Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it time to cash in on Lewis Dunk?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do I think Brighton should sell our captain and arguably the best defender we've had since Lawrenson - absolutely not.

White has never played in the Premier League, Duffy is no ball-player, Burn is presently our left-back and last I looked Clarke was putting through his own net.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How arsenal haven’t signed him, I will never know . Maybe snobbery . If so, they are deluding themselves again .

This big time! It's just incredible and must amaze any sensible Arsenal fan who knows the football. As you suggested have they got some ' big club' skewed mentality that drives them to keep seeking over priced foreign players. Dunk would not have needed to move from Sussex and you would not have blamed him if the money was right for him and the Albion.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Do I think Brighton should sell our captain and arguably the best defender we've had since Lawrenson - absolutely not.

White has never played in the Premier League, Duffy is no ball-player, Burn is presently our left-back and last I looked Clarke was putting through his own net.

Not looking to have a dig at your post but I think we are well beyond the arguable now. If there was a greatest ever Brighton 11 Dunk would partner Lawrenson at centre half.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I know this is going to get a few feathers ruffled but do you think it is time to cash in on Lewis Dunk?

With players like Ben White, Adam Webster, Shane Duffy, Leo Östigard, Dan Burn and Matt Clarke all natural central defenders, do you think any of them could step up and replace Dunk?

I cannot count how many blocks Dunk has made this year in front of goal, and it makes me nervous even suggesting it, but Brighton could get a tidy penny for him which they will not get in a couple of years being that he will be 29 this year.

A bigger question might be would he want to go?

No feathers are ruffled mate, it's just a terrible idea.

In each of the 3 seasons we've been up, had we not had Dunk we'd have been relegated, possibly bottom.

Even if we knew we would stay up, (and we don't) it's not worth it. Having an international quality centre back for the next 5 years is worth more than £40m. And what striker would the £40m get us? Joelinton? I'd literally want to puke if we made that trade.

No no. We build for the future, to get up the table.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Absolutely this and sadly it would appear if Dunk has any ambition to play for the national side then his future is not here. With the Euros next summer I think he will want to go this year.

But as you say don't begrudge him a move in the slightest.......unless he goes to Palace!

The conversation was Dunk going to a BIG club...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
On an alternative note to my earlier post, Leicester and Athletico Madrid are two sides who have consistently sold their best players and each time produced a player of similar/better ability in the same position after they've cashed in

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Aside from being our best player by a mile I think people are getting carried away about his worth based on his age. I'm not convinced that any of the big boys will pay upward of £30 m when he will be 29 in October. Tottenham or Arsenal should have had the sense to sign him up a couple of years back.

Exactly - I posted this on the Ben White thread a couple of weeks ago:-

I honestly think that IF a big club came in with a serious offer, Albion would be willing to let Dunk leave, given the incredible service he has provided Albion over the years. That is a huge IF though - as far as I am aware, the last firm bid that we received was from WBA (yes, WBA) back in July 2016 when we rejected bids of 7 and 8 million pounds. It was reported that West Ham and Arsenal "registered interest" in the summer of 2018 but I'm not sure there were any definitive bids for him.

Lewis is now 28 (he will be 29 in November). I seriously doubt that any club that could afford to make a bid that Tony would listen to, would be willing to at this stage given Lewis' age. And I haven't seen any sign that he wants out of Brighton. His agent (former Albion player David Lee) said this about him in October 2018:-

"He's building a house at the moment in Hassocks. He obviously loves Brighton. You can tell the way he reacts when they have won a game. He loves the club. They have been great to him and he has rewarded them as well. He's happy. If top teams come along then it's a difficult one for the club and the boy but he might have a testimonial in a couple of years and we'll see what happens. There's no rush. Put it this way, he's not going to come to me and say 'Move me on', he never has. Tony (Bloom) has been great with him. Name another player in the Premier League who has signed five five-year contracts on the spin? I've never heard of it. Every year he has improved and they have looked after him, which is fantastic. I know Tony is very proud of having a homegrown player in the team."

Blimey - I think I've just convinced myself he is going to spend the rest of his career with us. :ohmy:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
No. He may leave if money talks, but as our captain and best player he is irreplaceable IMO as we couldn't attract a player of his quality AND experience. Therefore the notion of 'cashing in' makes no sense.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There is a case for selling him, magnificent though he is.

It’s probably our last chance to get really big money for him.
We would still have a few decent centre backs. I think Webster would rise to being the leader.
If it was north of £40m, and that money And a bit more would be spent on a forward, I’d be tempted.

I think what makes him unique is that he is a local lad and whilst a 'Chelsea fan' is Brighton through and through. This creates the passion which enhances his skill and creates what we have i.e. arguably Brighton's best ever player. Those who say might get £40 million cash in really are seriously underestimating his contribution to our PL status.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
With players like Ben White, Adam Webster, Shane Duffy, Leo Östigard, Dan Burn and Matt Clarke all natural central defenders,

You can shift a lot of overburden, and still not find any diamonds....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why would we? If we need money we can get £50 quadzillion from leeds for Ben White.

I think that's their asking price.

I don't think we should pay more than £20m for Ben White, despite what the Leeds fans want for him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If he wanted to go for personal and professional reasons? He'd go with my 100% support and gratitude and nothing but best wishes for all future success.

But manufacture a scenario to actively sell him? I'd need a lot of convincing that that would be the right thing to do. (But, yes. It's not my money in the club, obvs.)

Everyone is available at a price...... so Arsenal, Everton, Spurs come calling.nwhat price do we accept

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think what makes him unique is that he is a local lad and whilst a 'Chelsea fan' is Brighton through and through. This creates the passion which enhances his skill and creates what we have i.e. arguably Brighton's best ever player. Those who say might get £40 million cash in really are seriously underestimating his contribution to our PL status.

I don't think so.

It's probably been mentioned already, but it comes down to two contrasting values...

1. What Dunk is worth to other clubs
2. What Dunk is worth to us.

2 > 1.

As a high quality 28-y-o centre-back, he may be worth £40m to an acquiring club.

To us, he's worth a fair bit more than that.

Zaha may find he's in the same valuation position up the road.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think so.

It's probably been mentioned already, but it comes down to two contrasting values...

1. What Dunk is worth to other clubs
2. What Dunk is worth to us.

2 > 1.

As a high quality 28-y-o centre-back, he may be worth £40m to an acquiring club.

To us, he's worth a fair bit more than that.

Zaha may find he's in the same valuation position up the road.

i think we are saying the same thing which is he is worth more than £40m to us as he has made such a large contribution to keeping us up . Certainly agree the Zaha comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here