Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Independiente - Gus/Mauricio massive rumour

YBOH

Banned
May 27, 2011
Sovereign Harbour
This isn't happy reading.

Just back from 3 weeks in Buenos Aires, seeing my family.

Lots of them and their friends are big and (some) influential Independiente fans.

For those who might not realise, Independiente are a massive massive club out here (probably the equivalent of Arsenal in England).

But they are a club in turmoil, in real danger of relegation this season (in Argentina relagation is based on performance in the last 6 "mini-seasons").

Their manager has resigned, having been (he claims) pressurised out of the job by the fans.

Rumour is rife that Independiente they are genuinely interested in Gus/Mauricio taking on the role. I know, as a fact, that there has been contact with at least one of them. Cash isn't a problem for Independiente; their budget is (unlike many clubs in Argentina) robust. They've just opened a new stadium and (despite their on field problems domestically) won the S. American version of the Europa League last season.

Obviously Gus and Mauricio are very tuned in to Independientes positioning in world football. For them and their families this would be a prestigious appointment to one of South Americas most famous and historically successful clubs.

I'm serious; this isn't head in the sand time. I think the next few weeks are going to be massive for our club.

Please stay Gus and Mauricio.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was in Argentina a year and a half back, took in a game at River Plate which was absolutely amazing, fantastic atmosphere. Since then they have gone into a bit of a downward spiral, which resulted in relegation to the second tier, apparently it isn't as easy for a club to get back to the top division as it is here. I have just booked flights to go back to Argentina/Chile in March and April next year and am looking forward to taking in at least one game while I am out there. I will be spending time in BA at the start and end of my trip, other than Boca, can you recommend a team(s) to go and see?

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Imo Gus & Tanno would want to prove themselves in the worlds top leagues, that would be England/Spain. Cant see them uprooting their familys just yet.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't think it'll happen. Gus's son, still relatively young and with Charlton, inevitably he'll eventually 'leave the nest', but not yet I would suggest.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Don't think it'll happen. Gus's son, still relatively young and with Charlton, inevitably he'll eventually 'leave the nest', but not yet I would suggest.

Hasn't he played schoolboy football for England, surely that might be a factor in keeping him (Gus) in the UK rather than returning to South America.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I'm serious; this isn't head in the sand time. I think the next few weeks are going to be massive for our club.

Please stay Gus and Mauricio.

your right the next few weeks are going to be massive for our club, but it will be cause we have 3 sell out night games in 6 days, 2 off which are live on tv and in 3D.

:albion2:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cant see them uprooting their familys just yet.

key point. i think one of the reasons Gus came here in the first place was its commutable from current home. i think if either had wanted to return to south america they'd have done so, ample oppurtunity, especially Gus. Tarrico went to Italy when his top level playing days were over, Gus pursued a career in the management here.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
record for shortest lived Gus/tanno rumour?

Not quite. I had a dream once about them entering the Pink Windmill to replace Croc, the bumbling camp green ally of Grotbags, aired my belief as i do with all nighttime fantasies and had it trampled on by those "in the know" on here within 103 seconds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here