BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'll go 30 pages on the Palace forum.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That has genuinely made me laugh out loud

another reason this rumour is such bullshit, is that the Argentinian league has only just started, independiente are in the top half according to google news. saying they might get relegated is like saying that spurs might get relegated because they were bottom after 2 games.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
This isn't happy reading.

Just back from 3 weeks in Buenos Aires, seeing my family.

Lots of them and their friends are big and (some) influential Independiente fans.

For those who might not realise, Independiente are a massive massive club out here (probably the equivalent of Arsenal in England).

But they are a club in turmoil, in real danger of relegation this season (in Argentina relagation is based on performance in the last 6 "mini-seasons").

Their manager has resigned, having been (he claims) pressurised out of the job by the fans.

Rumour is rife that Independiente they are genuinely interested in Gus/Mauricio taking on the role. I know, as a fact, that there has been contact with at least one of them. Cash isn't a problem for Independiente; their budget is (unlike many clubs in Argentina) robust. They've just opened a new stadium and (despite their on field problems domestically) won the S. American version of the Europa League last season.

Obviously Gus and Mauricio are very tuned in to Independientes positioning in world football. For them and their families this would be a prestigious appointment to one of South Americas most famous and historically successful clubs.

I'm serious; this isn't head in the sand time. I think the next few weeks are going to be massive for our club.

Please stay Gus and Mauricio.

This made me shit myself.

don't mean to piss on... well actually I do. they have already appointed a new coach.

Ramon Diaz named new coach of Independiente - Soccer - SI.com

This made me feel a whole lot better.

Not quite. I had a dream once about them entering the Pink Windmill to replace Croc, the bumbling camp green ally of Grotbags, aired my belief as i do with all nighttime fantasies and had it trampled on by those "in the know" on here within 103 seconds.

This made me piss myself.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not quite. I had a dream once about them entering the Pink Windmill to replace Croc, the bumbling camp green ally of Grotbags, aired my belief as i do with all nighttime fantasies and had it trampled on by those "in the know" on here within 103 seconds.
I had a dream that I was driving around Bristol with Inigo Calderon last night, not quite as obscure as your dream but a bit strange all the same. Nice though. :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is YBOH man enough to come back to this thread to eat his words?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Its not even a worthwhile rumour. Argentinean football is in turmoil. If Gus and tanno want to make it in football Independients is a ridiculous place to go.

YBOH

Banned
May 27, 2011
Sovereign Harbour
Regardless of the Diaz appointment (he won't last more than a few months, by the way), the fact is that this was a massive story in BA.

Gus and Mauricio are on the radar there big time! And that is very very significant.

What we need to recognise is that our view of the world and world football isn't one that "normal" people from oversees share.

Why would these guys want to manage there? Maybe the significantly superior quality of life (BA is significantly more stylish, family friendly and "big time" than the South Coast), the attraction of their families, and the lure of managing some of the biggest clubs in the world (not just the Championship or even England).

So, it seems as if the Independiente job is taken (albeit temporarily). But, this rumour is for real. Football people in BA are "all over" our 2 main guys.

Just a final thought - Almeyda's position at River isn't exactely secure. They need promotion at the 1st attempt. Already their season is stuttering.

River Plate or Brighton???

You need to take this seriously.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think it'll happen. Gus's son, still relatively young and with Charlton, inevitably he'll eventually 'leave the nest', but not yet I would suggest.

The eldest son has just started uni and there are two younger children, presumably still at school.

So YBOH, do we start panicking now or next summer?

YBOH

Banned
May 27, 2011
Sovereign Harbour
Gully: “I was in Argentina a year and a half back, took in a game at River Plate which was absolutely amazing, fantastic atmosphere. Since then they have gone into a bit of a downward spiral, which resulted in relegation to the second tier, apparently it isn't as easy for a club to get back to the top division as it is here. I have just booked flights to go back to Argentina/Chile in March and April next year and am looking forward to taking in at least one game while I am out there. I will be spending time in BA at the start and end of my trip, other than Boca, can you recommend a team(s) to go and see?”

There is one must see Gully, of course – Racing.

Probably the best match day experience game in game out. With the “bonus” that La Guardia Imperial (a bit more impressive than the ultras!) unfurl the biggest flag in the world every game.

Games against other BA sides are usually among the best and, of course, if you can make the classico v Independiente, it’s a must do.

I’m guessing that your level of Spanish is, at least, reasonable so you’ll have no trouble getting there on public transport – Avellaneda is a decent enough area to make your own way to and (assuming you’ll stay in downtown) quick and easy to get to also.

You’re right to avoid boca – a complete rip off. One thing that unites all Argentine fans is that boca are a disgrace to our game. They aren’t known as The Pigs for nothing! Stadium half empty most games, the fans who are there are mostly tourists. Just avoid it!

Have fun.

Last edited:

YBOH

Banned
May 27, 2011
Sovereign Harbour
The eldest son has just started uni and there are two younger children, presumably still at school.

So YBOH, do we start panicking now or next summer?

OK; that's a very complacent attitude. You need to understand the Argentinian (which is the same as the Uruguayan!) mentality. If these guys think that we regard their departure as inevitable, then they will go very very quickly. That's just how it is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not complacent, but quietly confident as Gus himself has said it will take something special/unique to take him away. He loves Zaragoza and Chelsea and has said he wants to manage either/both in his career. He has already turned down the Uruguay under 21 team manager's job.

YBOH

Banned
May 27, 2011
Sovereign Harbour
I'm not complacent, but quietly confident as Gus himself has said it will take something special/unique to take him away. He loves Zaragoza and Chelsea and has said he wants to manage either/both in his career. He has already turned down the Uruguay under 21 team manager's job.

That's what I'm talking about.

From most people in the world, managing Independiente, River etc is something special. They are massive massive clubs. It's just that, in England, for whatever reason we are unique in not seeing that. That's not a criticism; it's just how it is.

To be honest, I wouldn't take the uruguayan U-21 job!

YBOH

Banned
May 27, 2011
Sovereign Harbour
another reason this rumour is such bullshit, is that the Argentinian league has only just started, independiente are in the top half according to google news. saying they might get relegated is like saying that spurs might get relegated because they were bottom after 2 games.

Sorry brightn'ove - that's not how it works in Argentina.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here