Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is CMS just huff and puff?

He works his arse off, but his finishing is unacceptable.

I agree with this - he has missed a number of clear cut chances this season including two yesterday. No doubt about his tremendous work rate but this forum should offer the opportunity of a considered and sensible debate about any player. Some of the diatribe written by some idiots on here just abusing other posters makes me cringe.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I would advise you to watch the two goals he scored against Leeds again, and then come back and say that he doesn't have any quality. Also, have a look at the movement for the winner against Sunderland. The boy is class, and more goals will come.

He is also our leading assists provider this season, is he not? Further reason to suggest he is FAR more than a 'huff and puff merchant'.

No need for me to watch it again Brian - I rememebr it well! As i have also pointed out, this thread title doesnt mean its my personal view of CMS. He would be the first name down on the teamsheet week in week out for me, but i would also play a second striker. A lone striker screams negativity to me and when opposing teams see this, especially at home, they must be thinking the same surely.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Does CMS justify his 2.5M price tag or is he just a huff and puff merchant without any real quality?

You must be joking..... , in my opinion CMS is the best player in the championship.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I think it's a fair point. CMS is a brilliant player but too many good chances are going begging at the moment.
However, you daren't mention it, as a lot on here are like starry eyed schoolgirls and will scratch your eyes out if you dare criticise.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
expand please ?

I think he could play in the premiership, he is still finding his feet at Brighton, his finishing is unacceptable at times but hes in those positions, he reads the game better than any player i have seen in the championship and he works his socks, by the end of the season he will have scored more than 15 goals, i know he has only scored 6 goals so far but he will be one of the top scores in the division...like i said this is just my opinion

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If we`d paid half a million for him then he would have been a revelation this season but 2.5 mill means the bar was set a little higher. Not his fault having that price tag but even allowing for his phenomenal work rate and team play he needs to sharpen up in front of goal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't think I've seen him create quite as many chances this season with his chasing down as he did yesterday. The sitter from a few yards out seemed to go in slow motion - it's almost as if he had too much time and missed because he tried side footing it home rather than just burying it. The header ? - not the easiest of chances for someone his height by any means, but yes, you'd hope for something better.

Although work rate is obviously a very strong part of his game, I don't think he is just huff and puff by any means - he's movement is good, so is his touch and given the right service and support, the finishing is obviously in him as his previous goal scoring record shows. I think tucking away chances often comes from instinctive repetition, hence why goals for strikers often come in gluts. Perhaps his finishing is simply rusty at the moment ? It'll come for CMS if we get the right player/s in around him, I'm sure.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No he is not just a huff and puff merchant but with so few chances being created any misses are more critical to us as a team. This contrasts to his time at pboro where they create so many opportunities you can afford a few misses

The answer I to create more chances and these threads will disappear

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I think it's a fair point. CMS is a brilliant player but too many good chances are going begging at the moment.
However, you daren't mention it, as a lot on here are like starry eyed schoolgirls and will scratch your eyes out if you dare criticise.

I can't see why the op has attracted so much flak .

I raised this question in the pub a few weeks ago, and it was quite surprising how many fans ( of at least 35 years ) were 'secretly' thinking the same.

Perfectly valid topic for debate.

Direct Dave

Oct 26, 2011
Can I ask what some you expect for 2.5 million?
Just a little fact, CMS has a league goals per game percentage of 0.39 goals per game, compare him to someone like Andy Carroll who cost 35 million and has a league goals per game percentage of 0.31 per game.
As some of you say, he does lack a little finishing quality sometimes, but that's why he was only 2.5 million

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
'

It may have helped to have clarified that at the start.

I think CMS has been so starved of service this season, he's been genuinely shocked when a chance arises and has snatched at it. Last season, he was clinical.
Exactly - the original question was taken by several of us as a deliberate wind up. And absolutely - frankly think it's more a question of being exhausted by the time he actually has the opportunity to snatch at a chance, that he's in all probabilty made for himself. In my experience of playing (at a lower level, of course), the last thing a striker needs is to be using the very last of that moment's energy in trying to execute a clinical finish - it almost always results in snatching or a weak (or mis-directed) shot. I guess we all think he needs a partner but as he's barely had one, rather than throw his toys out of the pram or let his head go down, he's worked his arse off, constantly hassled and exhausted defenders and keepers and in a team thats struggled for most of the last three months, created chances for himself and his team mates. Without that 'huff and puff' I'm pretty sure we'd be in the relegation places :shrug: :albion2:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No he is not just a huff and puff merchant but with so few chances being created any misses are more critical to us as a team. This contrasts to his time at pboro where they create so many opportunities you can afford a few misses

The answer I to create more chances and these threads will disappear

Absolutely spot on. Sadly given the rarity of good opportunities in front of goal every CMS miss seems as costly as an Ankergren drop.

Also it seems to me that the glaring misses seem to come towards the end of games after he has spent 70 or 80 minutes running around trying to do the work of two people as noone in the midfield will ever play him in!

He needs better service so he doesn't have to spend all day running all over the pitch. Given the desolate look on his face at the end of the game yesterday I don't think he needs telling that he has to sharpen up his finishing (and he should have buried at least one of those chances yesterday). He is a quality player sadly let down by those around him imo.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Absolutely spot on. Sadly given the rarity of good opportunities in front of goal every CMS miss seems as costly as an Ankergren drop.

Also it seems to me that the glaring misses seem to come towards the end of games after he has spent 70 or 80 minutes running around trying to do the work of two people as noone in the midfield will ever play him in!

He needs better service so he doesn't have to spend all day running all over the pitch. Given the desolate look on his face at the end of the game yesterday I don't think he needs telling that he has to sharpen up his finishing (and he should have buried at least one of those chances yesterday). He is a quality player sadly let down by those around him imo.
Absolutely sums it up. He's not the problem - of course he's not perfect but he brings a massive amount to this team every game without fail :clap: :albion2:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm not sure how a club that creates perhaps one or two chances a game can have a striker who is criticised by the "fans" for missing too many chances.
I think he's complete value for money, if not a bargain. I saw him tearing around for Scotland against the mighty Spain and he was brilliant for them also.

PS - i am a starry-eyed girl and glad to be rather that than a moaning old sprout.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Exactly - the original question was taken by several of us as a deliberate wind up. And absolutely - frankly think it's more a question of being exhausted by the time he actually has the opportunity to snatch at a chance, that he's in all probabilty made for himself. In my experience of playing (at a lower level, of course), the last thing a striker needs is to be using the very last of that moment's energy in trying to execute a clinical finish - it almost always results in snatching or a weak (or mis-directed) shot. I guess we all think he needs a partner but as he's barely had one, rather than throw his toys out of the pram or let his head go down, he's worked his arse off, constantly hassled and exhausted defenders and keepers and in a team thats struggled for most of the last three months, created chances for himself and his team mates. Without that 'huff and puff' I'm pretty sure we'd be in the relegation places :shrug: :albion2:

Apologies for not being a little clearer from the begining.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm not sure how a club that creates perhaps one or two chances a game can have a striker who is criticised by the "fans" for missing too many chances.
I think he's complete value for money, if not a bargain. I saw him tearing around for Scotland against the mighty Spain and he was brilliant for them also.

PS - i am a starry-eyed girl and glad to be rather that than a moaning old sprout.
yep, quite enough sprouts around as it is :albion2:

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
^ This!

If he did finish every chance he'd be playing for a Prem team. I think the whole team is lacking a bit of confidence at the moment. We desperately need a comfortable 2-0+ win

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Does CMS justify his 2.5M price tag or is he just a huff and puff merchant without any real quality?

CMS is top class league 1 player, average Championship player. He is not a natural goal scorer, never will be. Is he worth 2.5million? No

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here