Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPad Mini en route

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Bit of advice if I may please Gents. I am buying an iPad for the mrs and my daughter for Xmas, the 16gb is £399 and the 32gb £479. They will use it mainly for email, Internet and photos.

Will 16gb be sufficient for their needs?

Yes. Unless they want to download movies and such like, 16GB is more than enough. You can also get "clouds" which are backup storage up to 1TB if you want it.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I bought my daughter a cheapish Archos Android tablet at around the £150 mark.

I had a play to set it up and I couldn't believe how sluggish it was - it was horrible. Still, I thought she'd be fine with it. I was wrong - having used an iPad extensively, she didn't like it either, and we ended up taking it back and getting a refund.

If your budget is limited, get a Nexus 7 - with Project Butter included in Jelly Bean, it is far more slick than most Android tablet experiences.

There are some other very good android tablets out there such as the Cube U30GT and Yuandao N101, both dual core chip with 10in IPS screens running android Jelly Bean. If you know where to look (and unfortunately that means importing from China) they can be purchased for well under £150. While the experience will never match the simplicity and ease of an IPAD, for price comparison they are extremely good value for money and far from sluggish

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tomorrow is the day.

NSC may well stay up throughout the announcement I am afraid to say, as I'll be in a car somewhere approaching Leicester.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Out of curiosity (and I realise this is almost certainly fixtures) why does NSC usually go down when these things happen? Is it because you need your bandwidth to watch the reveals, or is it just tradition now?

D

Deleted member 18477

Really not happy with apple releasing a new full sized iPad. I purchased the iPad 3 only about 4 months ago!

Might give another tablet a try next time.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Thank f*** for the iPad mini, if it wasn't for this I would be really pissed off tonight :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its the wrong size isnt it? in trying to keep the same aspect ratio of 4:3 as the ipad they've made the mini too fat compared to other 7" devices and, well, not really much smaller than the ipad. with the price point the office consensus this morning is "whats the point? get an ipad 3".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
its the wrong size isnt it? in trying to keep the same aspect ratio of 4:3 as the ipad they've made the mini too fat compared to other 7" devices and, well, not really much smaller than the ipad. with the price point the office consensus this morning is "whats the point? get an ipad 3".[/QUOTE]

that would be a bit silly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really not happy with apple releasing a new full sized iPad. I purchased the iPad 3 only about 4 months ago!

Are you happy with your iPad3?

If you are, then why does it matter that there is subsequently a newer one? I bought the Ipad2 9 months before yours came out. I love it. There's nothing I need from it, that it doesn't have (although the better cameras would be nice to have).

Yes, I could have waited, but if you think like that, you'd never buy anything, would you?

The new smaller form factor is quite compelling and a welcome addition to Apple lineup.

Although not sure it's going to offer anything over my Samsung to make me want to buy it, after all with this sort of device I have pretty simple needs and the 7.7 machine I already have meets these perfectly.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Microsoft is completely dead in the water, no-one should be purchasing that stuff anymore. Apple will falter, you can see it coming. Google is where it's gonna be at. The cloud, Google Chrome, Google Docs. This is where it's at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here