Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sorry people, but it's Cattle and Cane, one of THE best songs ever. FACT.

I did consider it. And Streets of your Town. And Bachelor Kisses.

What a terrific band.

Actually - can't link to YT at work, but there is some great work on the Streets of Your Town 12", including a song called "Cassanova's last words". That's up there in my list too.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I imagine they're the only band on this thread to have a bridge named after them:

forster-go-betweens-bridge.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I imagine they're the only band on this thread to have a bridge named after them:

View attachment 54743

Well now. That's quite cool. And a pretty SUBSTANTIAL bridge by the looks of it, too. I'm sure you're right. The only others I can think of with a BRIDGE link, are The Pooh Sticks...

The GB featured really heavily, in my late teenage / college days. I had all the Forster / McLennan solo stuff (on long lost cassettes), and of course I had a THING for Lindy Morrison.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did consider it. And Streets of your Town. And Bachelor Kisses.

What a terrific band.

Actually - can't link to YT at work, but there is some great work on the Streets of Your Town 12", including a song called "Cassanova's last words". That's up there in my list too.

This one...

Flex Your Head

Scroll through the posts, and for each one you want to quote, click on the icon in the bottom right ("+), so that a blue tick appears next to it. Then, once you've got ticks next to them all, click on the button "+reply to thread". Bob's your uncle.

Got it :thumbsup:

Inspired by the exchange on the Easter CD thread I've been trying to decide what my favourite Go Betweens song is.

I think I was too busy immersing myself in the global hardcore sound, which was massively important to me throughout the early 80's, to pay much attention to The Go-Betwens, although I was well aware of them via Peel, NME, Sounds etc. The songs posted here are all excellent though, so I might have to start looking for their back catalogue on ebay and amazon.

Anyway, this is great. I love Smudge.

Flex Your Head

I thought of this bunch when I was looking at the Finnish Musicians thread, but I think Finnmark! are part Swedish, part English and living in Leeds.
Mind you, this is still wonderful and desrves a plug. Very Scandinavian too as it's filmed on and named after an island in the Gothenburg archepelago - Brännö (weird, I always imagine archepelagos to be in hot, sunny places).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Any band whose sound is described as being a cross between the Beach Boys and the JAMC is alright by me.

I just went and bought 2 of their CDs on ebay for £1.27 each inc p&p on the strength of those two tracks.

Right. They're from San Diego, these fellas. Their songs are all about California, and surfing, and sunshine and stuff. Yet listening to this in the car today, a few more of the lyrics caught my ear. Can you chaps have a listen, around 50 seconds, and tell me what you think the missing word is;

Well, summer in the UK's great
But I miss summer USA
xxxxxxxxx's loads of fun
But you can't always get the sun

Does he say what I think he does!?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Your chance to get your name in print, linked with some C86 heroes and heroines, depending on how much you are willing to spend:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826456098/c86-and-all-that-indie-1983-86-a-history

I'm tempted by a £40 package - I'd get my hands on the much-discussed Lawrence and the Comfortable Society track then.... :drool:

Five days left if you want to pledge some money. The C86 reissue is reviewed on Pitchfork today - gets a 9.2:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19423-c86/

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm about 75% sure he says what you think he says....

I'm at about 85% sure. Of course, now I've convinced myself it's that, that is bound to be how I hear it.

Cool. I reckon I was jumping around the Escape Club with this guy at some stage!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm at about 85% sure. Of course, now I've convinced myself it's that, that is bound to be how I hear it.

Cool. I reckon I was jumping around the Escape Club with this guy at some stage!

Tweet him - [MENTION=7807]john[/MENTION]mcnicholas. Then we'll get the story - if it's a yes, he can fill us in on his time in the old hometown. Copy me in on the tweet [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]1970.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here