Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Keir really credible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In terms of electoral reform, it's proponents need to coalesce around an alternative and get out there and sell it.

It's all very well saying that the current system has given us the worst government in 100 years, but where's the positive case for the alternative? All I see is various comments about scrapping FPTP

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Is Sir Kier really credible?

Yes. I think he is credible. He's a thoughtful and measured man. He would run the country professionally and competently.

He's jumping through the millions of hoops any labour leader needs to jump through to get Labour elected right now, but once he's in, you'll see who he really is and what he really believes in
Funniest thing I've read all week

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not a lot to laugh about when the pound's on parity with the dollar, billionaires are getting a tax cut while the rest of us can't afford heating and the far right are taking over in Sweden and Italy. In comparison to that Jim Davidson is chucklesome.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Happy for you to elaborate. Though I think you'll struggle to come up with much that will even survive the mildest scrutiny otherwise you'd have put it on your initial response.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A succession of Tory leaders can wreck the economy while further enriching their wealthy backers - and yet Starmer is the one whose credibility is being questioned?

Labour leaders are held to higher standards, which I suppose is logical in a way, as it's taken as read that Tories are only out for themselves. But it has been especially surreal this past weekend to hear Kuenssberg et al demanding Starmer that explain how he would fund his policies as Truss's ex-boyfriend crashes the pound..

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Is Sir Kier really credible?

Yes. I think he is credible. He's a thoughtful and measured man. He would run the country professionally and competently.

If ex-lawyer Keir Starmer had any credibility, he would promise to go after those who embezzled billions from the government during the pandemic but kept much of the money for themselves. Such as Dido Harding* and her £37 billion Test and Trace contract.

* until recently also a Director of the Bank of England

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
That is the new level of irrationality that we have descended to sadly. There was another poster on here that recently started trying to promote Blair as the biggest bogeyman of all time too.

It's a desperation to shift the focus away from the last 12 years of snowballing diminishing standards in Tory government at any cost....The downslides of Brexit, the incompetence, the genuine corruption and sleaze of this government have to be distracted from in any way possible and this is the current end result. The hypocrisy is astounding but these peoples views somehow are allowed to go mostly unchallenged.

When a Prime Minister can use parliamentary privilege to lie about his actions, smear the leader of the Opposition as being to blame for not prosecuting Saville, be an overt racist and blame a government over 12 years past for current disasters this is where you end up.

I agree, we are in a terrible place, but....

Comic sans?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For Starmer the arrival of Truss is good news, Johnson was good at playing on Labour's lawn and a gaslighting expert in convincing people of vote against their own interests.

Personally I have never voted Labour but if I was in a winnable seat I'd vote for them now.

I like the ambition to get to net zero on electricity by 2030, really need to put the pedal to the metal. This also presents a golden opportunity for green jobs, really is a win - win.

We need to make Britain great again, plunging trade, soaring debt, no growth and a tanking currency. We need someone with fresh ideas, the world has lost faith in us

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Kier is probably the first Labour prime minister I would actually vote for if he was my MP. He's doing exactly what he should be doing, staying clear of the dogma of the hard left and being clear on policy only when he really needs to (and should) be (e.g. re-instate 45% tax)

He'll need to switch gears nearer any election and the job right now is to align and continue to align the party as best he can. Labour will need unity more than anything else to win the next election.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If ex-lawyer Keir Starmer had any credibility, he would promise to go after those who embezzled billions from the government during the pandemic but kept much of the money for themselves. Such as Dido Harding* and her £37 billion Test and Trace contract.

Well, when he was Director of Public Prosecutions, pursuing those suspected of embezzlement would have come under his remit. As Prime Minister he might be able to put more info into the public domain, but going after suspected criminals won't be his responsibility.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well let's just hope it was worth moving out of the pit :lolol:

Well the two posters …(mainly one) who got it there are banned ..so maybe it has a chance …good on Bozza for shifting it …perhaps though I’m being naive in thinking we might see a reasoned debate and respectful exchange of views.
Back to football and miscellaneous threads for me ….

Ps..I would like to see him questioned a bit more on how he intends to get us zero carbon by 2030 in the relatively short period between then and the next GE

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh for an injection of charisma. I think he’s a good man who needs to work on his delivery because it looks like the only thing to stop the rot is a change of government.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For Starmer the arrival of Truss is good news, Johnson was good at playing on Labour's lawn and a gaslighting expert in convincing people of vote against their own interests.

Personally I have never voted Labour but if I was in a winnable seat I'd vote for them now.

I like the ambition to get to net zero on electricity by 2030, really need to put the pedal to the metal. This also presents a golden opportunity for green jobs, really is a win - win.

We need to make Britain great again, plunging trade, soaring debt, no growth and a tanking currency. We need someone with fresh ideas, the world has lost faith in us

in a battle of uncharismatic and competent and uncharismatic and incompetent, Starmer is going to gain a lot. he is simply a more credible looking leader.

on net zero, they start being honest about how this will be delivered. its not a investment question, the money will be there if good reliable margins are. its about permissions, will involve bypassing lots of regulation and planning obstacles to get stuff built on a accelerated time frame. there's many wind projects in various states of prgress, taking 7-9 years from permission to building. something has to dramatically change here.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think I'm now at the stage where I don't even care what Labour would do in power because it simply cannot be worse. For a long, long period I was centre-right in my politics but this (and the previous 4) government have completely destroyed any faith I had that the Tory's were even slightly fiscally responsible. That was always their big win for me as, although it may have been a fallacy even then, they did at least try for some degree of stability.

In it's current incarnation, there is literally NOTHING Starmer or anyone else could do (Labour or otherwise) that would scare me enough to vote for the Conservatives.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
is it the most burning issue for the country though? Starmer thinks not. those in Labour proposing this not are doing so not out of principle. what happens when a replacement system doesnt lead to the intended outcome, campaign to change it again?

the outcome will be far more "accurate" with some form of pr, so there will be no need to change the system again.

as an aside we should look at teaching 11 to 16 year olds economics, instead of religion

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

but not johnson or truss........................... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
at this point I really don't think it matters that much how credible he is, he probably does have enough to win the next GE (probably not outright). These things come to a natural end and perhaps it's just time for a change

Not sure David Cameron was particularly credible in 2010 either

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
A succession of Tory leaders can wreck the economy while further enriching their wealthy backers - and yet Starmer is the one whose credibility is being questioned?

Labour leaders are held to higher standards, which I suppose is logical in a way, as it's taken as read that Tories are only out for themselves. But it has been especially surreal this past weekend to hear Kuenssberg et al demanding Starmer that explain how he would fund his policies as Truss's ex-boyfriend crashes the pound..

Isn't that because the default start to every answer to every question asked of Labour politicians is to tell us what we already know instead of actually answering the question? SKS did this a lot on Sunday with LK although he did eventually answer some of the questions asked, I'll give him that. I know all politicians do this but telling us over and over again that the Tory's have messed up when we already know this instead of telling us what they would do differently is rather exasperating.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
the outcome will be far more "accurate" with some form of pr, so there will be no need to change the system again.

as an aside we should look at teaching 11 to 16 year olds economics, instead of religion

I did economics at school 50 years ago . I also did religion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here