Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gustavo Poyet our best manager of all time.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
He's certainly done well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Alan Mullery (of whom I am not a fan) took us from Division 3 to Division 1 in three seasons, and kept us there for two years.

For me the greatest is Steve Gritt, he took a team that was 13 points adrift at the bottom of division 4, wracked by uncertainty about the club's future, and became the buffer between the players and the board, allowing us to escape by the skin of our teeth.

Gus, if he stays, could certainly become great, I would certainly say he is the most charismatic, even more so than Clough.

Agree 100% about Steve Gritt, schoolboy omission from my original list - he was the man for that time and arguably the most important manager we've ever had.

Sep 1, 2010
Not sure how comparisons are made with managers or players under the 'Best of all time' title. Comparing Mullery with Poyet is as daft as comparing Maradona with Messi. They are people from two different era's of the game. The game at this level is a lot more faster and technical these days along with a lot of other factors of the game that have completely changed

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

ah ha,well well-taste's another thing,that said,will sort the wheat from the chaff,still many good posters have none,i just think they are a good bonus.

Looks like a cross between Van damn & a computer game character???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For me it's still too early in Gus's career to say that he is the "best".

Mullery saw us promoted to the old division one and kept us there. McGhee did a fantastic job and the achievement of staying in the Championship with little to no money was massive.

I still like Coppell he so nearly kept us in the Championship for that second season, he never moaned just got on with the job and was tactially fantastic.

I have a couple of questions marks on Gus, if he doesn't like you your out as was the case with Forster and Cox and at present he does seem to be overlooking the defensive positions, I'd like to see a Centre Half and Goalkeeper come in and not just attackers as is the case.

I'm not taking anything away from Gus the stats say it all but maybe ask the question again in May.

Good post

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
personally and i think this is a compliment to Gus, but I think he has done for us a similar job as Arsene Wenger done when he came in at Arsenal. Difference is, Gus is ours and I think has the ability to become more successful then Wenger (one of the most highly respected managers/headcoaches in the world).

they could easily be compared as i said above for the changes made at the respective clubs, pure impact at start of tenure, the fans back them no matter what and the results, lets just hope Gus is with us 15 years down the line and continues being 'himself' not diluted or anything. HE IS A LEGEND already.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
For me it's still too early in Gus's career to say that he is the "best".

Mullery saw us promoted to the old division one and kept us there. McGhee did a fantastic job and the achievement of staying in the Championship with little to no money was massive.

I still like Coppell he so nearly kept us in the Championship for that second season, he never moaned just got on with the job and was tactially fantastic.

I have a couple of questions marks on Gus, if he doesn't like you your out as was the case with Forster and Cox and at present he does seem to be overlooking the defensive positions, I'd like to see a Centre Half and Goalkeeper come in and not just attackers as is the case.

I'm not taking anything away from Gus the stats say it all but maybe ask the question again in May.

I really dont think Gus is overlooking ANY positions in our team. The defence was pretty much dealt with last season and is more than holding its own in the championship and we have cover in defensive positions.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I really dont think Gus is overlooking ANY positions in our team. The defence was pretty much dealt with last season and is more than holding its own in the championship and we have cover in defensive positions.

Technically we "defend" by keeping possession,so stereotypical big lumps at the back,are therefore not required,however,defenders must first and foremost be required to-defend-unless your name is Gus Poyet.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
He's up there with Peter Taylor (the 1st) and Liam Brady.

Do these two realy compare with Allan Mullery or Jimmy Melia,if gus gets us into the Premiership which i beleive he will and it could be this season, or gets us to the FA cup final and we win it, then yes he will be up there with our best ever managers.

Last edited:

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
He has done incredible things. Micky Adams Pt. 1 took over a bunch of, let's face it, no hopers and with bunch of quality signings in his first season (Cullip, Watson, Zamora) made us into a great team at League Two level. By keeping the same bunch together the next season he took us to the top of League One, then left for a better job when he was, in hindsight, better off staying put. Undoubtedly in my mind, the Albion 'coming home' to Withdean and the whole Skint/fashionable club image we had at the time helped massively with the enthusiasm and 'spirit' - which is, for those of us who were at those games, how we won most our matches. Micky Adams was the right manager at the right time for us - ala Winston Churchill during the war - but you wouldn't want to necessarily invest too much in modelling a club around his image, if you get my meaning..

Gus Poyet on the other hand took over a bunch of, let's face it, mediocre to below average League One players and taught them from scratch how to play football. The ones who were likely to struggle in terms of attitude or ability were shown the door early doors and Tony Bloom fronted the cash to buy us some quality to replace them, signing many players Gus requested. This made the players Gus kept who, perhaps, were starting to look out of their depth (El-Abd is the biggest one who springs to mind) believe that they too were good enough to play the beautiful game. I think before Gus took over, if we had released El-Abd he'd have ended up with Eastbourne or dropping out of the game entirely. It's amazing what unconditional belief from an inspirational manager can do to a seemingly poor player almost overnight. El-Abd must've thought "Gus got rid of XYZ player, but kept me - this means he thinks I'm worth keeping and I'm going to prove he was right" - the result being El-Abd was arguably our best player for large swathes of last season.

Gus has done incredible things in such a short space of time it is unreal and, in my humble opinion, is the most talented manager the club has ever had. A visionary, passionate and iconic individual who should be cheered vociferously every single match win, lose, or draw.

It's very easy to simply attribute Gus' success to Tony Bloom's money; but money doesn't buy success. If present-day Manchester City had Micky Adams at the helm, they wouldn't be playing the football they are and giving Manchester United a run for their money. If the Albion had Steve Cotterill at the helm..

In my mind, he is the greatest manager the club has ever had because he is more than a manager, he is a figurehead and a Brighton legend.

Yes, good post... I think he is probably going to prove to be our no1 manager because he is in the process of building a team that may well end up not only in the PL but possibly having the flair to go on and challenge for serious prizes. He seems to be moving this whole project forward in double quick time and (relatively speaking) without spending vast sums of money on players. CMS aside (who is still a bargain IMHO) no massive transfer fees have been paid and yet we are able to watch the likes of Bridcutt, Calderon, Greer, Vincelot,and Noone who look as though they could do well in the PL.

I'm not sure how much Harley cost and it's early day but on teh evidence of 2 games he looks as though he could prove to be the final cog we need to run the midfield as Brian Horton did for Alan Mullery.

I know nothing of Vicente but if everything gels and we get promoted I think Gus will be regarded as one of the best managers in the country, let alone BHA!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
There's little doubt that Gus is well on the way to being our best manager - and a Brighton legend to boot - even if some feel he's not quite there yet.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Gus will ultimately achieve far more in his managerial career than any of our previous managers - who have tended to tail off elsewhere, or when they come back to us.

I just hope as much of that career as possible is spent with us!

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
1. Mullery
2. Lane
3. Poyet (and climbing ...)
4. Adams
5. Gritt
6. Brady
7. Taylor
8. Goodwin
9. Sayward
10. MacCauley

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Not sure how comparisons are made with managers or players under the 'Best of all time' title. Comparing Mullery with Poyet is as daft as comparing Maradona with Messi. They are people from two different era's of the game. The game at this level is a lot more faster and technical these days along with a lot of other factors of the game that have completely changed

One cannot compare managers in retrospect as who knows how anyone would have performed, however, I agree with A v S post almost entirely.

Gus Poyet however has taken on a, dare I say it, third rate (perhaps that is a bit hard) 'bunch' of players and turned them, without much addition, into a Championship quality 'TEAM' by the end of last season.

Given what has been achieved since pre season into this current season, and with the addition of players he has identified and signed ( and let's remember that the net cost of his signings is NOT massive), who knows just where he can take the club.

In my opinion, we are looking at arguably the best manager Brighton has ever seen or indeed one of the best managers ever to be seen !

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Poyet turned around a struggling team, beat the drop and then easily won the league the very next year. If he does well for us in the Championship he will be our greatest ever manager. He is very special, and I am glad we have him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
One cannot compare managers in retrospect as who knows how anyone would have performed, however, I agree with A v S post almost entirely.

Gus Poyet however has taken on a, dare I say it, third rate (perhaps that is a bit hard) 'bunch' of players and turned them, without much addition, into a Championship quality 'TEAM' by the end of last season.

Given what has been achieved since pre season into this current season, and with the addition of players he has identified and signed ( and let's remember that the net cost of his signings is NOT massive), who knows just where he can take the club.

In my opinion, we are looking at arguably the best manager Brighton has ever seen or indeed one of the best managers ever to be seen !

Not dissing Gus, but the net cost is pretty high compared to his predecessors.

CMS £2.5m
Buckley £1m
Hoskins £500k
Noone £300k
Greer £300k
Harley £300k
Barnes £60k
Holroyd £60k
Casper, Calde and Marcus £0k

Total £5.02 million

Out
Bennett £1.5m
Croft £350k ( a STEAL)
Dickinson £150k (a RIPOFF)

Total £2.0 m

Net outlay £3.02m

I'm loving watching the Albion at present, but anyone who went to Stoke last season will testify we are in no way a position to compete at a higher level.

If you look at results this season

Donny: Outplayed for first half, won due to a 97th minute goal.
Pompey: Would have been a draw had they not missed a pen
Cardiff: Excellent performance
Blackpool: Buckled under pressure in second half
Posh: Good result, but a flat performance, had less possession (not what you would expect from a Gus team), two great goals though.

Have to take my hat MAJORLY to Gus in that whilst many of us (me included) were in a panic about lack of cover at centre half, Gus KNEW just how good Dunk is, and we have looked better with him than we did with AEA last season (IMO).

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
He has done incredible things. Micky Adams Pt. 1 took over a bunch of, let's face it, no hopers and with bunch of quality signings in his first season (Cullip, Watson, Zamora) made us into a great team at League Two level. By keeping the same bunch together the next season he took us to the top of League One, then left for a better job when he was, in hindsight, better off staying put. Undoubtedly in my mind, the Albion 'coming home' to Withdean and the whole Skint/fashionable club image we had at the time helped massively with the enthusiasm and 'spirit' - which is, for those of us who were at those games, how we won most our matches. Micky Adams was the right manager at the right time for us - ala Winston Churchill during the war - but you wouldn't want to necessarily invest too much in modelling a club around his image, if you get my meaning..

Gus Poyet on the other hand took over a bunch of, let's face it, mediocre to below average League One players and taught them from scratch how to play football. The ones who were likely to struggle in terms of attitude or ability were shown the door early doors and Tony Bloom fronted the cash to buy us some quality to replace them, signing many players Gus requested. This made the players Gus kept who, perhaps, were starting to look out of their depth (El-Abd is the biggest one who springs to mind) believe that they too were good enough to play the beautiful game. I think before Gus took over, if we had released El-Abd he'd have ended up with Eastbourne or dropping out of the game entirely. It's amazing what unconditional belief from an inspirational manager can do to a seemingly poor player almost overnight. El-Abd must've thought "Gus got rid of XYZ player, but kept me - this means he thinks I'm worth keeping and I'm going to prove he was right" - the result being El-Abd was arguably our best player for large swathes of last season.

Gus has done incredible things in such a short space of time it is unreal and, in my humble opinion, is the most talented manager the club has ever had. A visionary, passionate and iconic individual who should be cheered vociferously every single match win, lose, or draw.

It's very easy to simply attribute Gus' success to Tony Bloom's money; but money doesn't buy success. If present-day Manchester City had Micky Adams at the helm, they wouldn't be playing the football they are and giving Manchester United a run for their money. If the Albion had Steve Cotterill at the helm..

In my mind, he is the greatest manager the club has ever had because he is more than a manager, he is a figurehead and a Brighton legend.

I am sorry I had not previously seen this post but it says everything and more which I did post so I agree - well done.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

CMS £2.5m
Buckley £1m
Hoskins £500k
Noone £300k
Greer £300k
Harley £300k
Barnes £60k
Holroyd £60k

Total £5.02 million

Out
Bennett £1.5m
Croft £350k ( a STEAL)

Total £2.0 m

Net outlay £3.02m

I'm loving watching the Albion at present, but anyone who went to Stoke last season will testify we are in no way a position to compete at a higher level.

Posh: Good result, but a flat performance, had less possession (not what you would expect from a Gus team), two great goals though.

Have to take my hat MAJORLY to Gus in that whilst many of us (me included) were in a panic about lack of cover at centre half, Gus KNEW just how good Dunk is, and we have looked better with him than we did with AEA last season (IMO).

The sums you have quoted are not high in todays market,Nooney for 300,000 was buy of the decade not counting Vicente who we got for free , though we do not know what his wages are.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

CMS £2.5m
Buckley £1m
Hoskins £500k
Noone £300k
Greer £300k
Harley £300k
Barnes £60k
Holroyd £60k

Total £5.02 million

Out
Bennett £1.5m
Croft £350k ( a STEAL)

Total £2.0 m

Net outlay £3.02m

EP

I completely agree with what you are saying but that is why one cannot compare managers.

As I said, GP turned around a pretty average bunch into 'Championship material' so who knows what can be achieved with the squad he has built subsequently which (by comparison with some of our Championship contenders) is, in my mind, not hugely spectacular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here