Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Hurzeler out of his depth?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
This is the Bloom model though, we see it working amazingly for players, some people on here don't think its acceptable for the manager? FH has got us in 6th in the premier league, and thats not good enough for some of you? Yes the football has been a bit erratic, but what a ride so far...Furthermore if he is still learning his craft, can you imagine where we might be with a full squad and another season under his belt???

Bloom hasn't failed us yet...oh ye of little faith

Last edited:

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
I believe he's talking about the players when stating 'they' . Mentioned in an earlier interview that he doesn't like to take the limelight and he does stay back at the end of away games and let the players take any plaudits due.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We all said at the start of the season with him being a new manager, a young manager, and with lots of new players in the squad having to learn his tactics that we would need to have patience. There was inevitably going to be some ups & downs in his first season... and 7 games in people are starting threads like this.

& add to that last night he was missing Pedro, Van Hecke, and O'Riley. All would start in that spine of the team.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sam Allardyce?
Geographically probably a non starter as he’s based in the North West, but someone of that ilk.

I don’t want to risk being flamed because of the obvious connections, but a Ray Lewington type figure perhaps?

You could argue Dean Wilkins could actually do the job required?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think anyone was wrong to be concerned at half-time. For weeks, our defence has been pretty easy to pick apart and it happened again. The second half was a different story.

Putting it down to spirit seems quite simplistic and a way of Hurzeler avoiding the limelight. True, Welbeck highlighted the input of Milner and Steele at half-time which obviously had some sort of effect on the youngsters particularly but there's no denying the subs worked a treat.

As well as Estupinan dovetailing so well with Mitoma and getting him central, it was noticeable on the highlights that Ferdi didn't seem quite in tune with the others on the offside trap just yet, dropping a bit too quick. Don't blame him against Johnson's pace but made us vulnerable.

Enciso gave us a dangerous fresh attacker to keep them on their toes. Wieffer helped shore things up (although Baleba was limping heavily for a while early in the half which may have contributed to that one).

Very heartened by the whole thing. I think it'd have been quite a difficult few weeks ahead for everyone's confidence if we'd lost limply.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't think anyone was wrong to be concerned at half-time. For weeks, our defence has been pretty easy to pick apart and it happened again. The second half was a different story.

Putting it down to spirit seems quite simplistic and a way of Hurzeler avoiding the limelight. True, Welbeck highlighted the input of Milner and Steele at half-time which obviously had some sort of effect on the youngsters particularly but there's no denying the subs worked a treat.

As well as Estupinan dovetailing so well with Mitoma and getting him central, it was noticeable on the highlights that Ferdi didn't seem quite in tune with the others on the offside trap just yet, dropping a bit too quick. Don't blame him against Johnson's pace but made us vulnerable.

Enciso gave us a dangerous fresh attacker to keep them on their toes. Wieffer helped shore things up (although Baleba was limping heavily for a while early in the half which may have contributed to that one).

Very heartened by the whole thing. I think it'd have been quite a difficult few weeks ahead for everyone's confidence if we'd lost limply.
A work in progress for sure, FH said our intensify isn't where it needs to be, so hopefully an improvement in that will see more halves like yesterday's second.

Defensively we have to do better somehow, it's just too easy for oppo to break the lines or lob a ball over the top. Poor old Dunky is having to sprint his heart out trying to chase back.

Get some form of defensive solidity and we'll be a lot better, we're gifting too many gilt edged chances right now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brilliant result but if we are being totally honest it does paper over the cracks slightly.

First half we were totally over ran and didn’t adapt to deal with it, you have to also question some of the changes, Baleba coming off in particular was a strange one and seemed to allow Spurs into it for the last 15 mins.

Very much early days, but would be foolish to allow a fantastic 45 mins to not allow us to question some of the flaws in the Chelsea performance and first 45 mins this afternoon.

I hope he can adapt and we can adapt accordingly, not very often will you go 2-0 down and still win the game.
Agreed up to a point. Yes the first half was of real concern and certainly Potter would have changed things tactically well before HT.

I hope that is a lesson learned.
With regard to the substitutions is it not possible that he is trying to get Wieffer up to speed in the PL?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Geographically probably a non starter as he’s based in the North West, but someone of that ilk.

I don’t want to risk being flamed because of the obvious connections, but a Ray Lewington type figure perhaps?

Am I right in thinking Wilkins could only cope with young players and pissed Murray off so much he wanted out not long after he’d arrived here? I am sure I heard about mutterings from older players about his managerial style not being great?

Personally I think having Steele, Milner and Welbeck is enough, we don’t need an old ex manager trying to put across his dinosaur tactics complicating things :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
just noticed on MOTD he still calls us " they"
Remember he's young, youngsters do this with their pronouns. I have read about it in the Daily Mail.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Why?

Genuine question because a) it's clearly not a Bloom/Brighton model and b) he seems to be doing just fine after seven games and you'd hope/assume the learning curve would continue upwards.

You're not 'being flamed' by me, but I see zero point in getting in someone from the past when the club and the manager are looking to the future. And I don't really get what job they would do anyway :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Definitely - he was talking about how ’they’ reacted. He doesn’t like to take the credit
It’s not the first time he’s made match winning subs. Against United when most managers would have wanted to hold on for a draw and maybe stick an extra defender on Fabian brings on fresh attacking players with a min to go and one of them sets up the winner.

He did the same with 5 mins to go against Arsenal when again most managers would have probably tried to play out the draw. It didn’t come off that time but he’s not afraid of a bold substitution that could bring him criticism if it goes another way.

The “they “ he uses in post match interviews seems to be referring to the players on the pitch and Fabian giving them credit for their performances. Rather than reference to the club as a whole.
Yup. It’s a German coach thing. It brings separation between coach and players and gives the players credit when we win. Many in the Bundesliga are the same.

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021

Your response is so deadpan I cant tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but just so we're clear, I was.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
I watched our defending second when they won the ball deep in their half.

As well us having the much discussed battlers disrupters slowing their counters, we left pacy players such as Estupinan and Baleba back to cover their running in behind.

Worked a treat. A must from now on.
He’s got to change something from the first half and Chelsea game as the line was way too high with no pace. It’s ok if chasing a game for a bit but not against top teams with pace. He really needs to learn fast, much as the turnaround was impressive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s got to change something from the first half and Chelsea game as the line was way too high with no pace. It’s ok if chasing a game for a bit but not against top teams with pace. He really needs to learn fast, much as the turnaround was impressive.
Is the highline the issue? We have, I believe, shipped just one goal as direct consequence of this. Or, as Hurzeler has said, the issue is the lack of pressing/intensity ahead of the line? The two goals we conceded yesterday were from positions of Albion possession.

Listened to him, and from what I have seen, I have made a u-turn and I feel the discussion about pace and highlines is a red herring. After all, nothing more than a simple tweak against Spurs quietened down a lively Timo Werner. Veltman isn’t known for his pace.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
Is the highline the issue? We have, I believe, shipped just one goal as direct consequence of this. Or, as Hurzeler has said, the issue is the lack of pressing/intensity ahead of the line? The two goals we conceded yesterday were from positions of Albion possession.

Listened to him, and from what I have seen, I have made a u-turn and I feel the discussion about pace and highlines is a red herring. After all, nothing more than a simple tweak against Spurs quietened down a lively Timo Werner. Veltman isn’t known for his pace.
Dont agree. Served up chance after chance with high line and there’s been a fair few goals with them getting behind. Forest / Chelsea / Spurs all scored from it. It’s not good and he needs to change it imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dont agree. Served up chance after chance with high line and there’s been a fair few goals with them getting behind. Forest / Chelsea / Spurs all scored from it. It’s not good and he needs to change it imo.
None of the Chelsea goals were a direct result of the high line. Same yesterday. As yesterday is fresh in the mind, can you explain how the high line contributed to either goal? We had plenty of players in position and quite deep for both Spurs goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here