Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Keir really credible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well the two posters …(mainly one) who got it there are banned ..so maybe it has a chance …good on Bozza for shifting it …perhaps though I’m being naive in thinking we might see a reasoned debate and respectful exchange of views.
Back to football and miscellaneous threads for me ….

Ps..I would like to see him questioned a bit more on how he intends to get us zero carbon by 2030 in the relatively short period between then and the next GE

Well I hope you're right :thumbsup:

Those will be the same posters who helped to get the Brexit thread binned, so maybe that will be next to get moved to the Main Board. We really do need to work out what we are going to do about the NIP and lack of customs controls going forward, together with plans to help exporters, the fishing and agriculture industries and any new trade deals effecting other industries.

And I see that Truss has raised the issue of EU immigration again.

It would be good to see a a reasoned debate and respectful exchange of views on those subjects that are effecting so many too.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The way I see it is that Liz and KamiKwasi have bet the house on minting millionaires to somehow turbo charge the economy. Let's be generous and say there is a 10% chance of it working against all conventional logic.

1. If it does, Happy days at the next election. 5 more years and undoubtedly more extreme versions of these policies inflicted on us.

2. If it doesn't, Labour win but inherit a situation so desperate they have nowhere to go. They then get the blame for all the strikes and the pound being worth next to sod all when you go abroad because people have short memories.

Whether Kier is credible or not doesn't really matter. Unless he really messes something up, he will pick up votes if the situation deteriorates as badly as expected. Even those turned off by politics will notice interest rates spiralling, energy bills going through the roof and the PM having as much charisma as a rusty spoon.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Liz Truss is Prime Minister. A hat would have more credibility than her.

Starmer shouldabsolutely stroll the next election. I don’t think he will, but he should.

Last edited:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The way I see it is that Liz and KamiKwasi have bet the house on minting millionaires to somehow turbo charge the economy. Let's be generous and say there is a 10% chance of it working against all conventional logic.

1. If it does, Happy days at the next election. 5 more years and undoubtedly more extreme versions of these policies inflicted on us.

2. If it doesn't, Labour win but inherit a situation so desperate they have nowhere to go. They then get the blame for all the strikes and the pound being worth next to sod all when you go abroad because people have short memories.

Whether Kier is credible or not doesn't really matter. Unless he really messes something up, he will pick up votes if the situation deteriorates as badly as expected. Even those turned off by politics will notice interest rates and energy bills going through the roof.

I agree with point 2, but the con / lib dem coalition hardly inherited a great economy in 2010.

Most incoming governments inherit a crap economy, its way the last lot got booted out.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How can he be credible when he accepted comps and to be wined and dined at a Crystal Palace home game in April?

He's lost my vote!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A succession of Tory leaders can wreck the economy while further enriching their wealthy backers - and yet Starmer is the one whose credibility is being questioned?

Labour leaders are held to higher standards, which I suppose is logical in a way, as it's taken as read that Tories are only out for themselves. But it has been especially surreal this past weekend to hear Kuenssberg et al demanding Starmer that explain how he would fund his policies as Truss's ex-boyfriend crashes the pound..

theres a good reason, its all about the debt. does Starmer offer an alternative thats lower net debt, or reshuffling the same revenue/expediture?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, I think he is credible. Doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything he says but he is certainly credible as compared with the new PM. He should walk the next general election given the Tories have adopted a fairly unique combination of far left overall fiscal policy and ignoring the interests of the majority of the population outside of the SE of England. It is still important that he is a credible alternative in his own right though as the thought of both main parties abandoning fiscal prudence really doesn’t bear thinking about. We baton down the hatches for eighteen months and hope not too much damage is done.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Whether Kier is credible or not doesn't really matter. Unless he really messes something up, he will pick up votes if the situation deteriorates as badly as expected. Even those turned off by politics will notice interest rates spiralling, energy bills going through the roof and the PM having as much charisma as a rusty spoon.

"Levelling up" seems to now mean "all of you are in the shit".

I'd be getting a Labour team out and about in red wall seats, actually listening to people's concerns rather than talking at them and form a policy to help the working class that has a bit more substance than 'blah blah immigrants, blah blah woke, blah blah levelling up'.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Anyone else here listen to Nicky Campbell interview KS this morning?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001bkf4

I thought he KS did well, pressured about not joining picket lines, his rationale makes complete sense. As did not falling into the trap when pressured by left wing callers into promising re-entry into the EU, nationalising all industries privatised in the past [imho it would be too easy to promise the earth at this moment as Tory governments come to the end of their 14 years life .... Labour riding high in the polls].

Starmer will need to balance the books when in office, give the bloke a chance.

[MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] ... did you listen, what did you make of it?

Big three to renationalise

Railways
Water
Energy Distribution

Looks like Louise Haigh may be about to announce the first one.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, I think he is credible. Doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything he says but he is certainly credible as compared with the new PM. He should walk the next general election given the Tories have adopted a fairly unique combination of far left overall fiscal policy and ignoring the interests of the majority of the population outside of the SE of England. It is still important that he is a credible alternative in his own right though as the thought of both main parties abandoning fiscal prudence really doesn’t bear thinking about. We baton down the hatches for eighteen months and hope not too much damage is done.

A far left fiscal policy? Abandoning the top rate of tax? Lifting rules on bankers bonuses?

No no

A far left policy would involve higher taxes and higher redistribution. Not lower taxes and concentrating wealth at the top.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Welcome on board :thumbsup:

A bit late for me, as I advised on here at the time using the exact same term, mine got firmly battened down 3 years ago the moment Johnson got his majority :wink:

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To answer the original question, he's certainly more credible than most of the muppets who've been in powerful positions for the last few years. When it comes to something as important as running the country, dull but intelligent and reliable is fine by me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit late for me, as I advised on here at the time using the exact same term, mine got firmly battened down 3 years ago the moment Johnson got his majority :wink:

An investments question for you. When your IFA buys units for you in US or Global funds, does he buy in the GBP or USD fund versions? Both are often available, I think most choose the former.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I heard somewhere that nationalisation is actually quite popular with a lot of Tory voters, particularly in the "red wall"

Think nationalising EVERYTHING might be a bit of a stretch but give us trains and/or water and it could be a big vote winner

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
An investments question for you. When your IFA buys units for you in US or Global funds, does he buy in the GBP or USD fund versions? Both are often available, I think most choose the former.

I believe (and hope) he does both depending on the current situation, but it's a good point and one I will check :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A far left fiscal policy? Abandoning the top rate of tax? Lifting rules on bankers bonuses?

No no

A far left policy would involve higher taxes and higher redistribution. Not lower taxes and concentrating wealth at the top.

It has the same effect as a far left fiscal policy ie bigger Government borrowing and consequent higher interest rates. The other stuff is detail, albeit politically important. I prefer economics to politics. Limits on banker bonuses have little to do with redistribution. They exist to disincentivize consequence free risky behaviour and for that reason should still be in place. Abandoning the top rate of tax is economically illiterate as that money will be saved not spent and not on investment. Trickle down economics is imo nonsense. It is pointless like pretty much everything in last week’s budget. The consequences for the economy may be fairly similar to those which would have followed the election of a Corbyn Government.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I heard somewhere that nationalisation is actually quite popular with a lot of Tory voters, particularly in the "red wall"

Think nationalising EVERYTHING might be a bit of a stretch but give us trains and/or water and it could be a big vote winner

The only thing these uber fiscally liberal criminals will nationalise is Cos Play Thatcher's Union Jack knickers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here