Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone else WORRIED by us splashing cash?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Tony Bloom spends 100 mil on a stadium, but some Albion fans worry about spending on players to put in it.

:facepalm:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
FFS, you need to relax... ALL the evidence so far is EXTREMELY positive in terms of us all putting our trust in Tony and Gus... you sound like someone who would NEVER be satisfied with ANY chairman, board member or manager... and, yes, I lived through the Archer years too... have faith...

I am relaxed. I'm very relaxed. I'm not losing sleep over this. As I said in my first post, it isn't something I'm worried about, but it's something I'm aware of. I'm aware of traffic when crossing the road, it doesn't mean I panic everytime I cross it.

I am very satisfied with our current chairman/board (as far as I can be of someone I don't know personally who has so far shown good decision making and given me no reason to panic).

Just because someone is aware of the tendency of some groups to appear as if they are heroes of a football club turning out to be their ruination, and the increasing frequency of clubs spending more than they can afford on players that don' provide the expected return in an effort to reach the top division and keeping that in mind, doesn't mean they aren't happy with the board, the transfers or the situation at our club at the moment. I know it can be hard to read emotions on message boards, but I really am not upset with the board, scared, panicking, or rocking back and forth in a dark room saying "please don't make me accept us as a big club, I'll be a good boy, I promise" out of fear of our success.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Apparently, Palace fans are very worried for us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am relaxed. I'm very relaxed. I'm not losing sleep over this. As I said in my first post, it isn't something I'm worried about, but it's something I'm aware of. I'm aware of traffic when crossing the road, it doesn't mean I panic everytime I cross it.

I am very satisfied with our current chairman/board (as far as I can be of someone I don't know personally who has so far shown good decision making and given me no reason to panic).

Just because someone is aware of the tendency of some groups to appear as if they are heroes of a football club turning out to be their ruination, and the increasing frequency of clubs spending more than they can afford on players that don' provide the expected return in an effort to reach the top division and keeping that in mind, doesn't mean they aren't happy with the board, the transfers or the situation at our club at the moment. I know it can be hard to read emotions on message boards, but I really am not upset with the board, scared, panicking, or rocking back and forth in a dark room saying "please don't make me accept us as a big club, I'll be a good boy, I promise" out of fear of our success.

Good... you came across as critical of the club's upper echelons IMHO, but I'm glad you're not worried... you shouldn't be... if you can't appreciate what's going on at our club right now, and enjoy it, then you never will... caution is one thing, but, honestly...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and read my (aged) signature... I think Tony is now addressing my earliest concern when he was appointed / shared his plans... we finally have a fantastic stadium largely thanks to him, and now he is helping to build a team and squad worthy of playing in it...

Worried - No
Excited - Yes

As to the person who talked so blasé-ley about giving up ownership of Amex, I don't believe not owning your ground is not a good position to be in.

I wasn't being blasé.
Tried to dispassionately address a question about what could Tony Bloom do if he wanted/needed to get some of his money back. The stadium company and club are two separate legal entities btw, albeit the first is wholly owned by the second.
I agree with you about ownership of the stadium but having a majority shareholder might, on paper, weaken this position as we saw with Archer. This was addressed when DK took over in 1997 but since TB moved in, the position has reverted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't being blasé.
Tried to dispassionately address a question about what could Tony Bloom do if he wanted/needed to get some of his money back. The stadium company and club are two separate legal entities btw, albeit the first is wholly owned by the second.
I agree with you about ownership of the stadium but having a majority shareholder might, on paper, weaken this position as we saw with Archer. This was addressed when DK took over in 1997 but since TB moved in, the position has reverted.

Position reverted because of the sheer scale of TB's investment... what would you expect in his position? I know I would ask for exactly the same as TB has!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ahh..but do you want to end up being Norwich's nursery club? Knowing the Norfolk tendency to keep things in the family, you might up being incest..sorry incensed by them tapping every good young player Albion produce in future.

I think that while Norwich remain a division above us and retain a scout with an exceptional eye for a young player with great potential, then we'll always be vulnerable to them cherry-picking our brightest stars. Fully expecting them to do the same again next transfer window. But they won't remain in that position forever. We'll catch them up and turn the tables. Nothing's surer.

Position reverted because of the sheer scale of TB's investment... what would you expect in his position? I know I would ask for exactly the same as TB has!

Quite possibly the same but the point was that TB probably has absolute control and could get some/all of his money out by selling the stadium if he wanted. I'm not implying that he would do so or ever want to but the club's ownership position now is not too dissimilar from when Bill Archer was Chairman.
Another point to ponder on is the position whenever his stadium loans are due for repayment (2023/5?). If it isn't all paid back in cash by then (seems very unlikely) then what equity could he "swap" for such a sum? 90M new shares in a company where he's already a 75%+ majority shareholder with less than 30M - seems odd to me unless there's some tax advantage.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spending has to increase just to remain in the Championship , we failed previously because there were no revenue streams to tap into , the playing budget was minimal and the club was just about keeping its head above water.

sent from my piano using only the black keys

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We also get about £4million just for for getting promoted. League 1 prize money, TV Revenue, Parachute payments etc

We have that to spend in theory too

How have we got a parachute payment? Surely, we're going in the wrong direction for them.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
No, because if TB spends even one penny, it is justified.
His business acumen is unrivalled, otherwise we wouldn't have the AmEx.
Simple.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
with a full house all next season and a good chairman

NO

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
How have we got a parachute payment? Surely, we're going in the wrong direction for them.

I think a portion of the prem parachute payments is divided amongst all the Championship clubs. This was brought in to address the financial imbalance caused by massive sums being given to the relegated clubs.

Last edited:

sammy g

Amazed and excited as I have been by all of this, I have had the occasional moment of doubt and concern; like many people I remember OGH being bought for a £1000 and a set of stripes and many pre-seasons when all our summer purchases came in on a free. Of course that was when we we had little revenue and DK never had the ability to spend his way up the leagues.

When you look at the likes of Pompey, Bradford etc who seemed to have meteoric rise and then fall back just as quickly but almost costing the existence of the club in the process, I think it is only natural that people are a little apprehensive about our fairly quick turn around from Championship paupers to potential heavyweights. I am reassured by TB and their are many people on here who are far more knowledgeable on the finances who seem confident we are in safe hands for now and just as importantly in the future. It also feels great going toe to toe with the likes of Palace, Reading knowing we can compete with them once again on a level playing field.

Sent by morse code on the Titanic.......

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
As long as we stick to an affordable wage structure we will be alright,clubs like Pompey spent silly money trying to keep up.

Sent mad by all the transfer rumours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here