Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iOS5

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Finally got the missus to work had itunes screwed it up and it had to restore and she lost everything. Bit shit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm now getting a message telling me my phone is in recovery mode. All that appears on the screen even after turning it off and on again is the iTunes logo and a picture of a USB cable. It looks completely FUBARed and doesn't work at all.

What the FOOK do I do now??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It also told me I had an error 9 message, which suggests it was disconnected during the update. Which it wasn't, at least not as far as I'm aware.

If I end up restoring the bloody factory settings, will this mean I lose loads of stuff- messages, photos, contacts etc? :angry:

It also told me I had an error 9 message, which suggests it was disconnected during the update. Which it wasn't, at least not as far as I'm aware.

If I end up restoring the bloody factory settings, will this mean I lose loads of stuff- messages, photos, contacts etc? :angry:

Did you back up the phone before you started the update? If you did all your contacts, photos and messages should be OK.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Did you back up the phone before you started the update? If you did all your contacts, photos and messages should be OK.

Er...it's been recently synced, but if I was supposed to be doing something specifically entitled "back up", then that's a negatory :(

Bollocks. It's supposedly restoring now, but whether that itself will encounter the same server problems, I have no idea. I hate technology :cry:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Er...it's been recently synced, but if I was supposed to be doing something specifically entitled "back up", then that's a negatory :(

Bollocks. It's supposedly restoring now, but whether that itself will encounter the same server problems, I have no idea. I hate technology :cry:

It should back up automatically.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, it's currently ploughing through the restore, and according to iTunes, I last backed it up at 0123 hours this morning. Albeit unwittingly.

It says "restoring iPhone apps" now, doesn't seem to be doing a lot, but at least I'm not getting the black screen of doom that I had half an hour ago. Does it take a long time to restore all the apps? Rather wishing I'd deleted a few of the junk ones I've accrued over the last couple of years now...

Edit: it appears that my messages, photos and contacts have been saved <sigh of relief> There is no music showing in the music app on the phone, but I guess that can't be so hard to sync back together at any point. So now I'm just going to leave it plugged in all night, seeing as it seems to be restoring, and hope the apps have finished updating by the time I get up in the morning...fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ahhh, now it says it's restoring my music & videos. Praise the LORD, technology is a good thing all over again.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
After giving up last night its back to it but now the thing won't get past backup stage. Think I might stay on 4!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Haven't bothered looking through the thread but am I the only one who's lost completely everything? No contacts remain on my phone aswell as images/videos? Very pissed off.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Haven't bothered looking through the thread but am I the only one who's lost completely everything? No contacts remain on my phone aswell as images/videos? Very pissed off.

No your not alone.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not the easiest update I've ever done. I moved my pictures using ACDSee so they're ok, contacts and phone stuff all ok but having to manually set up all of my apps in folders again which is a f***ing ball-ache. Also lost all my music despite doing a full backup and now unable to transfer it all back to my phone-in fact, I can't find it anywhere. I thought Apple were infallible?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Last time I ever try and transfer 25 GB of music over a wireless connection, taking for ever. This update best be worth the time I have wasted on it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here