Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In all serious - what happens to Hawkins now?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The current squad means there can be NO excuses to play Virgo anywhere other than Centre Back. Before anyone argues otherwise - he is a NIGHTMARE at right full back. See Saturday's performance for the perfect example. It's a last resort move for him.

Anyway, with Virgo (good centre back) Elphick (good centre back on his day although not always on form this season) and Hinshelwood (good centre back but particularly erratic at the moment), what the hell is Adams going to do with Hawkins?

Is this the end?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think, and I may be wrong, that we signed Hawkins and THEN Virgo.

Clearly had we known Virgo was available and willing to drop down to League 1 we would not have entertained the idea of signing Hawkins.

Hopefully he can be got rid of on loan to some conference team.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Well, without being rude to the chap, he proberly wont get a game anymore. But like Mr Mayo if were ever desperate we can always call him up.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Elphick
Hinshelwood
Virgo
El Abd

All better centre backs. McNulty can also play there. As can Livermore at a PUSH.

Hawkins is a waste of wages.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Elphick
Hinshelwood
Virgo
El Abd

All better centre backs. McNulty can also play there. As can Livermore at a PUSH.

Hawkins is a waste of wages.

I'd totally forgotten about El-Abd, who surely can't still be considered a midfielder given the new signings?

Five centre backs plus Lynch. Totally ridiculous.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think as the team picks up points and grows in confidence, Hawkins will grow in confidence. I accept he wouldn't be our first choice but certainley a decent back up. I know people have a very low opinion of him but he showed some promise early on in the season when he was fit.
Some players lose confidence and inturn make mistakes he was guilty of both but he was recovering from an operation. Let's face it, he's not the only one who has been well under par this season. Give him another chance?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'd totally forgotten about El-Abd, who surely can't still be considered a midfielder given the new signings?

Five centre backs plus Lynch. Totally ridiculous.

El Abd is one of those players you need at this level who can fill in in midfield if we have bad injuries or suspensions. For a couple of games. Not every week.

I hope he reverts back to decent back up player now.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

I really wouldn't be suprised if El-Abd holds down his place in CM - it's a difficult one but I can see why Micky would play him and I do think he brings something to the team.

As for Hawkins - I'm really hoping, and quite confident, that Micky has realised that he isn't really good enough. He might be around for a while, but if he gets a game above the peopl mentioned it would be a joke.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Haven't been to a game since a particularly dull 2-1 home defeat by Chesterfield in October 2006 but is there any chance of Hawkins have a Guy Butters style come back after a less than promising start and becoming one of our most popular players in years or is all that about as likely as a not at all likely thing?

As has been said on here no less than 46 times today hats off to the board for the recent signings. Let's hope for a turn around in fortunes in the second half of the season leading to a summer with an altogether misplaced sense of optimism that we'll win every game next season 7-0.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Remember what happened to Butts, he was useless when he
first arrived. Even worse than Hawkins:blush:
Give him another chance and he is on a 3 year contract and just
brought a house in Woodingdean.
You can see by his stature that
he is a decent guy and embarrased by his perfomances.
:albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The 800-odd idiots who went to Millwall on a Tuesday night, for a JPT game, can also verify that ANDY WHING is also a pretty decent stand-in centre back...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is all depends on whether Virgo actually is a 'nightmare' at right-back, or whether you're talking out of your a*** as usual....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is all depends on whether Virgo actually is a 'nightmare' at right-back, or whether you're talking out of your a*** as usual....

He's a nightmare there for me. Defensively, you are just praying that he is not up against someone who will run at him, and coming forward I just LOVE seeing a full back overlapping and getting crosses in, which is never going to be Virgos game.

For my money he is a good centre-half, but if we are not going to pik him there, we don't pick him anywhere.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Hawkins won't turn into a Butters because Guy's reading of the game and positional sense were at another level. Most of Hawkins' experience has been in the League of Ireland and the bottom division. Sadly, I'm not convinced that he is good enough for Division 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here