Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't. Far from it.

But if you feel folk are embarrassed then my question is simply: What do you feel it is that causes their embarrassment ?

My take is that folk are not embarrassed to be English. They are embarrassed by some actions and attitudes that may be associated with it by default.

I'm one of those.

I’m not sure you can generalize actions and attitudes across an entire nationality. Seems a bit xenophobic…

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Drummed into us after the fall of the Empire by many teachers. We needed to feel guilty about our role in setting up the modern world.

Yes,interesting the different attitudes towards the past with different countries

Here in France
Napoleon is revered
You could argue that he was nothing other than a slave trading imperialist

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think for about 20 years. I can assure you we are not liked abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven’t entered a decent song for 20 years.

I can assure you I have no problem when I go abroad so maybe it’s you?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
All of which is why our booing of a national anthem is not pantomime and completely different from the examples you give before that.

Ricky Ponting will actually get an ovation from an English crowd if he scores a century in a crucial Ashes match against England, even though he was boo'd when he came out to bat.

I made the same point about Ponting in an earlier post - He came out to a spontaneous round of applause in his last Ashes innings in England. I also think that football crowds would do the same in the right situation. I seem to recall plenty of pro-french sentiment after the Bataclan (spelling?) incident which is one of the reasons why I believe it to be panto in the main as well as the mixing of corwds with little or no issues. Of course, there is a nationlistic element in there but not in much higher numbers - if at all - than the bells in the Hollies stand at kicking out time or some of the absolute wankers at the golf. Drink and sport brings them out but I find it curious that there is a perception that football is the worst of it.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Not lived, worked a lot in the Nordics and middle east. Was told once by a Swede, that it's expected in Sweden to like the English, but deep down they don't like us. Think Brexit and our general behaviour of our young people abroad on holidays and sometimes football, has created the issue. I know some other countries boo National Anthems, but personally think it's pathetic and we should be above it, but unfortunately we are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I've had a lot of contact with Swedes through work over the years and never heard that.

I think most people recognise that we're a pretty diverse country with a sizeable population and that idiots who go abroad on cheap holidays to cheap locations and cause trouble etc don't make a population. We're certainly not the only country whose yoof make the most of cheap holidays abroad with some causing trouble, anyway. And we're certainly not the only country with where there's trouble at football either - loads of countries have worse problems domestically.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if Germany had it's own army of online chinless wet wipes who woke up the next morning ashamed while crying into their bratwurst :cry: :moo:

Why do you have to be an “online chinless wet-wipe” to find it embarrassing and, to be honest, somewhat pathetic, to want to boo someone else’s national anthem?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I guess its just something that doesn't and never has overly bothered me at a game. I'm not that easily offended on other peoples behalf, and as said, I'm not the slightest bit bothered when fans in other countries boo and whistle while GSTQ is being played. It barely registers on my give-a-f*ck-ometer. In fact, if anything, I think it adds to the atmosphere of the occasion, and ramps up the tension before kickoff.

Hostility is a GOOD thing inside a football stadium. It creates atmosphere, gives the game an edge. The modern game has become sanitised enough already, has it not ?
Exactly, I am getting tired of bobble hatted woke warriors diluting our game day experience. I get that we dont want violence anymore, that's a good thing of course,.... but christ, leave us the unfettered tribalism at least.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Last time we played in Germany….

https://youtu.be/crYEEf3g3us

Hahahahaha - exactly. Ridiculous thread after such a huge win. Pure negative bollocks - a nothing incident. Ridiculous amount of pages, ridiculous anti English rubbish. And like someone said the other day, reads like the Guardian comments section from many! Video wins the thread - game over :lol: There is no ‘perfect nation’ - why do some people always strive for something that doesn’t exist and put a downer on what reality is ffs :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why was that funny??…… not that I’m surprised so probably no need to answer.

No need but cannot resist.

Overreaction, use of exclamation mark, damn fine wokery. It’s England v Germany, its football, they have done it to us, fans from many nations have done it to us and vice versa, it’s a small part of what makes football so much more engaging as a spectator sport, it’s tribal, it’s what makes the Amex seem so sterile by comparison, it annoys the oh so offended types that think their opinion is more valid than those of others, it has created a whole new clique on NSC that can be labelled.

To surmise it’s great, and brilliantly funny. Please do carry on. :clap2:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No need but cannot resist.

Overreaction, use of exclamation mark, damn fine wokery. It’s England v Germany, its football, they have done it to us, fans from many nations have done it to us and vice versa, it’s a small part of what makes football so much more engaging as a spectator sport, it’s tribal, it’s what makes the Amex seem so sterile by comparison, it annoys the oh so offended types that think their opinion is more valid than those of others, it has created a whole new clique on NSC that can be labelled.

To surmise it’s great, and brilliantly funny. Please do carry on. :clap2:

Glad I amuse you!

Different strokes for different folks. Woke or not, I don’t need that to be able to enjoy football.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It probably needs a high profile England player to ask the fans to not do it. Show some respect. It's just so unnecessary and reflects poorly on us as a nation.
The players all said it was the best atmosphere they had ever witnessed for an England game at Wembley :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
surely you could just pop your clutch under your arm.

If only life was this simple. Not a fan of clutches; I have a man purse, some might say a clutch, but this sits in the man bag with my other daily items.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hahahahaha - exactly. Ridiculous thread after such a huge win. Pure negative bollocks - a nothing incident. Ridiculous amount of pages, ridiculous anti English rubbish. And like someone said the other day, reads like the Guardian comments section from many! Video wins the thread - game over :lol: There is no ‘perfect nation’ - why do some people always strive for something that doesn’t exist and put a downer on what reality is ffs :shrug:

https://youtu.be/tmHLh9sHA4M

And the Welsh boo us ( this was on the other thread )
Do we get offended or write to the Gaurdian? Do we bollox. :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ukraine now, why?

:lolol:

EDIT: sorry [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], didn't mean to quote you - the second quote was supposed to be HT's saying we could hear his boo...

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

This is your 7th post on the thread.:)

At the end of the day, people not liking an anthem being boo'd has no impact on anyone, not in the ground, not the atmosphere, just in chat rooms. At yet people seem to get so wound up by opinions in chat rooms? :shrug:

Honestly, those getting wound up by people not liking booing of an anthem are just as bad as those getting wound up by the booing. :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here