Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important: Reporting homophobic chanting

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why should only gay people be offended by homophobia? Would you be happy hearing racist chanting if you knew a black person who wasn't that bothered?
It's an interesting comparison. In the '80s, the monkey noises which riled/upset so many players made very uncomfortable listening at the time, and sound appalling now. However, I don't think this sort of stuff is remotely comparable to most homophobic chants you hear (and I'm going to ignore Millwall* here), which is more comparible to Albion fans singing "you're just a small town near Delhi" at Luton. Basically, fairly harmless if incredibly inane and stupid in the grand scheme of things, and simply makes the singers look like bell ends to anyone with a brain.

*Millwall was different - which was another level entirely, and borne out of frustration from their large army of violent-minded simpletons that it simply doesn't annoy us. So what do they do - take it to another level in the hope that we get wound up by it. Feeble.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
its not the " banter " Tim, there is a lot worse believe me and one day if unchallenged will lead to some very nasty scenes imo. The club burying their head in the sand is not going to help. I personally don't think the game, experience or way of life with BHAFC will be spolit in any way with a stop to abusive homophobia.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
- Any report made about opposing fans at the Amex could result in action against the Albion, not the opposing club, as the Albion are in charge of crowd control at the Amex.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand this point or that it's true?

Didn't Rangers get fined and banned for their chants at an away game? I'm sure Lazio and other clubs have been fined for their chants and actions at away games.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
For crying out loud Its just banter.Most people cheer when the 'boyfriend or holding hands chant goes up. It is unique to the Albion and shows other clubs / take an interest in our culture.

Absolutely ridiculous. People cheer in an IRONIC way.

Would it be 'just banter' if people sang songs about a club's Asian population? No. Of course it wouldn't. Neither should it be banter when people sing homophobic abuse.

And, for the record, reporting it to the authorities should not be restricted because it might take up a few office hours. If the staff have extra work it is the fault of those SINGING it, not those who report it.

For f'cks sake. It is 2011. Geez...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So what you're saying we should complain when we're at away games and waste other clubs time and money and get them fined.

I like you're thinking Bozza
Good thinking! Only complain at away games! I don't meant to trivialise the issue, I know people have strong feelings on it, but personally I think the abuse referees get from fans, players and managers is far more of a problem than homophobic chanting. I know others don't share that view and fair enough.

However if I can be a bit controversial - I don't think it's accurate to compare it with racism. Racist chanting (monkey noises etc) was endemic in the game as all teams had black players. Homophobic chanting is mainly an anti-Brighton chant, the equivalent of 'sheepshaggers'. IMO the odd comments you get at other grounds such as "You're a poof number 9!" don't constitute homophobic abuse.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So away fans shout homophobic stuff at US (us, not Uncle Spielberg :lolol: ) and our club is penalised, yep that makes sense :nono:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So away fans shout homophobic stuff at US (us, not Uncle Spielberg :lolol: ) and our club is penalised, yep that makes sense :nono:

luckily I don't go to away games.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sensitive souls. Give it up and support the team

Because the club is in a sound position for first time in many of our lives. DOesnt mean we need a campaign. This one cant be won anyway so you will just wind yourself up trying.

Watford tomorrow. Get over it

Yeah Anton, there's no use making a formal complaint against John Terry as it's only a game of football and full of stupid banter and you won't be able to prove it and win the case anyway, so there's no point saying it. It's only when complaints are made that those also on the receiving end come out of the woodwork and say this is actually a comment event and any change can maybe be made.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tend to agree Frutos.

It might take up a lot of the club's time, but maybe something along the lines of mass complaints is what it takes to get abuse like this the attention it deserves from the authorities.

This. I must admit I was also rather surprised when I read this posting. I'd rather people report chants they're not happy with. The idea that it should be put off due to the Albion admin overhead is a very poor idea.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

'Does your Boyfriend know your here' is no more offensive than accusing Northerners of living in slums and looking in the dustbin for something to eat and finding a dead cat and thinking it's a treat or accusing a fat person of eating all the pies. My advice to those easily offended is to lock themselves away from the rest of the world or wrap themselves in cotton wool and hold on to Mummy's apron strings. Because I speak nicely and went to public school, people call me a Toff or a snob, but do i care? There are far more important things to worry about like who's going to wash the Rolls or collect the hampers from Fortnum and Mason.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If the Albion stewards were to sling out some of those chanting this abuse from the away end, in the same way they pick out abusive fans in the home end, then the word would get out. Away fans will soon catch on, Don't chant homophobicly at the Amex, as you could end up getting thrown out. It won't stop revenue, it won't stop people coming, but it might just stop the chanting that is causing concern.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Who gives a f*** what they say, get a life seriously

I'm with you on this one. It happens at football matches. It's a bit of fun. We have as much fun with our "you're too ugly to be gay", "one nil to the nancy boys", and "we're gay and we're beating you" chants. Actually it would be nice to have more opportunities to use the last two.

Sep 1, 2011
I'm with you on this one. It happens at football matches. It's a bit of fun. We have as much fun with our "you're too ugly to be gay", "one nil to the nancy boys", and "we're gay and we're beating you" chants. Actually it would be nice to have more opportunities to use the last two.

Sticks and stones and all that !!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It happens in our ground, ergo it is our fault.

Oh and now being reported on the BBC Football site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-15519241
mmmmm.....I'm sure that's the rule, but it seems a bit of a strange one.

I wonder who was outraged enough to bother reporting this stuff, its just part of being a Brighton supporter, doesn't make it acceptable but surely its water off a ducks back?

Sep 1, 2011
Just because somebody calls/sings your gay doesn't mean you are? I get called sorts on here doesnt mean I am

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
If some individuals are really offended by it then they should be reporting it. However, the whole bandwagon thing where loads of people report it because there is some 'campaign' to do so is a huge waste of time imo.

As an aside the FA's response to homophobic chants is hilariously non plussed and side stepping compared to the aggressive and proactive stance to racist abuse. Both can cause real anguish to some people yet they treat both very differently.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the Albion stewards were to sling out some of those chanting this abuse from the away end, in the same way they pick out abusive fans in the home end, then the word would get out. Away fans will soon catch on, Don't chant homophobicly at the Amex, as you could end up getting thrown out. It won't stop revenue, it won't stop people coming, but it might just stop the chanting that is causing concern.

That's very idealistic, I think.

I wouldn't like to guess at numbers but it could be anywhere from 500-2000 people in a full Amex away end who give it the first oh-so-amusing "Does your boyfriend know you're here" at 3:02 on a Saturday afternoon.

Faced with that, it is simply not practical to exercise any sort of eviction exercise. Additionally as soon as the first person or two is thrown out, the away end could become a fans v stewards/police warzone.

When the abuse is undertaken by a large group of supporters, I think the only practical measure that can be taken is a fine on the club in question by the FA. Once financial or, even, points penalties were levied against those clubs who offended then it would certainly make others think about acting in the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here