Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impressions of USA

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
USA Jesus!
I go to various cities in the US about 20-30 times a year due to my job. From Atlanta to San Francisco.
Without getting too complex, I've come to the conclusion that the Americans have proportionaly around 2 or 3 times more binner, scuzzer, waster types than here in the UK. That is a large amount considering we have a large number of brain dead ourselves.
The Middle American loves god, lives his country but hasn't got a f***ing clue about anything! Nothing! Health, Social behaviour, social awareness, global issues, climate change, nothing.

It's got to the point now where I just give up. That country is eventually gonna f*** us all up and the joke is Asia is following them down this road.
Goodnight.

Did you mean to post this 25 years ago?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brothers comment taking into account he normally drinks Guinness was ' I dont feel like too much alcohol today I think I'll have a local beer'. Think it was a little tongue in cheek but I found it funny.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I lived in South Carolina from 2001-2002, pretty much exactly a year, well out of tourist area. I had mixed feelings about them. Hugely welcoming, very friendly. But you did get to realise that their education was a notch or two down and they were indoctronated by American history, which is fair enough, we are by British history. But THEY won WW2 not us and they don't even see us as a partner in defeating the Reich, they don't get taught 1812 (look it up), their independence was not 1777 as they see it, it was a declaration but it took a war to get independence around 1782 and not July 4 either, again that was the declaration and not the victory, they are still racist as f***, at least in the southern states. They are extremely religious, never seen it as much as I have in the US. And they think we are Australian when we talk! Bastards! Apart from all that and a lot, lot more, it was the best year I have had in my life to date... go figure.

I lived in Greenville which is kind of well off the coast (i84 highway) and an hour south of Charlotte. Never went to Charleston but did go to the capital Columbia, not far from Charleston. Great state but the people are a tad inbred!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I lived in South Carolina from 2001-2002, pretty much exactly a year, well out of tourist area. I had mixed feelings about them. Hugely welcoming, very friendly. But you did get to realise that their education was a notch or two down and they were indoctronated by American history, which is fair enough, we are by British history. But THEY won WW2 not us and they don't even see us as a partner in defeating the Reich, they don't get taught 1812 (look it up), their independence was not 1777 as they see it, it was a declaration but it took a war to get independence around 1782 and not July 4 either, again that was the declaration and not the victory, they are still racist as f***, at least in the southern states. They are extremely religious, never seen it as much as I have in the US. And they think we are Australian when we talk! Bastards! Apart from all that and a lot, lot more, it was the best year I have had in my life to date... go figure.

What's your job? I would love a job like that

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One thing that amuses me is pointing out to Americans that they had to get help from the French to win their own war of independence.

Not, of course, that the average American either understands or believes me ...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
One thing that amuses me is pointing out to Americans that they had to get help from the French to win their own war of independence.

Not, of course, that the average American either understands or believes me ...

They actually needed the French, Polish, Irish and Italians, however these people were cutting a new life in the new land anyway. But it was the firepower afforded them from other countries that allowed them the victory, even though the British were literally a morning away from smashing the revolution, but bad leadership ruined it. Well that's the British version of history anyway. In 1812 when they tried to invade Canada, the Brits (and Canada) pushed them all the way down to New Orleans, burning down Washington DC on the way. That, despite our other wars with Napoleon. The 1812 war was an armistice, no side was given the victory, but it taught them a lesson! Allegedly, as I say that is the British version of history.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Just like in the UK if you bother to go off piste to real smalltown USA you will find some great food. One of the best quality and good value meals ever had anywhere in the world was at a simple local pub in Calistoga near San Fransciso where they BBQ everything in their backyard over looking a river and vineyards. Great relaxed atmosphere, brilliant beer (even to a Harveys fan) and local wines, with the best steak, garlic mash, fresh local veggies and desserts. Really good crowd and nice live music. Stayed the night in an immaculate and quaint room (not en-suite!) above the pub so could get completely bladdered. The breakfast was historic too. Fabulous.

Sounds like you may have ate at the Calistoga Inn, did you visit the Calistoga Roastery coffee house in Lincoln St. (the main road,) you would have found the owner very interesting. My favourite town in the area is Yountville.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just been to the Black Angus Steakhouse, very nice but they added a service charge ?

Never had that before in the USA

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Depends where you go. San Francisco has plenty of veggie restaurants (and veggie options in the other places). It also has a top-notch place called Millennium which is up with Terre-a-Terre in the gourmet restaurant stakes.

New York's not too bad either - couldn't find many veggie restaurants (although I'm sure there are some) but there's masses to eat.

I think you'd struggle in other places (apart from Seattle and Portland). I had difficulty finding places to eat in Boston (which surprised me) and Philadelphia. I think the whole of Nevada is a veggie-free zone and I've not even been to Texas which is meant to be particularly bad for vegetarians. I've spent most of my working life working for US companies and have had to make several trips to the States, it's not something that I ever look forward to as I know it's going to be struggle to find anything to eat (unless I want to live on pizza).

I also have to agree with the earlier comments on public transport. I remember going to a business meeting in the suburbs of Philadelphia and caught the bus. I was the only white person on it and when I got to the meeting and told them I'd come by bus they looked at me as if I'd said I'd flown in on a magic carpet.

had dinner at Millenium on Friday night and was as great as always.

as people have said - if you eat at ihop or KFC in amarillo, texas, etc.. then you're gonna get crap! i eat in different countries/states every day and have had the best food i've ever had in different cities all across America. From where i'm sat right now in LA I can walk to 10 different world-class fully vegan restaurants with the healthiest and most delicious food you could ever want...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Well my experiences are all positive if you just accept they have a different approach to almost everything. I have been four times, 3 times to NYC, once to Ohio..... everyone I met were helpful and as polite as you would expect,.... definitely go 'off piste' , do some research, for example my last ten day visit to NYC Ispent probably 80% of my trip in Brooklyn, amazing place, Coney Island is exactly as portrayed in every movie you remember, shabby but vibrant and safe..... enjoy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here