Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone else WORRIED by us splashing cash?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Not worried. I've been here before with the club, and look how well that turned out. :down:
The last paragraph of the Blog rang a bell too. :facepalm:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It's just that we've had donkey's years of counting the pennies and it hasn't quite sunk in for most of us yet that we've actually got some serious dosh to spend.

It's so exciting! We'll get used to it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There are just too many of these threads... FFS... have some faith in Tony and the board to get the spending right... for the UMPTEENTH time... please get it into your head that we are no longer a tin-pot club... we are a Championship club, with Championship-level income and outgoings... that includes transfer fees of £1M or more...

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I am not at all worried. Tony knows what he is doing, as does Gus. I really believe that we are in safe hands. Assuming that the Bennett transfer has gone through, if you look at our outgoings compared to our incomings, ie increased ST money, merchandise, etc etc. We haven't spent very much at all yet. So I really don't feel at all bothered. Its just really really strange seeing us spend millions, bloody exciting though.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I am not worried one bit. Eeeeees complicated but at least it is not DICK TIGHT's money so there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from Gus Poyet's Blackberry Curve

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think its great. If we were splashing the cash on giving washed-up old sick-notes a final pay-day I'd be worried, but we're not, we're investing it in young players of great potential. It's building for the future. Or at least until next time Norwich come calling. Which in turn will give us a still larger war-chest to reinvest in even better players. And so it ramps up in a controlled fashion. That's the way to do it!

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
i think back to the last two times that we won promotion to the championship and the transformation of the club is almost beyond belief

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Obviously it is FUN and wouldn't want to go back to spending next to nothing on crap players.

But is anyone else a little bit half-stunned, half-a bit worried about suddenly having millions of pounds being splashing about?

It just seems to alien.

Anyone bored, I wrote a little blog on this:

http://sweatshoptachinardi.blogspot.com/2011/06/seagulls-splashing-cash.html

What's £1.5m on players compared to £90m on a stadium? Funny how there's more concern about the transfer budget than there was the stadium. When I raised my concerns about the stadium funding I was cut down by a huge consensus that it wasn't a problem. The gamble seems to be paying off at the moment anyway - our revenue has gone through the roof. So who cares? Well I think we all should really, I think if our history tells us one thing its that we should question everything. At some time in the future unpopular questions should be asked about our future: What if TB loses interest? (He won't is not an acceptable answer) What if he needs the loan money back immediately? Are we budgeting for a sustainable future? Are we gambling on promotion? etc

Still, we should by deafult all be happy and trust the board. We know their intentions are good.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
I was trying to work out why some people are worried about this the other night when talking about it with some younger fans , well in their early thirties anyway. For the last 15 or so years we have been the poor relation and when things have not always gone well for us on the pitch we have always used the fallback or excuse that we are 'SKINT' and dont have the budget to compete. It almost became a self fulfilling prophecy.True or not even last season the number of times I heard that SCC and Hudders are all splashing the cash so we cant be expected to do as well etc etc .Look what happened then..

What I think it boils down to is that if things go tits up next season and we have spent loads , even relatively speaking , then we will have no excuse ....... and that worries some people...

EDIT : forgot to say that its not my concern.....I'm loving it!!!:clap::clap:

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It stands to reason that we have a WAR CHEST. Afterall, 18,000 season ticket holders will expect a decent team...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Speculate to accumulate. If we did a Norwich we'd have a 40 million pound bonus this time next year and I, for one, don't discount that we MIGHT be capable of walking though this division, once we've assembled our new team.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hoskins £500000 + Buckley £1000000 - Bennett £1500000 = £0 spent.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Yes it is a strange feeling to actually be spending "big" money on players but I am not worried. I think we should remember the type of players we are targeting young, developing players who appear to be grounded individuals (yes I know this is a big assumption), where other teams who have fallen foul tend to go for established mercenary type players. Therefore the players we have signed should only increase in value and worth giving us an escape option that does not bankrupt us should the need arise.

Personally I'm loving it :banana:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Not worried at all but it is weird to finally be competing on a level playing field with other championship clubs on and off the field...its exciting times!!!! Bloom is a fantastic business man and there is no way he will overspend and allow us to get in any financial trouble again i am convinced of that!!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm sure TB didn't get to where he is in the financial world through being stupid or not forward thinking. The lad is a Brighton fan, his family are Brighton fans, he has a lot of money, we have a new stadium, promotion, tv deals, sponsors and probably a low wage expenditure at the minute, why on earth should anyone be worried?

If TB didn't have the money, do you think he would risk our future? His future? Were fine, we'll be fine.

All seems like a bit of a dream though, Henri Lansbury? Will Buckley? Will Hoskins? Jack Cork? Hell, even being favourites with Skybet (LOLbet more like, but still) to sign Owen, Jesus Christ, I'm not worried at all, just a bit numb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here