Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impressions of USA

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In their commercial (advert) breaks, the first one is usually for Taco Bell/KFC/McDonalds/Subway. followed for an advert for some new diet or exercise machine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We stayed in Vegas, Flagstaff, Amarillo, Memphis, Nashville Louisville and Chicago and ate in a variety of eating places from I HOP to Joes Crab and Steakhouse n Chicago which was very high class and expensive and also very good where I managed to have Spinach in Cream, with my steak.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I have just returned from a fabulous holiday in the USA but was little surprised by a few things since my last visit some 10 yeas ago.

1. For a country that appears to be health conscious there are many, many obese people.
2. The food is generally of a very poor standard and consists of either steak KFC type Chicken and junk food and they have never heard of vegetables other than corn or broccoli
3. The big cars seem to have all but disappeared and replaced with European/Japanese

4. One of the very god things that our pubs and bars should follow if you buy a coke or sprite they continually refill the glass for as long as you are in the bar. At the minimal cost of post-mix syrup our pubs could easily follow suit but we are money grabbing It would certainly help to eradicate drink driving.

What has been highlighted by others while away on holiday good or bad.

Slightly disappointed, when saw the thread title, I thought BG had gone all Alistair McGowern and was going to posting clips of him doing american accents - yee haa

Oct 25, 2003
I go with the family to Florida every other year and food is such a big part of it, all you can eat breakie at Sizzler, pulled pork sandwiched, burgers, steaks covered in blue cheese, pizzas, fat coke sold in a dustbin sized carton, I love America

think you've proved at least one of his points there

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
We stayed in Vegas, Flagstaff, Amarillo, Memphis, Nashville Louisville and Chicago and ate in a variety of eating places from I HOP to Joes Crab and Steakhouse n Chicago which was very high class and expensive and also very good where I managed to have Spinach in Cream, with my steak.

Which place was your favourite? Would like to visit Nashville and Vegas at some point

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In their commercial (advert) breaks, the first one is usually for Taco Bell/KFC/McDonalds/Subway. followed for an advert for some new diet or exercise machine.

Also, during a half an hour show these ad breaks will be:

Opening scene - ADS - Opening credits and another scene - ADS - Another scene - ADS - Another scene -ADS - Closing credits

:rant: I couldn't deal with that for very long.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Did you manage to stay on your Weight Watchers diet?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I've only been to California, Nevada and Hawaii but some of my observations were:

1. There is a real lack of Indian restaurants in all the cities I visited and the average Yank is unfamiliar with curry and doesn't like spicy food.
2. I didn't notice that many obese people in these three states, at least not much different from the UK.
3. I've seen more homeless people in these three states than in any other country I've visited, including poorer countries.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I bloody love BG. Spinach AND cream, with steak. My word :lol:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I would agree how noticeable the number of large / obese people there are in the US. They do have a soft spot for junk food outlets and have kindly exported that culture over here which we seem to have readily embraced. Walk down any UK High St and it seems to me that you will see increasing numbers of obese people waddling about between numerous US style fast food outlets.

In the US it is noticeable just how huge the food portions are which might be one factor why people are so large over there albeit they seem to more readily offer or serve side salads, which I suppose is odd given they normally accompany steaks the size of a small car. Equally they do have extraordinary ranges of 'healthy' options on their menus compared to here, even so you get the bizzare sight of someone having a double skinny Latte to wash down a couple of half pounders, extra large fries and a side order of pancakes etc etc.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Chicago hmmmmmm - loved the place and LOADS of good food with good veg. Grand Lux was superb and I got tanked there on cheap manly cocktails.

Buffalo (new york) however................................was desperate for veg - only eat brown things for 3 days save for two broccoli stems. In the end I went to a drug store and brought my own fresh veg to eat.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's the 20% tip that gets me, just pay your staff decent wages and raise the prices,

I said this to my brother but his answer was that his English friend who has a bar in Kissimmee said they pay $2 an hour wages and they know the staff give friend s drinks etc and if they paid $10 an hour they would still do the same.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did you manage to stay on your Weight Watchers diet?

No I put on 4kg as I had too many steaks and couldn't get plain chicken which I normally have a couple of times a week. I must say that I really enjoyed the holiday and it sounds like me moaning but that is not so there are many brilliant things about the USA. The spinach was cooked in cream and was delicious but very fattening. Must say that there was veg available in most places in Chicago but not in the others. In Amarillo there was a place that offered a 72oz steak how anybody could eat that I don't know.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I loved Nashville, I reckon i could live there. Memphis was a shock I didn't expect so much poverty and begging on the streets. Amarillo? Blimey you did go to Redneck America

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I went to the States with my school a few years ago and got to stay with a cheerleader (female) in New Hampshire for a week, going to high school and everything before going on to do Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Boston, Salem, Manchester, NH and a few more.

There were some horrifying things- pizza and fries for BREAKFAST AND lunch at school, 18-year old kids that didn't know what a midwife was and getting asked if I know the Queen every f***ing 5 minutes.

There's a lot of idiots and fatties in America, much as there is in GB, but I bloody love the place and hope to move out there when I finish Uni in December. Incredibly beautiful women metaphorically dropping their "panties" whenever they heard an English accent, the diverse groups of people and the outgoing nature of most of them, and most people seemed genuinely welcoming and interested in how differently we lead our lives in England. I guess it's a bloody big country and you can't really judge it on one region, but I thought New England was "totally awesome"

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Had this bad boy as well after being told I couldn't go to America without having one- the BK quadruple stacker.

A load of bacon, 4 burgers, 4 bits of cheese and a bun. It was absolutely disgusting. Got through a quarter before throwing up everywhere. Came with a bucket of fries and a 2 litre coke for a princely sum of $10- about the same as you'd pay for a regular BK meal in the UK.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I don't have personal experience but this looks classic America

photoago.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here