.

I'm not using it as a defence of past generations who have done wrong either, absolutely not - I'm simply making the point that we should not assume that we have reached the pinnacle of moral enlightenment; we may have the moral high ground when shining a light on the past, but probably not the future. There's a lot we get wrong, myself absolutely included.

If these times are teaching us anything, it's that we need to be doing a lot more soul searching both as individuals and as a collective. I've made light of green issues in the past myself, but recoiling from our killing of the planet would probably be a good place to start...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here