Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters

E

enigma

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
When youve seen them live, youll realise how good they are

They're clearly very good singers, particularly Kelly Rowland in my opinion. Beyonce is a bit warbly for me. The other girl is a bit irrelevant compared to them.

I'm not saying they aren't talented. I just don't really like some of their stuff. Some of their stuff is good though.

E

enigma

Does Beyonce's voice not grate though slightly? She overdoes the warbly bit way too much for me. This might be controversial, but I'd rather listen to Mariah Carey do the warbly stuff than her.

And that me and my girlfriend tune she did with Jay-Z not only ripped off 2Pac, but it was shit.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
enigma said:
Does Beyonce's voice not grate though slightly? She overdoes the warbly bit way too much for me. This might be controversial, but I'd rather listen to Mariah Carey do the warbly stuff than her.

And that me and my girlfriend tune she did with Jay-Z not only ripped off 2Pac, but it was shit.

Not at all - when she sang live, she was really amazing, miles better than the other 2 put together.

Mariah Carey does the warbling miles more than beyonce, and she doesnt sing live, so probably cant even do that!

Bonnie & Clyde '03 wasnt her best song, but the others on her album are really worth listening to

E

enigma

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Not at all - when she sang live, she was really amazing, miles better than the other 2 put together.

Mariah Carey does the warbling miles more than beyonce, and she doesnt sing live, so probably cant even do that!

Bonnie & Clyde '03 wasnt her best song, but the others on her album are really worth listening to

Yeah maybe Im being harsh, Mariah does do the warbling a lot.She's done some good tunes over the years although from about 2001 to this year she was a bit shoddy. Does she really not sing live?

I think Beyonce is probably the best singer technically but I like the sound of Kelly Rowland's voice better.That cant nobody song was good.

Jamie Foxx's stuff that is out sounds pretty good, especially Unpredictable with Ludacris.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i like both although i would take Oasis The Killers and The Kaiser cheifs over anything RnB has to offer.

Goring Gull said:
Weren't THE WHO classed as R n B now how the fcuk hjas that got anything to do with all this destiny child shite and R kelly

The WHO began as a mod's favourite, and they had the sand-gravel vocalist doing James Brown and Martha and Vandellas and Isley Brothers.
Just like the Small Faces too, who leaned more towards rocked-up blues material as done by Muddy Waters.

In the early 60's those and many other bands did popular covers of American rhythm and blues, while the available alternative was Everly Brothers/Buddy Holly/Chuck Berry styled stuff that influenced The Beatles Kinks and Rolling Stones, and Merseybeat in general.

All these British bands took their influences and ran with them, but had to grow into themselves or die, so the beat turned into pop/rock/psych and whatever else (which might include vaudeville, skiffle and country) so the great British beat boom was evaluated and injected with intrinsically British styled music interpretation.

R'n B as it stands is still an American domain, but the wide sweep of the terminology includes talents like Alicia Keys, and there's Usher, Babyface and all the way down to kiddie-crooners warbling and stretching words annoyingly as if they are practising scales! It relates back to Stevie Wonder, Isleys and Temptations and perhaps one can look further back to Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole.

Young Black America did not want to listen to blues. Original bluesmen were almost redundant except for the evolving interest from Europe, particularly Germany England and France. In London, Alexis Korner, Graham Bond, Cyril Davies and John Mayall catalysed the blues, and out of it came The Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group and Cream, and not to forget those Northern lads The Animals or Ireland's Them. R'n B found a place with Georgie Fame and Manfred Mann too, but with jazz thrown in there.

Music must change, there are only a few notes but so much can be done with them. Accept that some arrangements of those notes are going to be awful, but then you can feel like a connoisseur when you flip through the stuff you like, or search for something more.

Last edited:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Indie all the way over the shite that they call R&B. Destinys child, Usher. Craig Fcuking David, Sean Paul etc etc you're all bollocks. They cant even be talked about in the same context as bands like The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, The Levellers etc.

But give me a choice of any music and it will be Balearic House/Trance every time. :bowdown:

E

enigma

chez said:
Indie all the way over the shite that they call R&B. Destinys child, Usher. Craig Fcuking David, Sean Paul etc etc you're all bollocks. They cant even be talked about in the same context as bands like The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, The Levellers etc.

But give me a choice of any music and it will be Balearic House/Trance every time. :bowdown:

Two things

1) Sean Paul ? RnB? Try Dancehall.

2) You can't really slate the people above when you listen to Trance. That shit sounds awful. You need far more talent to be Usher or Craig David than a trance producer.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
enigma said:
Two things

1) Sean Paul ? RnB? Try Dancehall.

2) You can't really slate the people above when you listen to Trance. That shit sounds awful. You need far more talent to be Usher or Craig David than a trance producer.

In my eyes its not about talent. its all about what you like the sound of. Its a fact that Stevie Vai is one of the greatest guitarists of all time but if you dont like the sound of fast guitaring then to you he is shit. Same applies for Trance/ Chill out, yeah its all done on computers and doesnt need as much "talent" if you wanna call it that as say R&B, but to me it sounds a hell of a lot better.

All down to personal preference

E

enigma

chez said:
In my eyes its not about talent. its all about what you like the sound of. Its a fact that Stevie Vai is one of the greatest guitarists of all time but if you dont like the sound of fast guitaring then to you he is shit. Same applies for Trance/ Chill out, yeah its all done on computers and doesnt need as much "talent" if you wanna call it that as say R&B, but to me it sounds a hell of a lot better.

All down to personal preference

Fair enough. It just annoys me when people make out that people like Usher are useless, when in actual fact even if you dont like him he does have a great voice. But your point is fair enough.

I'm not one to disagree with personal preference. I listen to a lot of Grime music which some people think sounds awful. To me, its got energy and is more exciting than a lot of the hip-hop thats come out of the UK

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
There are so many great indie bands around - think Keane, Killers, Gene, Garbage, Green Day, Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Smashing Pumpkins, the Verve, Embrace, Pulp, Kasabian.....the list is endless.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Stones, they started out as an R'n'B band when that meant somthing (im going to use Rubbish 'n' Crap from now on for hte new shite). I see what enigma's saying, many of the bling singers can hold a note, but most of the actual tracks and production is dull and uninspiring. Id actually say it takes far more skill to create a good trance track than your average chart topping bling. Notable exception is Alicia keys who is different mustard and could easily hold it against the 60's and 70's singers.

E

enigma

beorhthelm said:
The Stones, they started out as an R'n'B band when that meant somthing (im going to use Rubbish 'n' Crap from now on for hte new shite). I see what enigma's saying, many of the bling singers can hold a note, but most of the actual tracks and production is dull and uninspiring. Id actually say it takes far more skill to create a good trance track than your average chart topping bling. Notable exception is Alicia keys who is different mustard and could easily hold it against the 60's and 70's singers.

I dispute that it takes more skill to create a trance track than actually be able to sing well.

John Legend is another one that could hold his own.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Hove&Albion F.C said:
Where's the option for HOUSE!? :rave: :bowdown:

Out of those two though, Indie hands down :)

I started the post, I wanted to concentrate on these 2. There is an option for other though.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
enigma said:
I dispute that it takes more skill to create a trance track than actually be able to sing well.

Trance is actually very difficult to produce. It might not sound it, but it's quite complex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here