Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gustavo Poyet our best manager of all time.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Wouldn't good management be to sit them down and ensure that they tow the party line and not just cold shoulder them and totally freeze them out. At the time they where both an important part of the squad and good players in a poor side.

I think its fair to say we wernt a poor side,if you look at the results shortly after Gus took over and to date. Last few months of Gus's first season we showed play off form.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know we have had some good' uns but surely for what he has done in such a short space of time puts him there for me. He has us playing the best football we have ever played and has helped us attract serious names.

My top 5 managers,in order,from my years watching..are as follows

1)Gus Poyet
2)Steve Coppell
3)Mickey Adams
4)Mark Mc Ghee
5)Steve Gritt

Some very good managers over the years for us,some not so good,but Gus really should manage(dreams) England one day,still the only slight concern at this stage i have about Gus,is,the further up the leagues we go,the less top stars will respect his achievements(but who knows i will probably be wrong)...he will be/IS a top class manager-possibly prone to the odd Latino flare up-i hope he stays for 10 years......:angel:

& LIAM BRADY

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Poyet is head and shoulders above Micky Adams the first. There is no arguing that one.

He emulated the success from a takeover and transformation in a division higher. He did it with style and panache versus give it to Bobby and let him do the business.

Definitely the best manager since i began following in 1990.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
go on . . .

The team Peter Taylor was building that Alan Mullery took over was very much in a similar vein to what is happening now. We could also mention Mike Bailey that kept us as a first division outfit quite comfortably but was sacked for being boring (I think), and led us to still our best ever position in the football league. I have no doubt Gus could emulate them both, but talking about the best ever now is, in my humble opinion, jumping the gun.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He's up there with Peter Taylor (the 1st) and Liam Brady.

Damn-Great call,such a shame he was cut short-that game against Barnet on Boxing day 94? the North Stand was bulging 15 mins after kick off & people were still coming in,looked far more packed than Doncaster 1997 & this viewed from the SW terrace-

loved Brady & IF it was not for him,well we know the rest-

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The team Peter Taylor was building that Alan Mullery took over was very much in a similar vein to what is happening now. We could also mention Mike Bailey that kept us as a first division outfit quite comfortably but was sacked for being boring (I think), and led us to still our best ever position in the football league. I have no doubt Gus could emulate them both, but talking about the best ever now is, in my humble opinion, jumping the gun.

Spot on.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Damn-Great call,such a shame he was cut short-that game against Barnet on Boxing day 94? the North Stand was bulging 15 mins after kick off & people were still coming in,looked far more packed than Doncaster 1997 & this viewed from the SW terrace-

loved Brady & IF it was not for him,well we know the rest-

Indeed mate, always amazes me how many Brighton fans overlook Brady.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest, it'll be really sad when he goes, but we won't automatically become crap again. We'll attract a better calibre of manager now, and hopefully whoever it turns out to be can carry on his great work

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Indeed mate, always amazes me how many Brighton fans overlook Brady.

Never felt(until Gus came) even allowing for others,so happy when we got Brady,genuinely believed that we may just turn things round,and he could,but others had a very different agenda..

Mark Flatts,Jimmy Case & Paul Dickov..........

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be honest, it'll be really sad when he goes, but we won't automatically become crap again. We'll attract a better calibre of manager now, and hopefully whoever it turns out to be can carry on his great work

Yes,and the reason is TONY BLOOM-i agree......

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
If we end up in the PL with him in the next couple of seasons I would say he will probably have surpassed Alan Mullery - who's first four seasons closely resemble Gus's in terms of performance, results and flair. however, Mullery did inherit many of his best players, notably Wardie despite signing some great ones as well (Lawrenson)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He has done incredible things. Micky Adams Pt. 1 took over a bunch of, let's face it, no hopers and with bunch of quality signings in his first season (Cullip, Watson, Zamora) made us into a great team at League Two level. By keeping the same bunch together the next season he took us to the top of League One, then left for a better job when he was, in hindsight, better off staying put. Undoubtedly in my mind, the Albion 'coming home' to Withdean and the whole Skint/fashionable club image we had at the time helped massively with the enthusiasm and 'spirit' - which is, for those of us who were at those games, how we won most our matches. Micky Adams was the right manager at the right time for us - ala Winston Churchill during the war - but you wouldn't want to necessarily invest too much in modelling a club around his image, if you get my meaning..

Gus Poyet on the other hand took over a bunch of, let's face it, mediocre to below average League One players and taught them from scratch how to play football. The ones who were likely to struggle in terms of attitude or ability were shown the door early doors and Tony Bloom fronted the cash to buy us some quality to replace them, signing many players Gus requested. This made the players Gus kept who, perhaps, were starting to look out of their depth (El-Abd is the biggest one who springs to mind) believe that they too were good enough to play the beautiful game. I think before Gus took over, if we had released El-Abd he'd have ended up with Eastbourne or dropping out of the game entirely. It's amazing what unconditional belief from an inspirational manager can do to a seemingly poor player almost overnight. El-Abd must've thought "Gus got rid of XYZ player, but kept me - this means he thinks I'm worth keeping and I'm going to prove he was right" - the result being El-Abd was arguably our best player for large swathes of last season.

Gus has done incredible things in such a short space of time it is unreal and, in my humble opinion, is the most talented manager the club has ever had. A visionary, passionate and iconic individual who should be cheered vociferously every single match win, lose, or draw.

It's very easy to simply attribute Gus' success to Tony Bloom's money; but money doesn't buy success. If present-day Manchester City had Micky Adams at the helm, they wouldn't be playing the football they are and giving Manchester United a run for their money. If the Albion had Steve Cotterill at the helm..

In my mind, he is the greatest manager the club has ever had because he is more than a manager, he is a figurehead and a Brighton legend.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
:thumbsup:
He has done incredible things. Micky Adams Pt. 1 took over a bunch of, let's face it, no hopers and with bunch of quality signings in his first season (Cullip, Watson, Zamora) made us into a great team at League Two level. By keeping the same bunch together the next season he took us to the top of League One, then left for a better job when he was, in hindsight, better off staying put. Undoubtedly in my mind, the Albion 'coming home' to Withdean and the whole Skint/fashionable club image we had at the time helped massively with the enthusiasm and 'spirit' - which is, for those of us who were at those games, how we won most our matches. Micky Adams was the right manager at the right time for us - ala Winston Churchill during the war - but you wouldn't want to necessarily invest too much in modelling a club around his image, if you get my meaning..

Gus Poyet on the other hand took over a bunch of, let's face it, mediocre to below average League One players and taught them from scratch how to play football. The ones who were likely to struggle in terms of attitude or ability were shown the door early doors and Tony Bloom fronted the cash to buy us some quality to replace them, signing many players Gus requested. This made the players Gus kept who, perhaps, were starting to look out of their depth (El-Abd is the biggest one who springs to mind) believe that they too were good enough to play the beautiful game. I think before Gus took over, if we had released El-Abd he'd have ended up with Eastbourne or dropping out of the game entirely. It's amazing what unconditional belief from an inspirational manager can do to a seemingly poor player almost overnight. El-Abd must've thought "Gus got rid of XYZ player, but kept me - this means he thinks I'm worth keeping and I'm going to prove he was right" - the result being El-Abd was arguably our best player for large swathes of last season.

Gus has done incredible things in such a short space of time it is unreal and, in my humble opinion, is the most talented manager the club has ever had. A visionary, passionate and iconic individual who should be cheered vociferously every single match win, lose, or draw.

It's very easy to simply attribute Gus' success to Tony Bloom's money; but money doesn't buy success. If present-day Manchester City had Micky Adams at the helm, they wouldn't be playing the football they are and giving Manchester United a run for their money. If the Albion had Steve Cotterill at the helm..

In my mind, he is the greatest manager the club has ever had because he is more than a manager, he is a figurehead and a Brighton legend.

Superb posting-much in my style & in total agreement-in addition to the aforementioned,lets just say Gus is worth every penny of the entrance fee,just to watch him at work..

Ps-who am i to say jc,but what about an avatar? for quick recognition?

D

Deleted member 2719

Let's not get too carried away with Gus yet he is doing well and changing the football from the bottom through to the top.
Which is how it should be, Wilkins tried to do the same but was not backed by his chairman.

Saying that he is doing a great job so far i want to see him earning his dough when things start to falter, then i will judge how good he is.

He has had a lot of dosh.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

That's fair enough, Gus on a purely team angle prob has bit mire to do. I was also considering the bigger picture with developement squads and changing the philosophy down to the kids . Did Taylor do this ?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
:thumbsup:

Superb posting-much in my style & in total agreement-in addition to the aforementioned,lets just say Gus is worth every penny of the entrance fee,just to watch him at work..

Ps-who am i to say jc,but what about an avatar? for quick recognition?

Done :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He's certainly done well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Alan Mullery (of whom I am not a fan) took us from Division 3 to Division 1 in three seasons, and kept us there for two years.

For me the greatest is Steve Gritt, he took a team that was 13 points adrift at the bottom of division 4, wracked by uncertainty about the club's future, and became the buffer between the players and the board, allowing us to escape by the skin of our teeth.

Gus, if he stays, could certainly become great, I would certainly say he is the most charismatic, even more so than Clough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here