Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Keir really credible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This. I have absolutely no idea why people feel the leader needs to be "exciting" or a "character". Have we learnt nothing from the problems with electing leaders on a cult of personality?

We need someone who is dull, grey, and just gets on with the job.

Whilst I don't disagree with your point, your post more or less describes Teresa May perfectly who in part was sacked for being too dull. My mum voted Tory at the last election because "Oh, I like Boris" Having a personality shouldn't really matter but it certainly does especially to those who don't care most of the time about politics.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As Conservative PM's went, he was certainly one of the better ones.

At least the man had integrity, something that is sadly lacking amongst politicians now.

I'm afraid that he, together with the political party he used to lead, exited stage left a good few years ago now, long before that well known right wing Home Secretary Theresa May found herself on the extreme left of the current 'party' :shrug:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm afraid that he, together with the political party he used to lead, exited stage left a good few years ago now, long before that well known right wing Home Secretary Theresa May found herself on the extreme left of the current 'party' :shrug:

Well that's exactly my point, the Conservative Party that rules the country today, is poles apart from the one that he led.

Conservative politics has lurched alarmingly to the right, to the extent that Sir John Major has distanced himself from it in recent years.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not sure how this will work with the Union boys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63037696

Labour is back in the centre ground of British politics and ready to offer the country a "fresh start" under his leadership, Sir Keir Starmer will say.

But Diane Abbott, on the Labour front benches under Jeremy Corbyn, said she hoped the party leader will be campaigning for "radical policies".

The former shadow home secretary, who is not at the Labour Party conference this week, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there were "good signs" on Monday, adding that she hoped Sir Keir would not seek to distance himself from the trade union movement.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This. I have absolutely no idea why people feel the leader needs to be "exciting" or a "character". Have we learnt nothing from the problems with electing leaders on a cult of personality?

We need someone who is dull, grey, and just gets on with the job.

Truth

Integrity

Conviction

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I don't disagree with your point, your post more or less describes Teresa May perfectly who in part was sacked for being too dull. My mum voted Tory at the last election because "Oh, I like Boris" Having a personality shouldn't really matter but it certainly does especially to those who don't care most of the time about politics.

I probably should've also included the word competent. I think May went because of her attempt at a Brexit deal not being popular enough with enough of her party.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A very eloquent caller on Nicky Campbell's phone in accused Polly Toynbee of being a spokesperson for the enemies of labour (because she supports Starmer).

Some really weird sad old lefties, unable to get over the great victory snatched from Corbyn due to all the lies about his ambivalence to the EU and his unwillingness to condemn antisemitism (he definitely did condemn it at least 7 times when asked, but on another 100 occasions he instead condemned all forms of discrimination).

Is Starmer credible? Apparently he's a cosplay Blair so, no. Cosplay Blair vs cosplay Thatcher? Let's all rush off and put all our money on a Liberal Democrat majority parliament in 2 years.

(I fear that some noisy people are simply not keeping up)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What a massive day for Sir Keir.

A 17 point lead. Odds on to be the next PM. Tories in a reputation trashing, death spiral.

Massive day for him and for British politics. I'll be watching him today and wishing him well.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What a massive day for Sir Keir.

A 17 point lead. Odds on to be the next PM. Tories in a reputation trashing, death spiral.

Massive day for him and for British politics. I'll be watching him today and wishing him well.

As he goes full on Blair today, the game is certainly there for him to lose now.

I wonder if the likes of McLuskey and Long-Bailey will be applauding.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As he goes full on Blair today, the game is certainly there for him to lose now.

I wonder if the likes of McLuskey and Long-Bailey will be applauding.

The thing about Blair though is that a lot of people liked him and a lot of people voted for him.

That number will increase further if McClusky and Long Bailey don't clap his speech

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed. If the prevailing narrative becomes that he can be seen to have successfully wrenched the party away from the far left, I think he'll do very well at the next election.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here