Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important: Reporting homophobic chanting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been alerted to the fact that a large number of Albion fans, possibly prompted by a thread on NSC, reported West Ham fans to the FA and the 'Kick it Out' campaign. Additionally there may be the intention to do likewise for each game a group of opposing fans chants "does your boyfriend know you're here" and the like.

A few things about this...

- Both the FA and 'Kick it Out' have a duty to fully investigate each and every reported incident, which means...
- A number of Albion officials have to spend a large amount of time investigating and reporting back.
- Any report made about opposing fans at the Amex could result in action against the Albion, not the opposing club, as the Albion are in charge of crowd control at the Amex.
- When reports involve hundreds, if not thousands of fans singing there is very little chance of any action being possible.

So, I urge people to think long and hard about pursuing this campaign as...

a) there is slim chance of any meaningful action, yet

b) the Albion could expend significant manpower being duty bound to investigate and report back on each incident reported

This is not to say, of course, that any serious incidents that occur should not be reported - they absolutely should.

For anyone wondering, the club have not put me up to making this post, but I have told them I am making it having heard about the number of hours that club staff have effectively wasted this week. That time could be better spent serving the Albion support in many ways.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It's a difficult one. Should it be accepted just because it's sung on mass and thus much more time consuming and difficult to take action, or should the club take action, and alienate a lot of away fans and clubs and lose out financially?

Last edited:

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
It's a difficult one. Should it accepted because it's sung on mass and thus much more time consuming and difficult to take action, or should the club take action, and alienate a lot of away fans and clubs and lose out financially

Why would it alienate away fans because they cant sing homophobic abuse?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If the away fans had sung racist chants en masse, which had then been reported, would this thread still have been started?

I don't personally care what is sung and would never bother to report it, but this thread is basically saying that reporting perceived homophobia is nothing more than a waste of people's time.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I may have started this with my thread on NSC last week but I did not report West Ham to the FA. I felt firstly the duty was with the club and the Police to make a stand and they see it going on in front of them without anyone having to report it.

For me if the away fans trips to us risk being spolit because they may not be able to spout homophobic abuse at us, tough titties.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Why would it alienate away fans because they cant sing homophobic abuse?

Because it would lead to a lot of away fans being ejected and therefore half empty away ends. It will be very difficult to target everyone and mistakes would likely be made and some fans picked out that perhaps weren't involved

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've been alerted to the fact that a large number of Albion fans, possibly prompted by a thread on NSC, reported West Ham fans to the FA and the 'Kick it Out' campaign. Additionally there may be the intention to do likewise for each game a group of opposing fans chants "does your boyfriend know you're here" and the like.

A few things about this...

- Both the FA and 'Kick it Out' have a duty to fully investigate each and every reported incident, which means...
- A number of Albion officials have to spend a large amount of time investigating and reporting back.
- Any report made about opposing fans at the Amex could result in action against the Albion, not the opposing club, as the Albion are in charge of crowd control at the Amex.
- When reports involve hundreds, if not thousands of fans singing there is very little chance of any action being possible.

So, I urge people to think long and hard about pursuing this campaign as...

a) there is slim chance of any meaningful action, yet

b) the Albion could expend significant manpower being duty bound to investigate and report back on each incident reported

This is not to say, of course, that any serious incidents that occur should not be reported - they absolutely should.

For anyone wondering, the club have not put me up to making this post, but I have told them I am making it having heard about the number of hours that club staff have effectively wasted this week. That time could be better spent serving the Albion support in many ways.

c) Get a f***ing backbone. Apart from anything else, I'd much rather be called 'gay' than a 'pikey inbred scum' or some such like that we dish out to opposition fans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The important question is whether this sort of chanting is truly offensive to gay people and does it make them uncomfortable attending football matches. And seeing as I'm not gay, I don't know the answer to this.

Personally I don't know why it is even sung - it ceased being even vaguely amusing/threatening/annoying about a decade ago. It is now simply TIRESOME.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If the away fans had sung racist chants en masse, which had then been reported, would this thread still have been started?

I don't personally care what is sung and would never bother to report it, but this thread is basically saying that reporting perceived homophobia is nothing more than a waste of people's time.

I agree. I was expecting a shout of "Let's fight the homophobia rampant in our game." and not a "Think long and hard as to whether you felt insulted by considering the possible expense to the Albion."

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I tend to agree Frutos.

It might take up a lot of the club's time, but maybe something along the lines of mass complaints is what it takes to get abuse like this the attention it deserves from the authorities.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The important question is whether this sort of chanting is truly offensive to gay people and does it make them uncomfortable attending football matches. And seeing as I'm not gay, I don't know the answer to this.

Why should only gay people be offended by homophobia? Would you be happy hearing racist chanting if you knew a black person who wasn't that bothered?

D

Deleted User X18H

Yep. The club were dealing with this matter this morning. One reporter turned up specifically for this story and seemed bemused the Watford match was the main agenda. We should all respect the clubs wishes in matters such as these.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Because it would lead to a lot of away fans being ejected and therefore half empty away ends. It will be very difficult to target everyone and mistakes would likely be made and some fans picked out that perhaps weren't involved

So what if the fans that sing it get slung out? i agree though its going to be almost impossible to police.

The only thing is fining the club of the fans that sing it, happened at West Ham V Tottenham couple of seasons back for singing Jewish songs

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So what you're saying we should complain when we're at away games and waste other clubs time and money and get them fined.

I like you're thinking Bozza

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
the fact is nothing is being changed, the chanting of homophobic abuse is already illegal by the FA with ejection from the ground. It just a question if anyone can be bothered to enforce it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In which case we need to make formal complaints at every AWAY match where it occurs, so everything is then incumbent on the home team.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sensitive souls. Give it up and support the team

Because the club is in a sound position for first time in many of our lives. DOesnt mean we need a campaign. This one cant be won anyway so you will just wind yourself up trying.

Watford tomorrow. Get over it

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
West Ham sang?!?!?!? when?!?!?

D

Deleted User X18H

For crying out loud Its just banter.Most people cheer when the 'boyfriend or holding hands chant goes up. It is unique to the Albion and shows other clubs / take an interest in our culture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here