Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Sign Currie in £250k Deal

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
perseus said:
Bloody hell !!

What a cute bit of business. I would have dropped him anyrate cause he was too slow. Although he was good, his lack of space made him use the longer ball too often and the opponents knew what to expect.

But who is going to take the corners? Chippy must be back!

PS: I would have included a condition that he cannot play in the last match of the season.

Carpenter - the most disappointing player this season? He is not the answer.

itfc2004

Nov 26, 2004
really shocked that w have brought someone i thought he looked quite good when you played use down here think its a good deal all round

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sneaky George said:
Carpenter - the most disappointing player this season? He is not the answer.

I agree with you. But who else can take corners and free kicks? Nathan Jones? Paul Reid?

My real worry is that this sends a huge signal to other clubs that we can't afford to turn down an offer for anyone and £250k (which is peanuts to alot of clubs) will get them anyone they want. what chance Harding staying now that Everton, and ther club getting a decent fee for him (for example) have now seen the begging bowl go out.:eek:

I'm sure that McGhee would like to get a player on loan but it seems we only operate a revolving door at the players entrance and if we want to get one in we have to get one out first.........

But not all doom and gloom.
This is the first time Ipswich have bought a player FOR A FEE since november 2001 (Marcus Bent), so weel done DK for getting some dosh out of the tight bastards:lolol:

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
Re: Money from Currie

Jean Tigana's boyfriend said:
Why can't we put all that money into the team and guarentee staying up?

Mcghee sonner or later will probably leave due to the shite financial position we're in and leave for some team with a stadium like Leicester, Reading etc.

Plus if Currie played fantastically for us the whole season and we just missed out on staying up he could have left for nothing and we have no money for him. Why not restructure the team bring in a few players. We've lost a top player no one wants it slipping into the boards back pocket:)

I can't see McGhee leaving for either of those 2, he has already had a crack at both of them, hasn't he?

The club have money problems caused by our current playing conditions. McGhee knew that when he took on the job, if he didn't then breathing must be difficult for him!

Can't see him going to anyone just because of that.

Is the money for Currie being donated to the Alive and Kicking fund? If so does he and Ipswich get a cert, a chance to win a season ticket at Falmer and priority on cup tickets?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Dean Ashton can play for Crewe for 3 or 4 seasons and be top scorer of the CCC then we must have a chance of hanging on to what stars we have.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
perseus said:
I agree with you. But who else can take corners and free kicks? Nathan Jones? Paul Reid?

Exactly - which is why this is so bad for the playing side of the club. We'll need to find someone who can deliver a decent cross, free kick.

Watson used to take a good set piece but I can't see McGhee bringing back can you?

I know the finances have to dictate everything but I 'm soooooo depressed.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
i imagine the extra money other than the 250k would be if ipswich are promoted.

as long as we bring in a forward and a midfield for the rest of the reason it will make up for it.

also, PLEASE play jarrett .

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sneaky George said:
Exactly - which is why this is so bad for the playing side of the club. We'll need to find someone who can deliver a decent cross, free kick.

Watson used to take a good set piece but I can't see McGhee bringing back can you?

I know the finances have to dictate everything but I 'm soooooo depressed.

Practice. I do not know why other players cannot learn how to take corners?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
perseus said:
Practice. I do not know why other players cannot learn how to take corners?

Dead ball situations, free kicks etc are an art in football aren't they which is precisely why players who are good with dead ball situations are so highly valued. If our senior pros can't take a decent free kick or corner now they never will.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Storer68 said:
My real worry is that this sends a huge signal to other clubs that we can't afford to turn down an offer for anyone and £250k (which is peanuts to alot of clubs) will get them anyone they want.

Don't be daft, £250k is a lot of money for a 30 year old who has played most of his career in the lower two pro leagues. If anything it sends out the message that we won't part with our players cheaply.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit after watching Currie in the Plymouth game at the beginning of the season I wasn't sure about his abilities but he has come through as one of our most creative players so far this season. He has done a great service to the club in the short time he has been here.

Good Luck Darren, sorry and worried to see you go but we couldn't turn down that kind of cash.

blueandwhitearmy

Oct 29, 2004
Bevendean
All the best to Currie he has been our best player this season but all is not lost, at the end of the day we have only lost one player and he is 30 years old, not the most consistent and considering our financial situation £250,000 is not bad.
I say Good Business to the board, we must use the money wisely although personally bringing in McCammon or Owusu Abeye on loan isn't the answer. We need another creative player like Currie rather than relying on the youngsters like Hinshelwood.

Now let's go to Millwall and return with three points.
COME ON BRIGHTON!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It does concern me that this Currie money and the Spurs money are going into the Stadium fund to cover the cost of the extended review of possible stadium venues. What it the decision is that there is a better site than falmer? We are screwed. And if the decision is adjourned because of the election, we'll need money to keep the club afloat.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Important player to lose but 250K is an offer we can't refuse. Currie could have negotiated a free transfer in January or been injured and out for the season. Added to the Spurs money and A&K donations the club should be secure until we finally get a decsion on Falmer. If the sales allows us to bring in a few loans and negiotiate new contracts it will be an even better bit of business.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What a bunch of moaning gits on this board.

How can anyone say this is a disaster? Like Currie was the be-all and end-all of a one-man team? We coped before without him, and do you know what, I think we'll be alright after him. True, he does have a level of skill and vision that we haven't seen in an Albion player for a while, but there are many areas of his game where he is deficient.

I reckon (with no hard evidence) that this may well mean we keep Claridge, possibly until the end of the season, and we more be able to get one more loan player in, maybe this Quincy fella. We have the depth and the potential within the squad to more than adequately cover Currie's departure.

Other than that, the money will almost certainly be used by the club for the same purposes as the A&K fund - i.e. to stabilise the Albion, and paying its creditors etc. £250,000 for a 30 year-old with no previous experience at the top of Division One is a blinding bit of business.

Good luck, Darren but, like, go easy on the final day of the season...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
For a player of his age, with his lack of consistency (look how crap his crossing was against Rotherham, compared to some of his earlier performances) and with such a lack of pace it could be painful to watch I think this is an amazing piece of business for us.

I thought Joe Royle had done alright getting Ipswich to where they are, but on what I saw at Portman Road a couple of weeks ago and on the fact that they see a signing like Currie as actually strengthening their squad I'll be very surprised if they go up this season.

Bank the money, move on and let someone like Jarrett or even Robinson or Molango get near the first team squad.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
250,000 pounds for a 30year old player who has only palyed at chamipship level for four months? Fantastic deal. and if it goes on paying for the enquiry - well we need to find that money anyhow.

I'm chuffed to bits with this deal (but then I've never seem Darren Currie play!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here