Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gustavo Poyet our best manager of all time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
OK. So using your measurement Gus will be our most successful manager ever if we end the season in the top 8?!

He actually needs to have a couple of seasons in Div 1 (Prem) before we can go here.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Seriously dude, would you want Forster or Cox in our squad now?

We are an attacking team, not a backs against the wall long ball team. He knows who is players are, Dunk has done very well at CB.
I think you are missing my point, all I'm saying is I am not totally convinced by Gus's man management with ceratin types of players. Maybe what Gus did was right "It's Gus's way or nothing", agreed it has worked to date but maybe it just caused a bit of friction in the squad. I don't know but in the normal work place it would not always go down to well.

As I said before Gus's acheivements are fantastic but just a tad too early to say "The Best".

Also let's the honest what a great time to take over the helm at The Albion with the new ground due in a season, sell out games, oh and Bloom. The money certainly helps let's not forget that!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He's a great manager yes but he also has the advantage of being with this club at possibly the best ever time in their history (thanks in no small part to Mr Bloom and Mr Knight for getting us to this point). However, if her gets us into The Premiership in the next two seasons then yes he will be. He has one advantage over Mullery, he never slags off his players in public.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
He's a great manager yes but he also has the advantage of being with this club at possibly the best ever time in their history (thanks in no small part to Mr Bloom and Mr Knight for getting us to this point). However, if her gets us into The Premiership in the next two seasons then yes he will be. He has one advantage over Mullery, he never slags off his players in public.
Totally agree, maybe the question should be "Is it the best Albion set up of all time", answer "Yes".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mullery was class for us. With grit, when there were set backs e.g. 1978.
Greatly helped by some TOP level players like Ward, Horton, Lawrenson.

Poyet climbing fast. Mixed times at Leeds & Spurs, have meant we're benefitting by lessons learned.
When you now see international and the better PL teams play, you can see he has brought their tactics to the lower divisions. Other than Swansea, almost unique.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I'm not sure the Amex would be the most suitable place.

I think I would prefer to see our 100 metre tall reinforced concrete statue on top of Ditchling Beacon.
Love it. Sod the Angel of the North, we'll have The Angel of The South :clap:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
EP

I completely agree with what you are saying but that is why one cannot compare managers.

As I said, GP turned around a pretty average bunch into 'Championship material' so who knows what can be achieved with the squad he has built subsequently which (by comparison with some of our Championship contenders) is, in my mind, not hugely spectacular.

I think the point about the squad Gus has assembled now is that, in Championship terms, it is very different to the norm in this division. I initially thought that we needed big, fast physical players to compete successfully in this league. Gus has assembled a team that has pace to burn and a high skill level but they're not the most physical. Its going to be fascinating to see how we get on with teams that relentlessly close us down and are fast on the break but we've made a pretty good start and I think the best is yet to come.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
1. Mullery
2. Lane
3. Poyet (and climbing ...)
4. Adams
5. Gritt
6. Brady
7. Taylor
8. Goodwin
9. Sayward
10. MacCauley

I also see another name missing, Chris Catlin, he was also a very good manager at this club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here