Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Hurzeler out of his depth?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m a dinosaur granted 😂, but I would prefer Fabian to have an old head with him in the dugout, someone with experience at the top level EPL/Championship.

Someone who might have suggested in game changes at Stamford Bridge as an example.

Probably a bit old now but something like what Joe Jordan did for Redknapp at Pompey and Spurs.

Mark McGhee perhaps?

Or maybe James Milner as Player Coach might be the answer?

That said 6th, with four perceived home points dropped, it could be a lot worse, certainly won’t be down amongst the dead men, but I’m worried we might not have the M23 Derby this time next year. 🙈

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He’s finding his feet.

It is all a little chaotic, but so far we’re at the right end of the table.

He’s made a tactical change today that’s worked to a tee, so fair play to him. As long as he continues to adapt and does not adhere to a suicidal high line all the time, we’ll hopefully be fine.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seven games into a new league and bedding in a load of new players at the same time as managing the existing ones - and trying to put his stamp on the team - and he's got them to sixth.

Yeah mate, deffo time to get rid :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unbelievable

We have just beaten a top 7 Club 3:2 and are 6th place after 7 matches.

Yes the first half was shite and our tactics has been a work in progress but seriously a thread asking a leading question whether FH is ‘out of his depth’ after a second half and win like that 😳

WE BEAT SPURS. Did we expect to?

And not one positive comment about him in response to my post on the Fabian Hürzeler thread.

Trust NSC half glass moaners to piss on the fireworks.🙂
The thread was created before the second half.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'm guessing this is a work load thing as much as anything. He has quickly become an integral part of the Cameroon side and is likely to play two full matches over the international break. He is still only 20 (and only a year older than Hinshelwood).

One of the things that didn't seem to get picked up is as we were getting ready to make the Enciso sub Baleba pulled up and seemed to stretch something out on the edge of our own area like he'd felt a muscle. This led to us delaying the Enciso sub and quickly sorting out Weiffer to come on as he wasn't ready. This makes me think it was a precautionary sub so Carlos didn't injury himself further rather than anything that was planned.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I, like many others, was cursing his input at half time. But realistically, we have to say, he's learning the ropes and has some clear skills.

He made some very specific interventions tactically and with substitutions yesterday and at half time.

I genuinely think that display of resolve and togetherness might be the turning point for this team. Spurs may have collapsed but few teams would have handled the way we played in the 2nd half yesterday.

Everyone just needs a bit of time and patience and resilience from the fans.

How fickle football is. Looking at the spurs message boards. They were pretty cocky and overconfident yesterday before the match. Its finally happening etc!

After the match 'Ange is a dinosaur, who's this new German kid who turned him inside out?, one to keep an eye on'

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have some empathy with those venting at half time. I think what the second half proved is that the players also have to take some responsibility for their performances.

Glass half empty. Chelsea could have scored a lot more. We were overrun and out worked in the first half by a Spurs side who had played in Europe in midweek.
Glass half full - Chelsea beat us with a soft penalty and a wonder free kick taken fron nowhere near where the foul was committed. We may have been 2 down at half time versus Spurs but really we should have scored a couple ourselves and the second half really showed that. We are in touch with the top teams in the table and there is a lot more to come from this team.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I, like many others, was cursing his input at half time. But realistically, we have to say, he's learning the ropes and has some clear skills.

He made some very specific interventions tactically and with substitutions yesterday and at half time.

It’s not the first time he’s made match winning subs. Against United when most managers would have wanted to hold on for a draw and maybe stick an extra defender on Fabian brings on fresh attacking players with a min to go and one of them sets up the winner.

He did the same with 5 mins to go against Arsenal when again most managers would have probably tried to play out the draw. It didn’t come off that time but he’s not afraid of a bold substitution that could bring him criticism if it goes another way.

just noticed on MOTD he still calls us " they"
The “they “ he uses in post match interviews seems to be referring to the players on the pitch and Fabian giving them credit for their performances. Rather than reference to the club as a whole.

Last edited:

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021
I’m a dinosaur granted 😂, but I would prefer Fabian to have an old head with him in the dugout, someone with experience at the top level EPL/Championship.

Someone who might have suggested in game changes at Stamford Bridge as an example.

Probably a bit old now but something like what Joe Jordan did for Redknapp at Pompey and Spurs.

Mark McGhee perhaps?

Or maybe James Milner as Player Coach might be the answer?

That said 6th, with four perceived home points dropped, it could be a lot worse, certainly won’t be down amongst the dead men, but I’m worried we might not have the M23 Derby this time next year. 🙈
Sam Allardyce?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here