Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Holroyd sh*t? Another Davies/Dickinson?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Sorry what? Possibly the best striker in League One at winning knock downs/flick on headers.

All i seem to see of him, is how he gets bundled over. He's not Owusu who will fight defenders for the ball. A large majority of the flickons i've seen have been when he's been relvivly unchallenged.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Where does this 'Murray is shit in the air' come from did you see how many times he got above the Swindon beanpole to win a clearance from the defence but nobody was following up to pick up the loose ball.

Thats kind of my point. He flicks on the ball a lot yeah, but in a 4-5-1 which works for teh other 9 players, he doesn't perform. Flicking it on to the keeper/defender is shit. If he were able to challenge in the air to touch it down and then run with it more often then he would be scoring more often. While he has no strike patner he has to adapt his game. Gus cannot change a stable and solid 4-5-1 which has gotten us our first home win since the Slade Era at home in the league, and at least 5 points in three games against top six/eight sides away.

I don't think having a player who can flick the ball on to empty space is very useful with our formation, just an idea...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So it's Murray's fault that Crofts isn't getting into the positions he should be?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So it's Murray's fault that Crofts isn't getting into the positions he should be?

No, its Murrays fault he doesn't realise that he doesn't have a partner as he is the "1" in a 4-5-1.

Crofts should have gotten forward. But he didn't so whats the point in doing flickons all game when he should try to compeate with defenders to touch it down and then look to play it to crofts/dicker who play it to the wings/throw ball to him.

But he can't do that because he is awful in teh air when challenging to put the ball down, when faced with a defender. What i saw against Colchester screamed "cannot challenge effectivally when playing alone".

I do like Murray, he's a class player, i just don't think he is suited to a 4-5-1 more than any other player we've got bar maybe OGH or Forster. And i'm not saying lets start with OGH but what Hart does is gets up in a defenders space and makes them have to work rather than murray who a few times will stay on the floor, either because he just hasn't jumped (ala colchester) or he has been out musceled. If he gets teh ball to feet though, he can light up the league.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not as simple as that though is it? You can't always just "make" a header into a "bring down". A lot of the time it's just too high and Murray can only head it, the onus is thus COMPLETELY on Crofts/Holroyd/Forster etc to get on the end of those flick ons.

Did you see Gus yesterday absolutely berating Crofts for not getting up in support of Murray? He did not berate Murray for flicking it on to no one/putting that ball across the goal line for no one. Murray was doing his job (a very hard and thankless one in a 4-5-1), Crofts wasn't.

Regardless of this formation/previous formations Murray IS excellent in the air overall, no doubt about it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thats kind of my point. He flicks on the ball a lot yeah, but in a 4-5-1 which works for teh other 9 players, he doesn't perform. Flicking it on to the keeper/defender is shit. If he were able to challenge in the air to touch it down and then run with it more often then he would be scoring more often. While he has no strike patner he has to adapt his game. Gus cannot change a stable and solid 4-5-1 which has gotten us our first home win since the Slade Era at home in the league, and at least 5 points in three games against top six/eight sides away.

I don't think having a player who can flick the ball on to empty space is very useful with our formation, just an idea...

I think that you are expecting him to pick up the ball from Bezovan run the length of the pitch and score then be back helping out for a corner. Why do we have 11 players in a team.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I think that you are expecting him to pick up the ball from Bezovan run the length of the pitch and score then be back helping out for a corner. Why do we have 11 players in a team.

:thumbsup:

No, i expect him maybe to peform better in the air.

I may be a little harsh to crtisize Murray's areial ability rather in liu of defend Holroyd.

I think we need to play to Holroyd and Murray's srengths though, imo Both are better on teh floor.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If I remember rightly even Forster took a while to adjust to playing here, so it's very harsh to judge Holroyd off the back of just over 3 games playing time. And it's not as if any of the other forwards have been banging them in at Withdean for us lately is it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Murray should be getting on the end of his own flick-ons.
The lazy bastard.

Etc.

Where does this 'Murray is shit in the air' come from did you see how many times he got above the Swindon beanpole to win a clearance from the defence but nobody was following up to pick up the loose ball.

Quite agree BG but shows how poorly we played 4-5-1 on Saturday. Now where's that thread from a few weeks back on this? ???

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

If there anyone out there who seriously thinks Dickinson is a better headerer of the ball than Murray then they must be another planet.

Coca-Cola Kid

Feb 9, 2010
This guy is suppose to be a "one for the future" QUOTE]

One for the FUTURE doesn't mean he'll be playing at his peak in the PRESENT :facepalm:

Either get behind or keep your mouth shut.

Thread over :wave:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sorry but he is no better than Dixon at the moment and we need to loan him out and use Forster until the end of the season....At least he scores goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here