Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I stood up and boo'd the Palace team when they trotted out for the second half in the last (full capacity) game at the Amex last year.

I feel awful now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Chanting at a Palace player that he might shed lacrimal fluid imminently is pretty poor fayre imho.

Why can't we all just enjoy the footie in harmony, plaiting daisies into each other's hair?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't like the booing of the anthem. But I wasn't much troubled by it.

What did bother me was when the stadium TV, unfortunately, showed a little German kid crying towards the end of the game.

The cheers from some of the crowd were audible.

I wonder if someone might want to explain what kicks people got out of seeing that to me.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Yes, I dislike booing of all the other countries national anthems. No need and disrespectful. I also would go as far as to say it's a cringe moment when it happens. As a balance tho', I've nothing against chants that are within the normal British sense of humour that are to be jokingly offensive. Causing offence always a large part of British humour.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

What did bother me was when the stadium TV, unfortunately, showed a little German kid crying towards the end of the game.

I wonder if someone might want to explain what kicks people got out of seeing that to me.

I agree; I saw that and was dismayed; I also wondered why a parent would take a child so young to such a match......

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

It happens ALL THE TIME. It’s just normally the English kid who’s crying.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Great result tonight, but the booing and disrespect of the oppositions national anthem I find absolutely embarrassing.

More than embarrassing - disgusting!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It happens ALL THE TIME. It’s just normally the English kid who’s crying.

Whether it happens all the time or not is not the question in hand.

I was simply asking why a minority of folk (and it would probably be about the same as the booing the national anthem percentage I guess) think that mocking an upset child so publicly is okay.

It's not really, is it ?

Doubtless it has now spread to social media so the deranged monkeys can take their giggles.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Anyone cheering the next time the referee takes one in the clackers or chanting 'WHO' when the oncoming visitor substitute appears needs to take a long, hard look at themselves.

#respect

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone cheering the next time the referee takes one in the clackers or chanting 'WHO' when the oncoming visitor substitute appears needs to take a long, hard look at themselves.

#respect

I think 'who' is a legitimate question and most respectful. One wishes to know exactly who the opposition are fielding.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Great result tonight, but the booing and disrespect of the oppositions national anthem I find absolutely embarrassing.

100% agree. Embarrassing nationalism.

I do love my country. I love its values. The values it aspires to hold. Tolerance. Fair play. I love the people in my country, and I love its diversity. I do love my country. The things I love are different to an exceptionalist patriot who thinks their country is the greatest in the world and is focused on symbols, like the flag, institutions like the army and the monarchy; people who believe in assimilation rather than diversity. There is more than one type of patriotism. It’s not just Rule Britannia. There are those people out there that love different aspects of their country and they are just as patriotic as anyone else.

(not my words, but ones I believe in)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ricky Ponting was booed for as long as I can remember when he came into bat in England apart from his last innings where a spontaneous round of applause broke out. Its just pantomime.

I had to come off the tweet macheen this morning after reading a load of bobble hatted, Euro wokers getting angry about everyone laughing at the German girl in tears. "Well, at least she will have freedom of movement" Faaacking hell. I'm not sure what's worse. The bells who said they'd support the Germans because the England boys took the knee and then watched the Germans do the same or the permanently offended who don't get the difference between real life and a bit of theatre.
Yep...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well, it happens for every England game I guess there was just more in v Germany? :shrug:
.... and all across the continent too... traditional to lambast the opposition and everything they stand for, it's the tribal football way, exactly why it's the biggest sport, best attended and most atmospheric... we have seen how dull games are with few or no fans... more booing please.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
.... and all across the continent too... traditional to lambast the opposition and everything they stand for, it's the tribal football way, exactly why it's the biggest sport, best attended and most atmospheric... we have seen how dull games are with few or no fans... more booing please.

This.

I really don't see why so many people are clutching their pearls over all this. The opposition fans aren't bothered, the players aren't bothered, its all about creating a hostile atmosphere using home advantage, and it IS just a bit of theatre. I dunno if anyone else noticed, but as the camera went along the line of German players during the anthem while the boo's were ringing out, Thomas Muller stared straight down the camera lens, smiled and gave a cheeky wink (THAT went well, eh Tom ?). He gets it. Its sport. Its fun. Its pantomime.

I've heard GSTQ boo'd countless times on Englands travels to various countries when the anthems are played. Does it send me into a tearful howling mess before the game ? Am I mortally offended at opposition fans boo-ing and whistling their way through our national anthem ? Am I DISGUSTED by it ?

Answers on a postcard. :rolleyes:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Yes, embarrassing, and we wonder why we get zero points in The Eurovision Song Contest ??? , we are hated around the world for our arrogance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

That's the fault of the cameraman and they could have picked a better target. I remember the Bristol City play off final - and I'm sure there are countless others - where the big screen flashed to a city fan in tears who got the full stadium experience of gestures and laughter from the contingent of Brighton fans. It's what happens at the football where we laugh at others and we have to learn to take it on the chin in return when it inevitably goes back the other way.

This goes back to the panto element. If I went into work and someone was in tears because their wife was unwell, I'd emphasise, buy them a cup of coffee and listen to what they had to say. I wouldn't sing "STAND UP IF YOUR WIFES NOT ILL" Crowds react differently and especially football crowds. Whilst the game has sanitised, it's not ready for the sympathy of the Germans at 2-0 yet. As I say, I blame the production. A middle aged bloke is fair game in that situation.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here