In memory of an old friend

The view from the North Stand (sob):ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

Attachments

• goldstone.jpg
    goldstone.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 184

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Little Georgie Parris hiding behind the goal, nicking the ball from the Bristol Rovers keeper, and slotting it in the net - must have been the 1994/5 season?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Martlet said:
Little Georgie Parris hiding behind the goal, nicking the ball from the Bristol Rovers keeper, and slotting it in the net - must have been the 1994/5 season?

Remember it very well. I was behind the goal. :(

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Martlet said:
Wasn't that at the Bristol end, Turkey?

South Stand. Bristol fans in their usual corner of it wern't they? I don't have the clearest memory, I was just a kid then.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
ahhh - makes sense. I was northstanding it - nearly got beaten up on the train for laughing about it on my way back to Uni at Southampton by a couple of rabid Rovers fans!

happy days...

(ps anyone remember Jimmy Case's first game in charge? clue: Tuesday evening...)

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Martlet said:
ahhh - makes sense. I was northstanding it - nearly got beaten up on the train for laughing about it on my way back to Uni at Southampton by a couple of rabid Rovers fans!

happy days...

(ps anyone remember Jimmy Case's first game in charge? clue: Tuesday evening...)

Canvey Island, FA Cup 1st Round Replay. Won 4-1. Kind of went downhill from there really.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The excitement of being in the middle of the North stand for the first time when my dad thought I was old enough and took me in there (without my mum knowing).
Don't really miss being crushed on those blue barriers when we scored though.:cry: :falmer:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
dave the gaffer said:
Brighton 3 Millwall 2

2-0 down.......we scored three ( Steve Piper a couple ?) and the Millwall nutters running all over the ground...

marvellous scenes

I remember that game well. Was that not our first game in Div 2 in 77/78 after being promoted from Div 3? I was up the back of the west stand with a mate of my Dad. Meanwhile my Dad and my brother were in seats just in front of the Directors Box reserved for the Executive club. In front of them was the old enclosure. The hardcore Millwall fans had infiltrated the enclosure intending to get into the Directors box from below via the seats which my Dad and brother (then aged 8) were sitting in. My brother was so scared he didn't go back for a couple of years!

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
kevinsmith said:
Home game against York City in early 70's

0-0 at half-time but the team talk worked and Brighton won 7-0

Did think about going home at half time due to a very inept performance glad I did not

You're getting confused with the Walsall game. We were 2-2 each at halftime against York and won 7-2. About two weeks later we were 0-0 at half-time and beat Walsall 7-0 (Ward 4, Mellor 3). Those two games are probably the stand-out games for me at the Goldstone. What did Mullery say to them at half-time?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Is it possible to post pictures on here that are NOT on the web? If so, how? I have one on my hard-drive that I'd like to share, for no good reason.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
GUNTER said:
* Alan Curbishley scoring a cracker for Charlton in a 5-3 win for us.
* The emotion after Nelson and Bremner scored against Bristol Rovers to gift us promotion in 87.

Need I go on........great memories all.

Actually, Charlton won 5-3. And that promotion year was 1988. And THAT goal was in 1997.

For me, there was

• Beating Charlton 7-0. We were 5-0 up at half-time, Case was running riot, and I got fed up of cheering every goal.

• Chelsea running wild in 1983. That was the scariest time.

• Brighton coming back from 3-1 down against Bournemouth for a 3-3 draw. Now the North Stand REALLY went mad for that.

• Beating Manchester United 1-0 (Ward). Two United players got carried off going for the same ball that Wardy ducked out of the way of.

• The aforementioned promotion v Bristol Rovers.

• Beating Norwich 1-0 in the Cup QF at a pakced Goldstone. They closed the gates on the North Stand at 1.30, and I had to stand in the South West. Bah!

I remember the surges, the bouncing when we scored, getting crushed against the crash barriers, the fences, the racist chants, the Doc Martens boots left in Old Shoreham Road, the laces being taken from the boots, the celery, the Goldstone Roar, the A-G, A-G-R, A-G-R-O AGGRO...

More later...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here