Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Yes, embarrassing, and we wonder why we get zero points in The Eurovision Song Contest ??? , we are hated around the world for our arrogance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speak for yourself mate. I am adored Worldwide.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This.

I really don't see why so many people are clutching their pearls over all this. The opposition fans aren't bothered, the players aren't bothered, its all about creating a hostile atmosphere using home advantage, and it IS just a bit of theatre. I dunno if anyone else noticed, but as the camera went along the line of German players during the anthem while the boo's were ringing out, Thomas Muller stared straight down the camera lens, smiled and gave a cheeky wink (THAT went well, eh Tom ?). He gets it. Its sport. Its fun. Its pantomime.

I've heard GSTQ boo'd countless times on Englands travels to various countries when the anthems are played. Does it send me into a tearful howling mess before the game ? Am I mortally offended at opposition fans boo-ing and whistling their way through our national anthem ? Am I DISGUSTED by it ?

Answers on a postcard. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a postcard, so a reply will have to suffice. Why can't you accept people aren't those things you say, I just think it's poor form and disrespectful - we don't all have to be frothing at the mouth and apoplectic about it without thinking it's just, well a little sad.

I get booing individual players for some perceived slight or because they play for the wrong team, I get booing the ref because he's the w@nker in the black/pink/yellow, I even get booing your own team if they've been shite, I just don't get booing an anthem, sorry!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If only fans of all those other sports would just boo the opposition and the respective national anthems, then the competing sportsmen and women in those sports would perform so much better.

Good grief. See that thing in front of your face? It's your nose.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, embarrassing, and we wonder why we get zero points in The Eurovision Song Contest ??? , we are hated around the world for our arrogance.

We also get zero points because our songs are shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't have a postcard, so a reply will have to suffice. Why can't you accept people aren't those things you say, I just think it's poor form and disrespectful - we don't all have to be frothing at the mouth and apoplectic about it without thinking it's just, well a little sad.

I get booing individual players for some perceived slight or because they play for the wrong team, I get booing the ref because he's the w@nker in the black/pink/yellow, I even get booing your own team if they've been shite, I just don't get booing an anthem, sorry!

I guess its just something that doesn't and never has overly bothered me at a game. I'm not that easily offended on other peoples behalf, and as said, I'm not the slightest bit bothered when fans in other countries boo and whistle while GSTQ is being played. It barely registers on my give-a-f*ck-ometer. In fact, if anything, I think it adds to the atmosphere of the occasion, and ramps up the tension before kickoff.

Hostility is a GOOD thing inside a football stadium. It creates atmosphere, gives the game an edge. The modern game has become sanitised enough already, has it not ?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I guess its just something that doesn't and never has overly bothered me at a game. I'm not that easily offended on other peoples behalf, and as said, I'm not the slightest bit bothered when fans in other countries boo and whistle while GSTQ is being played. It barely registers on my give-a-f*ck-ometer. In fact, if anything, I think it adds to the atmosphere of the occasion, and ramps up the tension before kickoff.

Hostility is a GOOD thing inside a football stadium. It creates atmosphere, gives the game an edge. The modern game has become sanitised enough already, has it not ?

Hhmmm, not sure you need hostility to create an atmosphere. The Sheffield Wednesday play off home leg Wall of Sound was testament to this...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hhmmm, not sure you need hostility to create an atmosphere. The Sheffield Wednesday play off home leg Wall of Sound was testament to this...

One of the best atmospheres I can remember was Millwall away in the 2nd leg of the playoffs. It was absolutely poisonous, and I loved it, I was absolutely buzzing (the fact we turned them over helped of course).

Within the obvious boundaries, there's nothing wrong with fans making it as uncomfortable as possible for the opposition. Boo their fans, boo their team, and yeah, boo their anthem. Then applaud at the end. Its all part of the theatre of sport.

Anyone would think England fans are the only ones who boo the oppositions anthem. Its far from exclusive to England fans, I can assure you.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
100% Guarantee if that game had been played in Germany, the German fans would have done exactly the same as our anthem was played .

Does that make it right ? Not really but I'd much prefer a bit of booing than all out war .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We also get zero points because our songs are shite.

To be fair, to produce the shite-est song at the Eurovision must take a lot of effort?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
One of the best atmospheres I can remember was Millwall away in the 2nd leg of the playoffs. It was absolutely poisonous, and I loved it, I was absolutely buzzing (the fact we turned them over helped of course).

Within the obvious boundaries, there's nothing wrong with fans making it as uncomfortable as possible for the opposition. Boo their fans, boo their team, and yeah, boo their anthem. Then applaud at the end. Its all part of the theatre of sport.

Anyone would think England fans are the only ones who boo the oppositions anthem. Its far from exclusive to England fans, I can assure you.

I am sure booing anthems goes on all round the world, still doesn't make it right though!

As for Millwall, like you I was there. You loved the poisonous atmosphere while I didn't and was glad to get away from the game unscathed.

Maybe this one incident tells us a lot about our personalities. I shun hostility, while you appear to embrace it as part of the game. Maybe all those years ago I was the original snowflake :)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If only fans of all those other sports would just boo the opposition and the respective national anthems, then the competing sportsmen and women in those sports would perform so much better.

Good grief. See that thing in front of your face? It's your nose.

To take a real world example of that. Golf is largely played in silence to respectful crowds and as a result hardly registers in the public consciousness. There are numerous examples - Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson and Ian Poulter the 3 most obvious - who thrive off the football style atmosphere of a Ryder Cup and normally reserve their best performances for it. Likewise, some of the better golfers on paper crumble under the pressure.

Hostile, often disrespectful, atmospheres can make a massive difference to performance, good or bad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon the only reason people don't boo our anthem is because is so deathly dreary that it send them to sleep instead. How anyone can be inspired by GSTQ is beyond me. It is the shittest anthem ever, and for several reasons.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I don’t really remember a good atmosphere I was very young though, Millwall fans lighting fires on the terraces and being kept in for an age after the game is a couple of things that stand out from the evening.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

So hated, we’ve won it 5 times, and runner up 15 times.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don’t really remember a good atmosphere I was very young though, Millwall fans lighting fires on the terraces and being kept in for an age after the game is a couple of things that stand out from the evening.

Just a brilliant night (although our coach getting bricked on the way out of that hellhole was a bit hairy).

I'm just genuinely surprised at the number of posters on this thread who are so dismayed and ashamed when fans boo the oppositions national anthem. GSTQ is boo'd all over the world when England play. Its all just a part of trying to build a hostile atmosphere, and more often than not it cuts both ways. It doesn't equate to some kind of race hate crime.

Totally harmless IMO, and serves to really ramp up the atmosphere right before kickoff. But I suppose I must be some kind of moron, going by the majority view on here.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just a brilliant night (although our coach getting bricked on the way out of that hellhole was a bit hairy).

I'm just genuinely surprised at the number of posters on this thread who are so dismayed and ashamed when fans boo the oppositions national anthem. GSTQ is boo'd all over the world when England play. Its all just a part of trying to build a hostile atmosphere, and more often than not it cuts both ways. It doesn't equate to some kind of race hate crime.

Totally harmless IMO, and serves to really ramp up the atmosphere right before kickoff. But I suppose I must be kind of moron, going by the majority view on here.
I’m not really surprised by this thread the Amex crowd used to clap the away attendance I mean WTAF :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here