Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In all serious - what happens to Hawkins now?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is all depends on whether Virgo actually is a 'nightmare' at right-back, or whether you're talking out of your a*** as usual....

How many times has Virgo played right back this season.

He was poor at Peterborough.

He was awful at Stockport, where Whing watched from the away end looking understandably unimpressed.

He was run ragged on Saturday.

Unless there are a load of games I've missed, where he's been really good there, then I think he's right. Maybe 'nightmare' is a little strong. 'Weak link' would be fairer.

If he's chosen at centre back, I have no issue - he's a good player. But nowhere else please, except in a [genuine] emergency.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Virgo played a fair amount of the 03/04 play off season at right back and did a good job. He's a decent right back at this level.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Recent evidence suggests otherwise. Were you there on Saturday?

That guy would not have embarrassed Whing in the way he did poor Virgs.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

I was, but near the start of the season Whing was equally unimpressive. The left winger looked highly acomplished and put Elphick on his arse as well after beating Virgo.

The worst thing for Virgo is because he's played in so many positions this season it makes it harder for him to stabalise himself in the surroundings and meet the requirements of a certain position, like right back.

If he had a slightly more prolonged spell at right back and knew he would be likely to be playing there most weeks then I think he would do a respectable job.

The two games he has played badly at right back seem to coincide with the fact the right wingers in front of him have given him little help - Carole and Fleetwood.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was, but near the start of the season Whing was equally unimpressive. The left winger looked highly acomplished and put Elphick on his arse as well after beating Virgo.

The worst thing for Virgo is because he's played in so many positions this season it makes it harder for him to stabalise himself in the surroundings and meet the requirements of a certain position, like right back.

If he had a slightly more prolonged spell at right back and knew he would be likely to be playing there most weeks then I think he would do a respectable job.

The two games he has played badly at right back seem to coincide with the fact the right wingers in front of him have given him little help - Carole and Fleetwood.

I would agree that Fleetwood wasn't a great help to him at Stockport, but I think Birchall did his job on Saturday. Anyway, they're the same players Whing has had in front of him.

Whing is undoubtably the more accomplished right back, both defensively, and going forward. Everybody except those borrowing BensGrandad's BLINKERS can see that. If Adams doesn't bring him back in, just so he can continue his Virgo love-in, it would be yet another stupid, avoidable mistake.

That wasn't the case at Peterborough where Virgo struggled positionally at right back throughout and was absolutely clueless during the first half.

I didn't go to Stockport, but heard from some that did that he didn't play well, and thought he was poor last saturday, although I suspect he wasn't fully fit. I also don't think he was exposed as you imply whilst Burchall was on the pitch.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hopefully he will be disposed of ASAP. Adams signed some bad players first time round but was usually quick to rectify his mistakes, just a shame we gave Hawkins a 2 year contract.
On the topic of our other centrehalves though, I still think as well as the Elphick-Hinshelwood partnership has done Adams would still like someone with more height and experience in there, maybe that will be Virgo (not sure where else he can be fitted in), though I'm not sure which one would miss out.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Agree with you.Put a nippy winger on him and his useless.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
He's a nightmare there for me. Defensively, you are just praying that he is not up against someone who will run at him, and coming forward I just LOVE seeing a full back overlapping and getting crosses in, which is never going to be Virgos game.

For my money he is a good centre-half, but if we are not going to pik him there, we don't pick him anywhere.

The highlights on Virgin were quite frankly embarassing for Virgs. His body language after their guy had taken the piss out of him was a little sad really!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
and Virgo's distribution is poor from right back, he always seems to hit the ball too long. And Whingy is becoming a legend...

Personally, I would rest Elphick.

PG

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It may have been NSC chat at the time, but I understood that Virgo came back under the condition that he would get to play all games where he was fit. It seemed an unlikely clause to have in the contract, but I recall how badly we wanted him back at the time and I suspect he wouldn't have moved unless there were some guarantees in place. Can anyone confirm this?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
strange that the people who were calling Hawkins a legend and a hero in the first two months of the season are villifying him now

SamSeagull

Mar 10, 2008
i think hes a good defender, not ever been fully fit. if people get off his back he might start playing well like he was at the begining of the season.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
i think hes a good defender, not ever been fully fit. if people get off his back he might start playing well like he was at the begining of the season.

I don't, however that's not the point.

The point: Will he even get another game this season? SO many defenders ahead of him.

Oddly enough, this thread has developed more into one about Virgo. Yes, he played well at right back in 03/04, but was even better at centre forward at 04/05. I'm not sure if that proves anything, but I'm CERTAIN that this seasons performances show he's not good in EITHER of those positions. Centre back - nothing else.

SamSeagull

Mar 10, 2008
I don't, however that's not the point.

The point: Will he even get another game this season? SO many defenders ahead of him.

Oddly enough, this thread has developed more into one about Virgo. Yes, he played well at right back in 03/04, but was even better at centre forward at 04/05. I'm not sure if that proves anything, but I'm CERTAIN that this seasons performances show he's not good in EITHER of those positions. Centre back - nothing else.

at the start od the season he was our best defender, if people gave him a chance i think he could be a usefull player

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can see The Hawk being loaned out next season if nobody comes in with a transfer bid.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
at the start od the season he was our best defender, if people gave him a chance i think he could be a usefull player

I agree with you there, give him a chance I say.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Send him to Lewes with a note telling them to take care of him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here