Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Ian Hart A Knob ???

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
I disagree.
McCammon was in the position of being able to shoot his mouth off, and could be as aggressive as he liked. Harty had to keep a cool head and try to keep things cordial. All harty had said was that he didn't think McCammon was up to Championship standard, and look at the reaction he got from him just for that. If Harty had DARED to tell McCammon exactly what he thinks his deficiencies are as a player, then I think we'd have had an almighty slanging match, followed by the biggest FLOUNCE since Leon found out someone had been at his Haribos.
I think this is a good point. It's all very well saying that Harty should have turned the screw on McCammon but where would that leave the phone in at SCR? Their coverage relies to a certain extent on the players guesting on the show. Being aggressive and slagging off McCammon could have ended that very quickly. Would Mayo or Charlie come to the studio to be interviewed if their team mates were slagged off on the phone in by SCR staff? I bet Mayo felt pretty uncomfortable sitting there as it was.

Although I thought he was a bit unfair in his comments about Big Mac, I like Harty a lot, he does a fiendishly difficult job (like all of us, sometimes very well, sometimes less so) but I really appreciate the efforts he's made this past 12 months to improve the phone-in.

Hopefully the huge surge in his listening ratings won't tempt him to bait a player on to the phone-in every week though! ;) :D

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hope you older ones are going to use his funeral service when you depart. ???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dougdeep said:

No. I'm already booked with the Coop. I get £750 discount with the Coop.

Easy 10 said:
Harty was, I think, caught completely on the hop and was put in a very awkward position.

I disagree with you here Mr 10. Harty was not "put" in a very awkward position, he put HIMSELF in that position. He said Mark McCammon is not good enough at this level "and I will tell him that to his face". If he was not prepared to do so for the very valid reasons you have given I can understand that. But you can't throw down the gauntlet like that and then be political when someone takes up the challenge. Harty was right to skirt the issue somewhat for the sake of the club, player and show. But in that case he was also wrong to make the original statement live on air beforehand. I don't mean to have a pop at Harty because I think he's great but lets not view this with rose coloured specs because Harty is an Albion legend.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't know much about Harty. Only what I have read in the argus. He is not a knob, he gave his opinion. To say Big Mac is not good enough for this level is wrong. We have never seen the real Mark McCammon. Until we see him at 100% fitness, then you can't judge him on whether he makes the grade. Until then, he should take that into account.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lokki 7 said:
I disagree with you here Mr 10. Harty was not "put" in a very awkward position, he put HIMSELF in that position. He said Mark McCammon is not good enough at this level "and I will tell him that to his face". If he was not prepared to do so for the very valid reasons you have given I can understand that. But you can't throw down the gauntlet like that and then be political when someone takes up the challenge. Harty was right to skirt the issue somewhat for the sake of the club, player and show. But in that case he was also wrong to make the original statement live on air beforehand. I don't mean to have a pop at Harty because I think he's great but lets not view this with rose coloured specs because Harty is an Albion legend.
Are you saying that Harty should not be allowed to express an opinion on his show then, for fear of upsetting someone ?

I can see where you're coming from Lokki, and yes in an ideal world he should be able to back up his opinion if or when its being challenged by the person who he has criticised. Its a tricky one though, because Harty really can't go too far down the road of slagging players off (not that he'd want to), but equally, it'd be a dull show if he always had to bite his tongue and not express his own thoughts and opinions on players.

I find myself siding with Harty on this spat with McCammon though - criticism is all part of being a footballer. You accept the plaudits when you do well, so you should expect some stick when you're not performing (whatever the reasons). McCammon has been far too precious over this whole thing IMHO.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Met Harty at Fontwell Races a few years ago. He is a Top Bloke.

Easy 10 said:
Are you saying that Harty should not be allowed to express an opinion on his show then, for fear of upsetting someone ?

Of course not. I think this controversy makes for brilliant radio and has sparked the most intense and interesting debate of the season on NSC. I was surprised Harty made the original comment but fair play to him for being frank. I was even more surprised that big Mac responded, but that provided the perfect opportunity to continue to be frank (as Harty himself had said he would be to Mc's face). However Harty did not fully take that opportunity which was disappointing.

I'm just glad this incident occured as otherwise I might have been forced to actually get some work done this week.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
dougdeep said:
No, I intend to let him go first. Age before beauty. :p

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
227 BHA said:
I wasn't aware there was a licence fee payable for listening to a radio?

That "whooooosh" was the sound of the comparison flying over your head.

McCammon said that Harty should not be able to judge him because he had never played football at any serious level. Harty's response was to say that as a season ticket holder, he had the right to express opinions.

As BBC licence payers, we have the right to an opinion as well, whether we could do better or not is immaterial.

Amazing how this subject has polarized people on this board.

Alfie Noakes

Dec 5, 2004
Hove dear
Assuming Harty has to work his cock off to earn the cash to pay for a season ticket to watch the games and sit in the open getting pissed on and frozen like the rest of us and isn't best mates with the players and staff because of his priviliged position and has to queue for half an hour to get a burger or have a piss and explain to his son why watching a load of bollocks is good for his spiritual development..... then Harty is diamond.

Otherside he's a parasitic fuckwit.

I leave the final decision to my fellow NSC'ers.

Poll?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
work his cock off!!!!!!!

have you paid for a funeral

license to print money.you know you are being ripped off but how can you begrudge the cost of sending off one you love.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When you really think about it the job of the fans phone-in presenter is very tricky.

As fans we know some of the squad ain't up to the job and at least 95% of us must have commented privately to our friends that McCammon is a f***ing donkey.

Harty does a good job of saying what he thinks without alienating players or fans, but when players like Leon or McCammon swing the lead he'll tell it like it is.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:
No. I'm already booked with the Coop. I get £750 discount with the Coop.

Isn't that "Ned gets a 750 quid discount with the the Coop"? And he'll get his divi:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here