Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important: Reporting homophobic chanting

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would have thought that with the Albion promoting a friendly, family atmosphere at the Amex, to home and away supporters alike, they would have a contingency for this sort of thing anyway. It would surprise me if they did NOT want to stamp this out, no matter how much clerical time it takes to do.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ideally I would prefer that homophobia is dealt with indigenously, rather than having punishment imposed, and humour is one way - if not the best way - to dissipate it. It might be considered banter by some, but it is clearly intended to be insulting. The fact that it's not necessarily taken as an insult by the recipient means half the battle is won, so answering back with humour (we're gay, but you're f***ing pig ugly) leaves them with nowhere to go. Ultimately, it dies its own death.

From there, you can then weed out the knuckleheads who would individually continue to scream this abuse on a one-to-one basis.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That's very idealistic, I think.

I wouldn't like to guess at numbers but it could be anywhere from 500-2000 people in a full Amex away end who give it the first oh-so-amusing "Does your boyfriend know you're here" at 3:02 on a Saturday afternoon.

Faced with that, it is simply not practical to exercise any sort of eviction exercise. Additionally as soon as the first person or two is thrown out, the away end could become a fans v stewards/police warzone.

When the abuse is undertaken by a large group of supporters, I think the only practical measure that can be taken is a fine on the club in question by the FA. Once financial or, even, points penalties were levied against those clubs who offended then it would certainly make others think about acting in the same way.
I think that is the reality of the situation.

What has changed in the last couple of weeks, why is this an issue now when its been going on since I've been going to football (mid eighties)...and probably before?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yeah Anton, there's no use making a formal complaint against John Terry as it's only a game of football and full of stupid banter and you won't be able to prove it and win the case anyway, so there's no point saying it. It's only when complaints are made that those also on the receiving end come out of the woodwork and say this is actually a comment event and any change can maybe be made.

missed the point.

When the so called Homophobic chants happen I think the ref should stop the game, get the police to haul the offenders out on to the pitch and give one of those offended the chance to smack the offender's bare buttocks. If he's lucky he might find a new friend.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Away fans will soon catch on, Don't chant homophobicly at the Amex, as you could end up getting thrown out. It won't stop revenue, it won't stop people coming, but it might just stop the chanting that is causing concern.

Its a different set of away fans every game though, don't think word would get around that quickly. Maybe give them a leaflet when they buy a ticket spelling out in big letters the Albion's policy on homophobic chanting, or give them a leaflet when they're entering the ground or something, so they can't say they weren't told, and its not just buried in the small print.

Having said that, is anybody, gay or straight, so thin-skinned that they really take offence to the 'boyfriend' chant?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Looks like it all depends on how serious you take homophobic chanting. For some it's on a par with racism and for some it's no worse than "who ate all the pies?"

Personally I don't see why homophobic chanting is more tolerated than racist chanting as it isn't tolerated in every other walk of life.

I would say homophobic chanting will eventually die out anyway as racism has (on the whole) as our response usually tends to shut them up. You only really get it from clubs that haven't played us in a long time. One volly of camp waving and cooey-ing followed by a chorus of "You're too ugly to be gay" always puts a stop to it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
From reading this thread it sounds like there are more than a few Brighton fans who would happily join in with the 'banter' if it was another town with a high homosexual population. Which, in 2011, is a crying shame.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Its a different set of away fans every game though, don't think word would get around that quickly. Maybe give them a leaflet when they buy a ticket spelling out in big letters the Albion's policy on homophobic chanting, or give them a leaflet when they're entering the ground or something, so they can't say they weren't told, and its not just buried in the small print.

Having said that, is anybody, gay or straight, so thin-skinned that they really take offence to the 'boyfriend' chant?
As mentioned on the other thread - how is that homophobic? It could be construed as the away fans attempt to chat up our female supporters. Chatting people up at football is not (yet) a hanging offence. You'd have to prove it was 'meant' for the male Brighton fans and was 'meant' as a homophobic chant.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's all getting very pretentious in this thread. "Does your boyfiend know you're here" is probably the softest example of homophobia we'll ever come across. It's nothing. Why is there such a need to get all serious and precious about it all of sudden? What's changed? Is it because of that idiot who posted the "I've been banned for calling Bellamy a sheep-shagger"?

If the away fans were shouting, "f*** off you gay pricks", then yes, complain. Does your boyfriend know you're here is banter. Simple as that. Sheep-shaggers (lalala) is banter. Oi, Anton, you black **** is out of order and rightly being investigated. There is a world of difference. Complaining about something like the boyfriend chant trivialises homophobia in my opinion.

Very controversial subject for debate on this forum though, I hope the coppers aren't following. Be careful...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As has been said before, that chant is accepted as banter by the vast majority of fans but is 'We can see you sucking cock' acceptable at Leicester, when children are amongst the away fans? When does banter become obscene? Where do you draw the line?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As mentioned on the other thread - how is that homophobic? It could be construed as the away fans attempt to chat up our female supporters. Chatting people up at football is not (yet) a hanging offence. You'd have to prove it was 'meant' for the male Brighton fans and was 'meant' as a homophobic chant.

Oh please. Of COURSE it is homophobic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The trouble is, if we get a rep for making lots of reports to the authorities for homophobic chanting, then opposition fans will latch on, as they'll know that apparently it really "gets" to us. And the likelihood of anyone actually getting prosecuted for this stuff is minimal. So what'll happen ? It'll just get worse.

Homophobic chanting doesn't bother me in the slightest, I think its just one of those things we have learned to put up with but then perhaps thats easy for me to say as I'm not gay. Drawing more attention to the issue and trying to get opposition fans arrested, whilst probably justifiable in some instances, will in the long term be counter-productive I reckon. It'll just exacerbate the situation if we keep making a big deal of it.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The trouble is, if we get a rep for making lots of reports to the authorities for homophobic chanting, then opposition fans will latch on know that it really "gets" to us. And the likelihood of anyone actually getting prosecuted for this stuff is minimal. So what'll happen ? It'll just get worse.

Didn't some Hull fans get arrested for chanting 'Town full of bombers' just after the 7/7 tragedy?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oh please. Of COURSE it is homophobic.

Only if you choose to be offended by it. Which alot of people on this thread have. A lot of people have decided they want to find this chant offensive, whether they actually do or not isn't really the point anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here