Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impressions of USA

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Americans are probably making the best beer in the world.

Every where I have been, have had wonderful little microbrew pubs. Philly & Denver particularly good

nick1984

Apr 9, 2012
Recently went to USA and it's a fantastic country. Lots of really nice people who are very positive about life as a whole (unlike alot of English people). The few things I found were hard to deal with is 1) The shocking standard of food in restaurants and stores and 2) Everyone expects tips!!! Leave it out! Oh and ps if you don't give tips they don't like you. I stayed at a hotel where it was free breakfast (included in bill) and they still expected tips.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Americans are probably making the best beer in the world.

Every where I have been, have had wonderful little microbrew pubs. Philly & Denver particularly good

Indeed, I always used to think American's just had weak pissy lager but every time I have been there I have sampled some top quality beers at microbreweries. Even some of the more mainstream stuff like Samuel Adams is pretty decent. Coors and Bud are still wank of course much like Fosters and Carling are in the UK.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Going to Kissieemee in Orlando at a place called Lake Berkley.
Been to Orlando before about 12 year but didnt go to this area.
We are renting a Villa self catering and can anyone point us to any decent eateries and shops and pubs in this area
thanks

All the restaurants will be on the main 192 Road which runs through Kissimmee, I mostly have experience of the 192 on the other side of the I4 but there is an Olive Garden a little way from you. If you go down the 192 over the I4 they have Sizzler, TGI, Red Lobster, Outback Cafe, Crackerbarrel, many pizza places and steakhouses.
The Disney Town 'Celebration' is on your side of the I4 they have a great place called 'The Town Tavern' with a terrace bar and inside area as well, very good steak and Boston seaford like Lobster - Celebration Town Tavern
Also check out International Drive once again on your side of the I4, they have a lot of different restaurants, Sizzler, TGI, etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have to say there are some completely naive & xenophobic comments on this thread.

America is such a large and diverse country ranging from arid deserts to lakes wider than the English channel to snow topped mountains a whole Smörgåsbord of landscapes. That is filled with such ethnic diversity which in its self brings a whole plethora of different cooking styles and which have been blended, re-hashed and improved in short if you cant find anything you like to...

Eat...

See...

Do...

Meet..

You will never be happy.

Having said that I would not live there :)

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The really good steakhouse is Manny's Chophouse, just off the I4 near Haines City very easy to find from Kissimmee, very authentic and very fantastic quality food. There are 2 other locations, details below

Mannys Original Chophouse, You Found the Best Place!

If you are new to Florida I recommend Sizzler for the buffet breakfast, better than many others and a favourite of the Brit's. Two around Kissimmee, one on International Drive and one on the 192 just a couple of miles West of the I4.

I have been and I can back you up, it is amazing!

Another place I like in the Haines City/Winterhaven area is Garys Oyster Bar!

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Well I am heading to LA and then driving to Vegas for my stag party in 6 weeks and then getting married in Phoenix Arizona at the back end of September. Absolutely love the place!

tips are frustrating but it is a different culture to our, they get paid so much less but then the service is a lot better?

Food is great in Phoenix, great mix of all different cultures, had great mexican and even a good tapas place in Old Town.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
In my time in the US I only went to Washington DC, But found lots of nice looking resturants, and in the Maryland suburbs (we stayed there with family and travelled in daily on the tube) it was full of walks and parks people going on runs bike rides, my aunt said the people there love their exercise. The US you see on tv is often the big cities and not a true picture. It was full of big trucks too, this way 5 years ago at most.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well I am heading to LA and then driving to Vegas for my stag party in 6 weeks and then getting married in Phoenix Arizona at the back end of September. Absolutely love the place!

tips are frustrating but it is a different culture to our, they get paid so much less but then the service is a lot better?

Food is great in Phoenix, great mix of all different cultures, had great mexican and even a good tapas place in Old Town.

I Love AZ some of the wifes family are from that way and some still live there in cave creek, go over at least as much as we can.

Check out just past Scottsdale north is place called Cave Creek and a great place is Harolds Corral where the wifes Grandad used to play the piano and lived in shack with a Lion chained to a tree out the back in the 60s !

Harolds Corral

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
America is such a large and diverse country ranging from arid deserts to lakes wider than the English channel to snow topped mountains a whole Smörgåsbord of landscapes. That is filled with such ethnic diversity which in its self brings a whole plethora of different cooking styles and which have been blended, re-hashed and improved in short if you cant find anything you like to.

That reminds me that we barely seem to have touched on Mexican food on this thread - truly wonderful at its best - bland and tasteless at worst but huevos rancheros is a cracking breakfast dish :lol:

Strange that all my best memories of the USA, whichever part I've been to, are of food (especially breakfasts at which they truly excel IMO) and good service - well worth tipping for once you get used to the idea. I learned years ago that rather than waiting until the end of a meal and not leaving a tip (typically Brit behaviour) if you simply complain politely when asked (whether on the first second or even third occassion) if "everything is allright for you" then the problem will be sorted and fresh food brought to replace whatever you disliked. No hassle. No abuse. Easy! On the other hand if you don't tip you might just find the abuse following you down the street as you beat a hasty retreat :lol:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
sounds about the same as when i went to Florida / Georgia, 20 or so years ago.. (a mate was working there, so we all got v cheap accomodation!)..

food portions were OTT, and everything was so cheap (then £1 = $1.90 odd).

Felt a bit miniscule, as its all about the numbers. We only got personal attention in a couple of shops..

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY

Check out the Mission in old town Scottsdale - great Mexican/south western food !

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Having lived in NYC for the past 4 years, the food is one of the big issues with moving back to Blighty with the Missus (she's from NYC). Every conceivable cuisine can be found here and the quality can range from "the best ever" like steak at Peter Lugers to very very average take out places (there no point even commenting on chain or fast food restaurants as each has their own pros and cons).

Having been back to Sussex with the Missus multiple times, I think she's going to be ok with what's on offer in Brighton as well as the country pubs etc but it's not going to be easy not having Luger's "steak for two" or Banjaras lamb chops just a few mins away !

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Im with you on the AZ places - Im there regularly for work and Over Easy, SanTan, Havana Cafe as well as The Mission and Cowboy Chow are great !

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Damn straight. Most comments seem to be 'Impressions of tourist Florida' not the USA.

My son spent the week of the Jubilee in London -- but he was based in Camden Town. He loved his time in Blighty, and raved about the food.

I expect a week in, say, Bradford, would have yielded different results.

Samples, and sample size, matter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My son spent the week of the Jubilee in London -- but he was based in Camden Town. He loved his time in Blighty, and raved about the food.

I expect a week in, say, Bradford, would have yielded different results.

Samples, and sample size, matter.

Bollocks it would. Bradford has the best 'Indian' restaurants in Britain - and they're ridiculously cheap. I left Bradford 30 years ago and I still hanker after a Kash special. There are plenty of other places to eat, catering for just about every cuisine - and all a lot cheaper than Camden.

There's a lot that's gone wrong with Bradford since the 60s but it's a good place to eat out.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Bollocks it would. Bradford has the best 'Indian' restaurants in Britain - and they're ridiculously cheap. I left Bradford 30 years ago and I still hanker after a Kash special. There are plenty of other places to eat, catering for just about every cuisine - and all a lot cheaper than Camden.

There's a lot that's gone wrong with Bradford since the 60s but it's a good place to eat out.

I haven't been but I would imagine Bradford is brilliant if you like 'Indian' food (which personally I do) but as someone said in most of the US you don't get much of it at all so for the posters son it might not have been a good experience.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Most US restaurants don't label vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free options/choices on the menu like in the UK and if they do label, it isn't made to be very obvious or as easy to read. Veggie/vegan diets is easy, following a gluten free diet is extremely difficult. Asking your server for help will get you mixed results

In Portland following a gluten free diet was the easiest it has ever been for me. Most restaurants (admittedly didn't do big chain fast food) had clearly labeled choices and even had excellent take out gluten free pizza from 2 different restaurants, something I have never had over here. My relatives brought a lot of gluten free stuff easily from several different health food shops for my stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here