Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impressions of USA

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which place was your favourite? Would like to visit Nashville and Vegas at some point
Very difficult question we had 6 nights in Vegas which was 2 too many 4 would have been ample. Moved on to FLAGSTAFF to do the Canyon but was intrigued by the number of trains there and the length as each train had about 80 goods carriages but I couldn't find out why on the net. Is it a terminus or train centre or similar. Dr Thomas Beeching eat your heart out. Then stayed in Amarillo on the way to Memphis. i liked Gracelands but was a little suprised that it wasnt as big or as grand as I expected for a man with Elvis wealth and then loved Beale St. We then moved on to Nashville and the music bars and recording studios and was surprised to be told that Dolly Parton wrote I will Always Love you for Elvis to record but as with all of his records he wanted 50% share which she wouldn't give him so he didn't record it and since then she has earned over $40m in revenue from it. Also he recorded Its now or never at 4.00am and in 1 take. Then moved on to Louisville and the Muhammed Ali Museum and could have spent all day there as they have all of his fights available to watch on tape. We then moved on to Chicago for 3 nights before flying home. Igf I had to choose a favourite I would probably say I was most impressed with ALI Musuem but all in all it was a fabulous holiday but unfortunately did not allow time for us to go hunting out restaurants in each town we had to settle for any we found on the net and in most cases not fast food or big chains other
than breakfast at IHOP. The best restaurant by far was our last night at Joes Crab and Steakhouse in Rush St Chicago which was very very good quite expensive over $500 for a 2 course for 4 but absolutely brilliant steak with Spinach in cream.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
done a bungee jump in Flagstaff!!

stayed in a place called Williams on the route 66

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We went down a road, I think that it was the Interstate 40 which ran along side route 66 and crossed it a number of times. No I have never done a bungee jump anywhere.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Also, during a half an hour show these ad breaks will be:

Opening scene - ADS - Opening credits and another scene - ADS - Another scene - ADS - Another scene -ADS - Closing credits

:rant: I couldn't deal with that for very long.

If anyone is heading for Orlando I know where to find 'THE' best steakhouse in Florida, it's a wonder to behold.

Yes please, we off there end of September

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Moved on to FLAGSTAFF to do the Canyon but was intrigued by the number of trains there and the length as each train had about 80 goods carriages but I couldn't find out why on the net. Is it a terminus or train centre or similar. Dr Thomas Beeching eat your heart out.

Quite normal to see freight trains the length of several football pitches in North America. That would have a few people fuming if they ran trains of that length through Portslade Level Crossing.

It was Dr Richard Beeching not Thomas btw - If you or anyone else actually gives a shit? :thumbsup:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Fascinting thread. A question from the Fef household - are there many vegetarian options/choices in restaurants, or even veggie restaurants in the US?
Or are we expecting a little too much?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite normal to see freight trains the length of several football pitches in North America. That would have a few people fuming if they ran trains of that length through Portslade Level Crossing.

It was Dr Richard Beeching not Thomas btw - If you or anyone else actually gives a shit? :thumbsup:

You are correct about the man who closed all the railways was Richard BEECHING but is Flagstaff a large train depot or is that usual for N America. We saw a number driving to Chicago but none as long as those. Not being vegetarian I didn't look but I am sure somebody who Ives in the USA will help.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
Fascinting thread. A question from the Fef household - are there many vegetarian options/choices in restaurants, or even veggie restaurants in the US?
Or are we expecting a little too much?

Most US restaurants don't label vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free options/choices on the menu like in the UK and if they do label, it isn't made to be very obvious or as easy to read. Veggie/vegan diets is easy, following a gluten free diet is extremely difficult. Asking your server for help will get you mixed results

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
They drive EVERYWHERE.

Public transport is basically for poor people.

Depends where you're talking about. Everybody uses the El in Chicago, the Bart in the Bay Area and the San Diego Trolley, and commuters use the Subway in New York. On the other hand, I get the feeling that most people in LA don't realise they even have a rapid transit system ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Travel to the US quite regualry with work, was in San Diego and LA last week and its not all fast food. you can find some really great restaurants and sandwhich shops all over the place. The thing with the Us I find is that there really is something for every budget!
Your not going to find greens in KFC or Taco bell are you, even the Cheesecake factory have decent healthy meals!
Every fast food place has to advertise the calories of a meal in the US now anyway so you can see what you are consuming before you do.

Most of the cars are a lot bigger then ours, I was renting a ford focus and was a whole lot bigger then my focus over here!

The US is great, you have to embrac their culture, its very different to ours but a great country....enjoy it while you are there.

Exactly. There is fast food all over the USA but if you can be bothered to do a little basic research, also some of the best food (and at the best prices) anywhere in the world. There's a branch of Gallagher's (a superb New York steakhouse) at Newark airport - compare that with the miserable fare on offer at Gatwick or Heathrow. It's a s good as the Gallagher's in Manhattan , although Peter Luger's in Brooklyn is even better. Obviously big party cities like Miami and New Orleans have many excellent restaurants, but even a place in the middle of nowhere like Indianapolis has enough decent places to keep you going for a (Super Bowl) week ...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Health conscious my arse.

We went to Aquatica today and Junior asked for less chips at lunch and the woman ignored him totally !

Mind you never felt I looked so fit when in the USA there really are some very fat bastards here and lots are kids.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If anyone is heading for Orlando I know where to find 'THE' best steakhouse in Florida, it's a wonder to behold.

Spill the beans then, we are in Orlando area right now

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm in Florida now and it's all the same as it ever was when we first visited 20+ years ago.
Big cars, the one we hired does 16mpg! And food is very cheap.

Can't see any change.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Health conscious my arse.

We went to Aquatica today and Junior asked for less chips at lunch and the woman ignored him totally !

Mind you never felt I looked so fit when in the USA there really are some very fat bastards here and lots are kids.

We're off to W&W tomorrow and Universal next week, wore the shirt at sea world yesterday :thumbsup:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have just returned from a fabulous holiday in the USA but was little surprised by a few things since my last visit some 10 yeas ago.

1. For a country that appears to be health conscious there are many, many obese people.
2. The food is generally of a very poor standard and consists of either steak KFC type Chicken and junk food and they have never heard of vegetables other than corn or broccoli
3. The big cars seem to have all but disappeared and replaced with European/Japanese

4. One of the very god things that our pubs and bars should follow if you buy a coke or sprite they continually refill the glass for as long as you are in the bar. At the minimal cost of post-mix syrup our pubs could easily follow suit but we are money grabbing It would certainly help to eradicate drink driving.

What has been highlighted by others while away on holiday good or bad.

1. yes, not as bad as 4 years ago, for me in Florida not been anywhere else. Plenty of boob jobs as well ? :D
2. yes and mash instead of fries, thats gonna work! It seems great first few days then fed up with it. All american restaurants have the exact same menu.
3. Dunno, drove a Dodge :D
4. Yes but you have to ask, not everywhere does it, again in Florida.

Big thing I would add is the beer is SHIT...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The thing I don't like about their bars; the bartenders EXPECT a tip, just for pouring a frigging drink & putting it on the bar.
Taxi drivers, barbers, restaurant staff if good service, then yes, tip. Bartender plonking a gassy beer in front of me? Only if gorgeous with large breasts.

I went to Florida 4 weeks ago. Went in Tony Roma's, Steak House, had the meal and this huge New York guy, the waiter, gave me the bill, there was $28 change, he said "you good?" I said "yeah, I'm good". Ten minutes later no change, I said, where's my change? He said, "you said you was good!" !

I frequented a bar in Chili's, it was bogof all day/night. Used to leave $2 tip, they were happy. Last day I left $5 tip, they were ecstatic, don't think they were being sarcastic! :D

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
The really good steakhouse is Manny's Chophouse, just off the I4 near Haines City very easy to find from Kissimmee, very authentic and very fantastic quality food. There are 2 other locations, details below

Mannys Original Chophouse, You Found the Best Place!

If you are new to Florida I recommend Sizzler for the buffet breakfast, better than many others and a favourite of the Brit's. Two around Kissimmee, one on International Drive and one on the 192 just a couple of miles West of the I4.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I must say I didn't like the fact that all prices displayed excluded tax and that everybody expected a 15% tip irrespective of being a waiter or barman or whatever and the level of service offered.

This PISSED me off. I am sure it wasn't like that 4 years ago, so not sure if it's a way of making the economy seem better! Al this does is make you end up with a shit load of change in your pocket every day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here