Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In all serious - what happens to Hawkins now?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
i think hes a good defender, not ever been fully fit. if people get off his back he might start playing well like he was at the begining of the season.

:clap2:

I had to of course say something on a thread about Hawkins!

I agree with you, he was really good for us at the start of the season, however due to injury, being brought back too early and people abusing him it has ruined him as a player here and shattered his confidence.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What happens to Hawkins now? A long spell in the reserves, I guess, unless we have a terrible injury crisis. If someone wants to have him on loan, we should let them. He's not the hopeless donkey that some people think he is, but as a like-for-like replacement for dear old Guy Butters he was never even in with a shout.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
:clap2:

I had to of course say something on a thread about Hawkins!

I agree with you, he was really good for us at the start of the season, however due to injury, being brought back too early and people abusing him it has ruined him as a player here and shattered his confidence.

Does that mean that, although you like him, you think his career here is over?

I don't see anyway back for him now he's presumably 5th choice centre back.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Does that mean that, although you like him, you think his career here is over?

I don't see anyway back for him now he's presumably 5th choice centre back.

Yeah I'd probably say so. I had this conversation the other day and I don't see how he can come back from this, people have their opinion of him and I can't see it changing. They did the same thing to Henderson.

With regards to being 5th, I wouldn't put El-Abd ahead of Hawkins, with at least 3 centre backs that people agree on (Virgo, Hinshelwood, Elphick) I don't want to see El-Abd at centre back (or midfield for that matter).

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yeah I'd probably say so. I had this conversation the other day and I don't see how he can come back from this, people have their opinion of him and I can't see it changing. They did the same thing to Henderson.

With regards to being 5th, I wouldn't put El-Abd ahead of Hawkins, with at least 3 centre backs that people agree on (Virgo, Hinshelwood, Elphick) I don't want to see El-Abd at centre back (or midfield for that matter).

But peoples opinion of Butters changed, suggesting it IS possible to change peoples opinions with a good run of form?

Thinking about it, Micky is probably in agreement with you over our defenders, although I suspect he doesn't dislike El-Abd in midfield quite as much!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

I still believe the only game he looked more than average for us was Crewe, and the fact that they were bottom of the table until a few weeks ago suggests that that was not a particularly impressive achievement. Hawkins had more of a chance than Butters, but it's clear he isn't good enough whether people are on or off his back.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'd like to think that Hawkins exclusively uses Withdean Wanderer arse-wipe at home. Does anybody know where he (Hawkins) lives - coz I'll nip over to his gaff & see if I can blag a few rolls. :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wish I could be bothered to trawl through the match report threads from september/october to see who exactly was saying such positive things about Hawkins.

.....but they are probably not worth the effort just to make a point
:shootself

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I'd like to think that Hawkins exclusively uses Withdean Wanderer arse-wipe at home. Does anybody know where he (Hawkins) lives - coz I'll nip over to his gaff & see if I can blag a few rolls. :thumbsup:

:lolol: What have I said now?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I wish I could be bothered to trawl through the match report threads from september/october to see who exactly was saying such positive things about Hawkins.

.....but they are probably not worth the effort just to make a point
:shootself

Crewe today. - North Stand Chat Good player ratings v Crewe

Player ratings vs Barnet - North Stand Chat likewise against Barnet

Idiots raving about him here: Colin Hawkins - North Stand Chat

Elder for England gets in on the act here: Colin Hawkins - North Stand Chat

And then it all goes tits up for him basically. Just the two good games then...

(If anyone else is interested in the Hawkins threads: North Stand Chat )

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Why's this still going on? Hawkins is shit and should have f***ed off months ago. He will go nowhere. We will keep him for 3 years and he will retire. The end.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
From the very first home game (I didn't go to Crewe) i said that he should not be in the starting 11.

People were saying that we can't drop him after starting so well first three games, but i was saying that we can if we want to stay near the top!

Own up all you Hawkins lovers:laugh:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why's this still going on? Hawkins is shit and should have f***ed off months ago. He will go nowhere. We will keep him for 3 years and he will retire. The end.

If someone will take Loft and Robinson you can probably live in hope :)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Hawkins won't turn into a Butters because Guy's reading of the game and positional sense were at another level. Most of Hawkins' experience has been in the League of Ireland and the bottom division. Sadly, I'm not convinced that he is good enough for Division 1.

Spot on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How many times has Virgo played right back this season.

He was poor at Peterborough.

He was awful at Stockport, where Whing watched from the away end looking understandably unimpressed.

He was run ragged on Saturday.

Well, he was excellent there against Leeds. Certainly didn't notice him getting run ragged at the weekend, and he not only attacks more than Whing but also delivers a better crossfield ball. Fine at RB as far as I can see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here