Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iOS 6?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So what's new? I see I have passsbook now, but when I select 'app store' which seems to the the only thing I can select it just dies. Maps are worse in my opinion. It's no quicker, there's a couple of new Emoji, yey.

Awaits someone (Bozza?) to tell me why this is a ground breaking update, because I cannot see it. What is different?

Oh and I thought I could facetime over 3G now? But I've just had a message that I need to be on WiFi... WTF Apple?

they've killed off the 3gs your phone should self destruct anytime today

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
they've killed off the 3gs your phone should self destruct anytime today

I have just read the small print. Most of the features are not compatible with iPhone 4. Well thanks Apple! I really wish there were decent competition because I'm getting sick of Apple cutting off features on older models that are FULLY capable of running them to force people to upgrade. It was the same when iPad 1 didn't get the iMovie update app, but you could install it other ways and it ran smoothly. It was just to force people to change.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I hear I lose any kind of navigation from the maps app. on my iPhone 4 (not S). Can anyone confirm/deny? I can deal with an inferior app but not losing on entirely.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
They're NOT obliged to give you all the updates. You buy the phone with an operating system and any further updates are a bonus AND it's free to update.

If you do NOT want them to CUT OFF features, don't upgrade, simple.

The decision for not including certain features is up to Apple, whatever the reason. As a consumer, you check what features are gained/loss if upgrading and decide based on that. As for "forced" to changed, LOL :D Yeah, there's a gun to your head. It's like saying a car manufacturer "forces" you to change to the new model because it has features you can't fit to your current model.

Anyway, that aside, what features in particular are not compatible with the iPhone 4? I upgraded and haven't noticed anything less other than the maps satellite resolution (have linked to google maps site on homepage for that reason).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Apple could do a LOT better job with educating people on the changes in a new version of iOS as, has been illustrated here, people install it and go "(next to) nothing has changed."

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I think Apple could do a LOT better job with educating people on the changes in a new version of iOS as, has been illustrated here, people install it and go "(next to) nothing has changed."

Not sure what more they can do really - Apple - iOS 6 - iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch get 200+ new features.

People don't use the majority of features and services on their phone and really aren't that interested in updates unless something completely new is launched. I think people's ignorance over what has changed is no fault of theirs - it's just that only a few geeks are really ever interested in release notes.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have just read the small print. Most of the features are not compatible with iPhone 4. Well thanks Apple! I really wish there were decent competition because I'm getting sick of Apple cutting off features on older models that are FULLY capable of running them to force people to upgrade. It was the same when iPad 1 didn't get the iMovie update app, but you could install it other ways and it ran smoothly. It was just to force people to change.

It's a software update not a hardware update. Allot of the new features are designed to work on the newer hardware. Some of them could be enabled for the older hardware but they wouldn't run as smoothly as Apple would like them to. It's all about user experience with Apple if something isn't going to run how Apple want it to they won't let you have have it (Flash being the primary example). Always has and always will be the case I expect.

Personally I think it's a great update (and I'm on a iPhone 4). Only thing that annoyed me is that it switches on by default to vibrate when a new mail arrives which kept waking me up overnight. Have switched it off and activated the Do Not Disturb functionality.

Only had a brief play with the maps app and the turn by turn navigation is a great addition. The maps do seem a little on the basic side compared to Google's offering but I'm sure this will improve over time. The youtube app is much better than the Apple version IMO.

Overall the OS seems more polished and seems to run allot smoother than the previous version. Certainly worth updating to IMO.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Does Maps use moblie internet or GPS? I've read a lot about Apple trying to kill off the SatNav, can't see it working if users are relying on 3G. The fact that TomTom are providing Apple with the maps, suggests they're not too worried either?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
They're NOT obliged to give you all the updates. You buy the phone with an operating system and any further updates are a bonus AND it's free to update.

If you do NOT want them to CUT OFF features, don't upgrade, simple.

The decision for not including certain features is up to Apple, whatever the reason. As a consumer, you check what features are gained/loss if upgrading and decide based on that. As for "forced" to changed, LOL :D Yeah, there's a gun to your head. It's like saying a car manufacturer "forces" you to change to the new model because it has features you can't fit to your current model.

Anyway, that aside, what features in particular are not compatible with the iPhone 4? I upgraded and haven't noticed anything less other than the maps satellite resolution (have linked to google maps site on homepage for that reason).

My point being that ALL the updates WOULD work on the iPhone 4. But they've not enabled them. It's not a massive problem. I will just jailbreak the phone and pop them on there. It's just disappointing that you have to go this route when there is no logical explanation for the omission, except for Apple using it as a way to make people pay to upgrade.

And your analogy is poor. Apple push the software updates down to devices as old as the 3GS. And as such I feel they should support the older devices. A car manufacture doesn't make retrospective changes to it's older model of car.

Bozza is always going on about how Android don't support older versions of their phone, and it takes ages to get an update. But Apple is heading this way. Cutting features out of it's updates to suit them, not the consumer. I buy my products from Apple with the assumption they're supported well, but the further down the product line we go, the less supported we seem to be, despite the hardware being more than capable of taking it.

I pay a premium to use Apple products, and feel entitled to a premium service. I don't think it's too much to ask for new features that WILL work on my phone to be available via Apple, rather than jailbreak.

It's a software update not a hardware update. Allot of the new features are designed to work on the newer hardware. Some of them could be enabled for the older hardware but they wouldn't run as smoothly as Apple would like them to. It's all about user experience with Apple if something isn't going to run how Apple want it to they won't let you have have it (Flash being the primary example). Always has and always will be the case I expect.

Personally I think it's a great update (and I'm on a iPhone 4). Only thing that annoyed me is that it switches on by default to vibrate when a new mail arrives which kept waking me up overnight. Have switched it off and activated the Do Not Disturb functionality.

Only had a brief play with the maps app and the turn by turn navigation is a great addition. The maps do seem a little on the basic side compared to Google's offering but I'm sure this will improve over time. The youtube app is much better than the Apple version IMO.

Overall the OS seems more polished and seems to run allot smoother than the previous version. Certainly worth updating to IMO.

Not designed? In what way is the software not designed to work with the hardware? It's one of the biggest selling points that Apple has. That it's software is built with it's hardware in mind. The iPhone 4 will easily run some of the new features. Siri runs perfectly on Jailbroken devices, but Apple wouldn't get as many new product sales if they released it to everyone.

Anyway -- like a sheep I will get the new 5. I will jailbreak the 4 and give it to my partner (unless Bozza, yours is still for sale?). I just feel a little cheated, and as a paying customer, am entitled to moan.

Hmmpf.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not designed? In what way is the software not designed to work with the hardware? It's one of the biggest selling points that Apple has. That it's software is built with it's hardware in mind. The iPhone 4 will easily run some of the new features. Siri runs perfectly on Jailbroken devices, but Apple wouldn't get as many new product sales if they released it to everyone.

Anyway -- like a sheep I will get the new 5. I will jailbreak the 4 and give it to my partner (unless Bozza, yours is still for sale?). I just feel a little cheated, and as a paying customer, am entitled to moan.

Hmmpf.

Ok using your previous example about using iMovie on your iPad 1. The hardware wasn't designed for video editing, sure it works as it would if you tried to use final cut pro on an old mac but it wouldn't give you the user experience apple were looking for as it would be slow and cumbersome.

To be honest Apple are a nightmare when it comes to locking down devices but I can understand why they do and to be fair to them they make no secret of hiding that fact.

I jailbroke my old 3g and couldn't find anything there that made it worth the hassle other than the tethering which Apple have now added so I haven't bothered with my 4. Siri is about as exciting to me as poking myself in the eye repeatedly and from the press I've read it doesn't actually work very well.

Is there anything I'm missing out on?

Also I'm probably going to flog my 4 if you are interested in buying it??

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Ok using your previous example about using iMovie on your iPad 1. The hardware wasn't designed for video editing, sure it works as it would if you tried to use final cut pro on an old mac but it wouldn't give you the user experience apple were looking for as it would be slow and cumbersome.

To be honest Apple are a nightmare when it comes to locking down devices but I can understand why they do and to be fair to them they make no secret of hiding that fact.

I jailbroke my old 3g and couldn't find anything there that made it worth the hassle other than the tethering which Apple have now added so I haven't bothered with my 4. Siri is about as exciting to me as poking myself in the eye repeatedly and from the press I've read it doesn't actually work very well.

Is there anything I'm missing out on?

Also I'm probably going to flog my 4 if you are interested in buying it??

iMovie worked fine on the iPad one. That's my point. These applications work fine, Apple just don't want to release them all because then there would be little point in people upgrading. My only surprise is there's no difference in features for iPhone 4S and 5 that I know of, which makes upgrading a bit daft, unless you want the slight speed bump and bigger screen.

As for your 4, I already have one, thanks. I was looking for a white 4S.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
My point being that ALL the updates WOULD work on the iPhone 4. But they've not enabled them. It's not a massive problem. I will just jailbreak the phone and pop them on there. It's just disappointing that you have to go this route when there is no logical explanation for the omission, except for Apple using it as a way to make people pay to upgrade.

There IS a logical explanation, you just don't accept it (or don't want to see it). Look through all the history, the older models always lack some features (the 4 doesn't have Siri, the 3GS doesn't have a few more things etc.), this has ALWAYS been the case (the older devices are less powerful for a start). Apple want to preserve the user experience so they don't want to put certain features on so that it "sort of works", it has to work exactly as the intend or not at all.

Now, one *could* argue they don't give everything just to get people to upgrade (there may be small elements of truth to it) but if that were *really* the case, then they'd not upgrade old devices at all or miss out even more. I for one am surprised they STILL give the 3GS much of the new features, mostly the good ones too. If their intention in doing this was solely to get people to upgrade, they're not going about it the right way :D In other words, your argument about "making" people pay to upgrade is self-defeating in that most the latest features of iOS6 work with 4 year old phones. This is especially true giving your comment about about being no real differences between the 4S and 5, after all I thought they were just trying to get them to upgrade :D

BTW, upgrading and *support* are two different things.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
iMovie worked fine on the iPad one. That's my point. These applications work fine, Apple just don't want to release them all because then there would be little point in people upgrading. My only surprise is there's no difference in features for iPhone 4S and 5 that I know of, which makes upgrading a bit daft, unless you want the slight speed bump and bigger screen.

Well no there isn't but what were you expecting?

I'm going to upgrade because I'm due an upgrade simple as that which is why I missed the 3GS and 4S. I'm stuck with Apple because I've invested god knows how much in apps over the last 5 years. But I've no problem with that as I'm yet to see an all round better device on the market.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I disagree. For one, iMovie didn't work 'fine', it worked, but it was slow as shit. Apple constantly want their apps to be the best that they can be and if that means leaving behind a product that cost 5 quid which is over 2 years old, they will do. It's just how they work.

And sorry, but saying the 5 is a minor upgrade isn't true either. It's over TWICE as fast and the 4S which isn't exactly slow! It's smashed almost every other phone out of the park in benchmarking. That's significant.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
wow -- there's a lot of defence for Apple, so I'll leave you all to believe you're getting a good deal by having features that will work perfectly fine on your phone dropped from this update. I believe if it works (as Siri does on 4 and iMovie on iPad 1) it should be included. I'll still upgrade, because I'm due one and quite frankly I do not get on with Android operated phone.

I disagree. For one, iMovie didn't work 'fine', it worked, but it was slow as shit. Apple constantly want their apps to be the best that they can be and if that means leaving behind a product that cost 5 quid which is over 2 years old, they will do. It's just how they work.

And sorry, but saying the 5 is a minor upgrade isn't true either. It's over TWICE as fast and the 4S which isn't exactly slow! It's smashed almost every other phone out of the park in benchmarking. That's significant.

iMovie worked fine on mine. Not sure why yours didn't. And as for benchmarking, sure the 5 will beat the 4S, it has to, because there's little other change. However, against the competition, I'm not really sure how these measure up, how the tests are controlled or how accurate they are, or what the scores mean, but Samsungs old S3 beats Apples new iPhone 5. Not sure how significant this is, but It's hardly smashed out of the park...

iphone-5-benchmarks-geekbench.jpg

samsung-galaxy-s3-geekbench-benchmarks.jpg

I'm sure someone will come along and explain to me how these scores mean nothing and the iPhone 5 is still better, despite the tests.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am not a geek, but like the fact that Apple make things easy for idiots like myself.

A few years ago I wrote a website for students taking exams in June and December giving them free video podcast solutions to exam questions, using my iMac and iWeb. It was successful, I had over a million downloads as the exams they take are global and popular.

Apple them update their products and when I went the other week to stick some updated material on the site I found Apple had closed it down as no longer offer support for iWeb. Being totally clueless on these things I have no idea what to do, I would write to Steve Jobs personally but suspect I won't get a reply.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
wow -- there's a lot of defence for Apple, so I'll leave you all to believe you're getting a good deal by having features that will work perfectly fine on your phone dropped from this update. I believe if it works (as Siri does on 4 and iMovie on iPad 1) it should be included.

What features have I lost by upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS6? I've gained a few minor things but can't see that I've lost anything.

Your benchmark test to indicate that Siri/iMovie works on iPhone 4 and iPad 1 are not the same benchmarks that Apple have used. Regardless of whether it works well or not, the 4 didn't have Siri in the first place when it came out so nothing lost anyway.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
As I had an iPhone 4 and never wnet to the 4S I hadn't experienced Siri until yesterday when I updated my ipad. Have to say I am surprised at how good it is. I honestly expected it to be shit but so far everything I have said to it it has understood. I can see the benfits of using it when driving to send a text to the missus without having to type and things like that. Very handy addition.

Can't wait for the new phone to arrive tomorrow, had as much exposure to Android as I can stomach in the past few months with my HTC, almost feels like returning home tomorrow.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
What features have I lost by upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS6? I've gained a few minor things but can't see that I've lost anything.

Your benchmark test to indicate that Siri/iMovie works on iPhone 4 and iPad 1 are not the same benchmarks that Apple have used. Regardless of whether it works well or not, the 4 didn't have Siri in the first place when it came out so nothing lost anyway.

I didn't say anything was lost (although Google maps and YouTube were removed), I said features were dropped, e.g., iPhone 4 has had Siri, turn-by-turn navigation and face time over 3G. The last one I have no idea why it wouldn't work on an iPhone 4...

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
For sure it'd be great if they were included but I never had them in the first place so I'm no worse off.

Personally I'm a bit "meh" by the iPhone 5/iOS6 so not upgrading (in fact my monthly bill is now a third of what it was now out of contract). I think we've well and truly hit the law of diminishing returns with all Smartphones now. Either that or I'm getting old now :D Don't care for "social" media integration which is what a lot of them are championing these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here