Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

indy car crash yesterday...

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
nice first post, a guy only leaves 2 kids and his wife behind. Show a bit more respect.

Guy was a fantastic racer R.I.P

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Very sad.

There was a section at the end of commentary that made me raise an eyebrow. "The accident that nobody ever wanted to see". If a lot of people are really honest with themselves, a crash such as that is precisely what they do want to see. I remember watching the Australian Grand Prix in 2001 at the ESPN bar in Times Square. There was a major smash that killed a steward yet most of the crowd around me were whooping it up. I suspect that a lot of racing audiences are actually quite comfortable with the concept of "crash as entertainment" until it all goes horribly wrong. Nasty.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Very sad.

There was a section at the end of commentary that made my raise an eyebrow. "The accident that nobody ever wanted to see". If a lot of people are really honest with themselves, a crash such as that is precisely what they do want to see. I remember watching the Australian Grand Prix in 2001 at the ESPN bar in Times Square. There was a major smash that killed a steward yet most of the crowd around me were whooping it up. I suspect that a lot of racing audiences are actually quite comfortable with the concept of "crash as entertainment" until it all goes horribly wrong. Nasty.

I think people want to see incidents, not necessarily crashes, and certainly not bad ones - well, most people anyway.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think people want to see incidents, not necessarily crashes, and certainly not bad ones - well, most people anyway.

I think that's true, and is why Indy racing persists with a giant concrete wall around the outside of the ovals where cars are doing over 200mph for virtually the whole race. A run-off area at fast sections of tracks is a logical sensible introduction that F1 has used extensively. Why don't Indy car follow? It can only be because they deem the danger and crashes as part of the entertainment.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the American audience actually want to see crashes, but they do seem very slow on introducing the safety aspects that F1 have.

RIP Dan, a truly great British driver who went to the States and made a name for himself.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
nice first post, a guy only leaves 2 kids and his wife behind. Show a bit more respect.

Guy was a fantastic racer R.I.P

If you think THAT was disrespectful, don't go reading teh comments left below that youtube link. Absolutely unbelievable.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
If you think THAT was disrespectful, don't go reading teh comments left below that youtube link. Absolutely unbelievable.

i see the crash on BBC news i only had to see it once, i even looked away when i see the first fireball.

I love motor racing and crashes are part of the sport in a sense, but i cant see things like that

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
i see the crash on BBC news i only had to see it once, i even looked away when i see the first fireball.

I love motor racing and crashes are part of the sport in a sense, but i cant see things like that

It's when I watch the documentaries about F1 back in the 60's and early 70's that I just sit there open-mouthed. Fatal crashes were just part and parcel of it.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
It's when I watch the documentaries about F1 back in the 60's and early 70's that I just sit there open-mouthed. Fatal crashes were just part and parcel of it.

the one on BBC was horrible, couple of months back

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Working for the Goodwood Estate, Dan Wheldon joined us for our staff lunch after this years Festival of Speed weekend in July. Its always amazed me when someone famous like that takes time out to thank people for their work etc. He came across as a really nice guy & my thoughts go out to his young family at this sad time.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
You watch football ??? a game that relys on advertising, and teams play to win, players have died on the pitch is that silly.

the difference is that in this incident the "show" was doing replays of the crash from different cars etc like it was one of their "exciting incidents." big difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here