Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important: Reporting homophobic chanting

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I know all that. I'm just astonished a grown man had to ask in this day and age what was wrong with calling someone of subcontinent ethnicity a paki? I would expect 5 year olds to know its just wrong. You just don't do it! Unless you want to offend.

He didn't say that... he said someone from Pakistan.

Is it still OK to talk about the Windies?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a parent who was asked by my 10 year old "why are they singing 'she said no'" with reference to Marlon King on Saturday then I know how difficult it is to explain football chants.

I wasn't there, but I think thats a BRILLIANT chant.

Marlon King is a bona-fide convicted misogynist SCUMBAG, so anything that pokes fun at him, and hopefully gets under his skin, gets the major thumbs-up from me. Things don't need to be explained chapter-and-verse to kids - if you know full well what its about but don't think its appropriate for a child to know, then just shrug and say "dunno son". It'll soon pass.

Chants like that are to be richly encouraged as far as I'm concerned. Viciously inventive.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So, was the Palace chant 'we scored three they scored one Brighton take it up the bum' banter or homophobia? Genuine question.

Just a funny chant really, If anything was offensive it was the scoreline.

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Absolutely ridiculous. People cheer in an IRONIC way.

Would it be 'just banter' if people sang songs about a club's Asian population? No. Of course it wouldn't. Neither should it be banter when people sing homophobic abuse.

And, for the record, reporting it to the authorities should not be restricted because it might take up a few office hours. If the staff have extra work it is the fault of those SINGING it, not those who report it.

For f'cks sake. It is 2011. Geez...

Oh dear political correctness overload... Isn't calling us pikey scum a little erm racist ? My mate dirty Alf was nearly in tears at the injustice of it all. He cheered himself up ransacking the neighbours shed though so don't worry.

Are there really people out there who are so thin skinned ?
You do realize I suppose that you, the FA and the police will never stop this kind of tongue in cheek piss taking, we can allude to fudge packing , uphill gardening , turd burgling etc etc without it being necessarily an insult at Brighton fans... Seeking to ban it will only encourage it obviously.
If south park can continually evade prosecution while saying pretty much what they like I'm sure we will find a way round it ..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
didn't the blacks use to call whites honkeys

Ah, "Honkeys", that'll do. Now I wouldn't get upset if someone called me a honkey, so why the fuss about Pakki and the "N" word?

And this is a genuine question. What exactly is so wrong about those words.

As an earlier poster pointed out, South Park can do it.

Scot ... OK; Jock ... OK; Sweaty ... OK?
Brit ... OK; Pom ... OK.
Aussie ... OK;
Yankee ... OK
Chink ... not OK?
Jap ... OK?
Pakistani ... OK; Pakki ... not OK?
Frog ... not OK?

Pretty confusing in my opinion.

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Scot ... OK; Jock ... OK; Sweaty ... OK?
Brit ... OK; Pom ... OK.
Aussie ... OK;
Yankee ... OK
Chink ... not OK?
Jap ... OK?
Pakistani ... OK; Pakki ... not OK?
Frog ... not OK?

Pretty confusing in my opinion.

Taffs.... Ok sheepshaggers not ok !!! What's that all about ?

I was called an "imperialist ****" once , I took it as a huge compliment and told him to shut up and get on with polishing my monocle.

Oct 6, 2010
I find this whole thing bizzare. People are too easily offended. If you can't take a bit of banter, don't go to football. It riles me as much as gay pride does. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ah, "Honkeys", that'll do. Now I wouldn't get upset if someone called me a honkey, so why the fuss about Pakki and the "N" word?

And this is a genuine question. What exactly is so wrong about those words.

The accepted view is that words such as 'honky' or 'whitey' aren't offensive as there is no history of exploitation, domination and abuse behind their usage. And, like you I'd guess 99.999% of white people don't find them offensive (unless they're trying to claim victim status), so they don't really count as racially offensive terms. (On the grounds that no one is offended).

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh dear political correctness overload... Isn't calling us pikey scum a little erm racist ? My mate dirty Alf was nearly in tears at the injustice of it all. He cheered himself up ransacking the neighbours shed though so don't worry.

Are there really people out there who are so thin skinned ?
You do realize I suppose that you, the FA and the police will never stop this kind of tongue in cheek piss taking, we can allude to fudge packing , uphill gardening , turd burgling etc etc without it being necessarily an insult at Brighton fans... Seeking to ban it will only encourage it obviously.
If south park can continually evade prosecution while saying pretty much what they like I'm sure we will find a way round it ..
Sir Nigel, if I can seek your opinion as the sensible voice of Palace fans - what's the general reaction there to the news that Brighton fans are now officially deemed to be upset by what they feel is homophobic chanting? Do they now feel we're all a load of prissy wankers? And will you now stop it as you know we're offended?

(The sad thing is we've all been tarred with the same brush, but I'll let that pass as it was inevitable).

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
The accepted view is that words such as 'honky' or 'whitey' aren't offensive as their is no history of exploitation, domination and abuse behind their usage. And, like you I'd guess 99.999% of white people don't find them offensive (unless they're trying to claim victim status), so they don't really count as racially offensive terms. (On the grounds that no one is offended).

Accepted view ? One view is what you mean.

Last edited:

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Sir Nigel, if I can seek your opinion as the sensible voice of Palace fans - what's the general reaction there to the news that Brighton fans are now officially deemed to be upset by what they feel is homophobic chanting? Do they now feel we're all a load of prissy wankers? And will you now stop it as you know we're offended?

(The sad thing is we've all been tarred with the same brush, but I'll let that pass as it was inevitable).

Just like the annoying kid in the playground I'm sure we would have shut up about it eventually had we remained ignored. Unfortunately now we know that it actually upsets some people there is bound to be an element that will take encouragement from that and sing all the louder ...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Accepted view ? One view is what you meant.
Right so to be offensive it has to have some history of exploitation domination and abuse behind it ?

Sheepshagger should be acceptable then, and raghead since it's a fairly new slang term.
No, I meant 'accepted'. There is a minority view that says honky and ****** both have the same weight, but as it's only a minority of wankers who hold that view it can be discounted.

And no, in order for something to be offensive it does not necessarily have to have a history of exploitation domination and abuse, I never said that you just extrapolated it. However in the case of '****** v honky' that is the reason. Sorry 'accepted' reason. (Wankers aside as I mentioned earlier).

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
So, was the Palace chant 'we scored three they scored one Brighton take it up the bum' banter or homophobia? Genuine question. If I was a parent I wouldn't fancy the job of explaining that to a child.

Genuine question. Would Brighton fans have preferred "we scored three, they scored one, Brighton stuffed by palace scum etc" would it have felt any better or worse as you exited the Amex to hear that ?

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
No, I meant 'accepted'. There is a minority view that says honky and ****** both have the same weight, but as it's only a minority of wankers who hold that view it can be discounted.

And no, in order for something to be offensive it does not necessarily have to have a history of exploitation domination and abuse, I never said that you just extrapolated it. However in the case of '****** v honky' that is the reason. Sorry 'accepted' reason. (Wankers aside as I mentioned earlier).

Not wishing to be argumentative but I happen to hold the view that honky and ****** carry the same weight and while I may well be a wanker I wouldn't consider myself racist, or to be more specific, colour prejudiced

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Genuine question. Would Brighton fans have preferred "we scored three, they scored one, Brighton stuffed by palace scum etc" would it have felt any better or worse as you exited the Amex to hear that ?

For me thats banter and it didnt bother me one bit, in fact I thought it was quite witty, although I dont have kids and I wouldnt fancy trying to explain that chant!

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion by a small minority of thin skinned people and its only going to get worse at games now.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A lot of the thread is concerened with what is acceptable, what is not. I always thought the Kick Homophbia out of football campaign video sums up when the line is crossed and the club can act against an individual. I was always disapointed in recent years when the club did not want to get invloved in pride related events and McGhee had a rant about the pink keepers jersey.

Why not show the Kick Homophbia out of football video on our new big screens, it could make a few oposition fans think about joining in with certain types of chants.

[yt]1270cn0YxSo[/yt]

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not wishing to be argumentative but I happen to hold the view that honky and ****** carry the same weight and while I may well be a wanker I wouldn't consider myself racist, or to be more specific, colour prejudiced
Well, if that's what you think then obviously we'll have to leave it there, otherwise we'll just have an abusive row and end up getting banned!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here