Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is CMS just huff and puff?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
he was not supposed to be lionel messi. He is outstanding player for 2.5m. Worth every penny.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
People too quickly forget his cracking goals against Blackpool, Sunderland and Derby. He's only really been given service for the past 2 games, and is simply slightly out of form and probably a little shocked he's actually beginning to get chances. Hopefully Gus has seen that a more direct approach to CMS is more fruitful. One of our best players by a mile.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
He's quality, just needs support and service. Some of his off the ball runs are outstanding, unfortunately were not getting it forward quickly enough for him. Now we've started playing two wide men from the start this is beginning to change. He is class.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Yesterday I finally got round to watching the DVD from the second half of last season and what struck me was how many of our goals came from balls into the area where we know CMS likes it played - from wide into the area between penalty spot and 6 yard line or into a channel with a last man to run at. Most of that service was provided by either Wood or Bennett. If we can get back to actually creating proper chances rather than expecting the one guy up front chasing everything down on his own then his form will return pretty quickly.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I think he could play in the premiership, he is still finding his feet at Brighton, his finishing is unacceptable at times but hes in those positions, he reads the game better than any player i have seen in the championship and he works his socks, by the end of the season he will have scored more than 15 goals, i know he has only scored 6 goals so far but he will be one of the top scores in the division...like i said this is just my opinion

Oh dear, try removing those blue and white tinted sunglasses.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
People too quickly forget his cracking goals against Blackpool, Sunderland and Derby. He's only really been given service for the past 2 games, and is simply slightly out of form and probably a little shocked he's actually beginning to get chances. Hopefully Gus has seen that a more direct approach to CMS is more fruitful. One of our best players by a mile.
Leeds game was betterpunk:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Amazing work-rate...don't think I've ever seen it bettered in a Brighton shirt.
Have studied CMS and don't believe that he is a natural finisher in the style of a Kevin Phillips. In clear goalscoring opportunities, he loses his composure a little and hurries his efforts.
He is better when the chance is purely instinctive, usually from an angle, side-on or back to goal. He is not great at heading and will score very few for us via this method.
Murray is a natural finisher. He doesn't rush or panic in the box and is adept at scoring low across the keeper.
Would I preferred to have kept Murray and used the CMS money in other directions. At this moment....Yes.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Amazing work-rate...don't think I've ever seen it bettered in a Brighton shirt.
Have studied CMS and don't believe that he is a natural finisher in the style of a Kevin Phillips. In clear goalscoring opportunities, he loses his composure a little and hurries his efforts.
He is better when the chance is purely instinctive, usually from an angle, side-on or back to goal. He is not great at heading and will score very few for us via this method.
Murray is a natural finisher. He doesn't rush or panic in the box and is adept at scoring low across the keeper.
Would I preferred to have kept Murray and used the CMS money in other directions. At this moment....Yes.
He's not a naturall goal scorer yeah,but looking at his stats he's scored shed loads of goals so he can't be that bad:)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
CMS could be superb who knows. He is a good championship player and a a very good div one player. At the moment he looks a long way off premiership class. What is for sure is he is by far our best striker which is a worry especially as we have only scored 11 goals in the last 17 league matches. I reckon we will finish around 16/17th.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
You asked an incredibly stupid question, as such it only deserves moronic responses.

HTH

It appears that the question has had some differing responses, so it begs the question as to whether it was "such a stupid question". Most sensible intelligent supporters would see it as a debatable point, other less intelligent supporters, like yourself, would see it a different way.

Perhaps you could explain to the forum why you think the question is so "stupid"?

One line attack responses generally suggest the poster isnt capable of creating a structured argument as to why he thinks the question is so "stupid". Perhaps all the other fans who posted sensible debatable points are stupid too for not pointing this out!

Or maybe they understood the point of debate and joined in like normal human beings do on forums.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
It appears that the question has had some differing responses, so it begs the question as to whether it was "such a stupid question". Most sensible intelligent supporters would see it as a debatable point, other less intelligent supporters, like yourself, would see it a different way.

Such a predictable response, maybe it's my higher intelligence level that enables me to see how stupid the question was.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
another stupid thread CMS is a great striker its not up front we have a problem its the service they are not getting from midfield

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
bhawoody,

To be honest mate - you didn't do yourself any favours by using a term 'huff and puff'
to describe the great man. Be a bit more diplomatic and you might get a less vitriolic
set of responses. Simple as that.

For example 'how would you rate CMS' performance so far'?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I see the NSC clowns have arrived without the intellect to post a normal response!! Yes that includes you moggy!!!

I havent offered my personal view here, i have simply just asked a question.

Well it's a stupid f***ing question! Yes he must be all huff and puff cos he only scored 35 goals last season!!! :facepalm:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Does CMS justify his 2.5M price tag or is he just a huff and puff merchant without any real quality?

The reality is that he is quality and currently he is not getting the effective service which means he is having to do a lot of work hence your unflattering assessment. The January forward signing is going to be crucial because even with his amazing engine and great attitude even he may get demoralised. I also think he needs to be kept sharp as was demonstrated by the two good chances at Reading which normally he would have taken. One of our best signings ever could be ruined if Gus doesn't bring in the right player (s) to fully utilise his skills and commitment.

Not wishing to stray too far from Gus's passing vision but recent games have shown there is scope for the occasional measured long ball over the top. His sheer physicality and pace over a short distance might panic a few defenders. In the Burnley game there was a ball from Greer which nearly proved that point.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here