Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S2

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
So a common question...which one?

My iPhone 3GS packed up and I have an early upgrade option...but the contract length would end up being 30 months. So this needs to be the right decision!

I am edging towards Samsung as I hear iPhone has a lot of problems?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You should get a better deal on the Galaxy S2 as you don't have to pay the Apple premium.

Plus the iPhone 5 is only round the corner so the iPhone 4 will soon be obsolete.

The S2 is slimmer and lighter than the iPhone 4 and has a bigger screen.

I do like the iPhone but there's nothing it can do that the Android powered Galaxy S2 cannot. Android is also a far more open and customisable operating system.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm also debating whether to get an iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy S2. One of the things that attracts me to the iPhone is a dictaphone app or sorts that allows you to record sound at a high quality, because I'm at uni and I'd like to be able to record my lectures. Does anyone know what the second recording quality of the Galaxy S2 is like?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm also debating whether to get an iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy S2. One of the things that attracts me to the iPhone is a dictaphone app or sorts that allows you to record sound at a high quality, because I'm at uni and I'd like to be able to record my lectures. Does anyone know what the second recording quality of the Galaxy S2 is like?

I would say equal, if not better.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Spamdrew

Jan 29, 2011
i have an iphone 4, my friend has the s2.
iphone advantages:
effortless transfer of music and media through itunes
app store with every app you could ever need,
the phone is very scratch resistant
S2 advantages:
the signal is a little better than the iphone
larger, more vibrant screen and louder speaker

so it depends on preference really. one factor that may come into play is facetime, apple's video chat app, however i have only used this a handful of times and have had my iphone 4 for a year. others may use it more, however the fact that it is bound by wifi is a hassle. Both phones have fantastic cameras and video cameras, and although on paper, the S2's is better, the difference is not huge.

both great phones. there is certainly nothing wrong with the iphone, although i hear the iphone 5 should come out some time in october.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
i have an iphone 4, my friend has the s2.
iphone advantages:
effortless transfer of music and media through itunes
app store with every app you could ever need,
the phone is very scratch resistant
S2 advantages:
the signal is a little better than the iphone
larger, more vibrant screen and louder speaker

so it depends on preference really. one factor that may come into play is facetime, apple's video chat app, however i have only used this a handful of times and have had my iphone 4 for a year. others may use it more, however the fact that it is bound by wifi is a hassle. Both phones have fantastic cameras and video cameras, and although on paper, the S2's is better, the difference is not huge.

both great phones. there is certainly nothing wrong with the iphone, although i hear the iphone 5 should come out some time in october.

I've not found anything on the app store that's not on the marketplace that I couldn't live without.
Apparently the s2 is meant to be scratch resistant. Not going to try it though.
Don't forget you can customise the s2 with different launchers and themes. Something apple don't want you doing.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I've gone from 3Gs to G2 recently.
The G2 spanks the 3gs for fun and it's great to be out from under the control of apple.
No more itunes, it's great!

However, the way samsung have set up Android means the battery life is appalling to the point of insulting.
I'm a geek so I've over-written their android with a better rom, but the average joe won't have that opportunity.
So I advise against the G2 for that reason alone.
But I'd add the HTC Sensation instead - dual core android like the G2moro but with better installation of android.

if you've spent a lot with Apple on apps etc. you may be better sticking with Apple; don't get a 4 tho, the 5 is out soon.
And the iOS 5 is out very soon which looks awesome.

So Either:
get a cheap phone while you wait for the iphone5: like a blackberry or Htc wildfire...
Or
Get an HTC Sensation

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd like to recommend the HTC Sensation - I absolutely LOVE mine and wouldn't be without it.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Battery life is the killer with standard Android phones. OTH if you're at home/in the office a lot, thats no real problem. Music wise, S2 is fine. I use Spotify and Google Music (US version) which means iTunes isn't missed.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, is there a phone in the same sort of class with better battery life?

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
i had this same dilemma on friday as my phone is packing up (nokia n97 mini and is shite) so early upgrade went for..............htc sensation

will do me alright

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here