Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ifill on trial after all...

The experience of ifill would be welcomed , and the amount of times mentioned on here means that the majority would not object to him signing obviously wasnt what Milwall wanted but will russ think he will do a job ? or is it just another one floating around the trialist ether ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like to sign Ifill that is Paul Ifill not that donkey defender at Swindon, I think it is, as an attacking midfielder rather than an out and out winger and can then get up and support the strikers as Paul Scholes does for United or Jenas for Spurs

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Sign him up !

I remember him playing for Millwall against us at the Den, coming off the bench, twisting harding all over the place before bending one into the far corner...

Will see what the lo down is back home and the likelyhood of him signing....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The experience of ifill would be welcomed , and the amount of times mentioned on here means that the majority would not object to him signing obviously wasnt what Milwall wanted but will russ think he will do a job ? or is it just another one floating around the trialist ether ?
Why is everyone assuming Millwall turned down Ifill and not the other way around, if he knew Brighton were interested maybe he was delaying his decision

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Why is everyone assuming Millwall turned down Ifill and not the other way around, if he knew Brighton were interested maybe he was delaying his decision

Thats exactly what i was thinking. He was on trial at Millwall last week, and one of two things could have happened. Either they took a look at Ifill and after one week said 'no thanks' or he heard we were interested and decided to cut his trial with Millwall short to come and join us. With Ifill being a brighton born lad I would think the second of these options is more likely....

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
9 large a week? Color me skeptical. For all but the Real Madrids and Yankees of the sports world Rule One, Two and Three of player acquisition, regardless of the sport, is not to pay for seasons the player's already had. What's the usual peak-performance age for someone at that position?

Late twenties...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Didn't he play in the same Millwall team as Livermore when they were both good. I'd be a bit worried that he'd turn out like Livermore now too.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
yep, along with Cahill, Reid, and Lucas Neil

played 30 odd games last year for Palace and notched a few goals so deffo worth something in my opinion.

Plus all this he played for Palace so how can he be a fan of the Albion crap does my head in. I bet everyone on here would work for thier rival company (in whatever industry they are in) if they offered you a decent paid job with a chance to grow and be successful....

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

Could also be that he knew of the trial at Brighton before he started his trial at Millwall. He may have told both clubs he will have trials at both and make a decision at the end of both trials.

Hope he signs for us, quality player only slightly tarnished by playing for the scum up the road.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That I would doubt. Big Russ has always sounded a big fan of Coxy and (crossing aside) I think Deans form took a massive jump after Slade took the managers job.

I'm far from Cox's biggest fan but even I was impressed by the form he showed once Slade got his feet under the table. I think someone like Cox needs motivation to go out there and put in a performance for the team, which competition for his place in the side would surely be enough motivation? :)

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Found this on Teamtalk

The 29-year-old winger made more than 250 appearances for the Lions before joining Sheffield United in 2005 and is now back training in south London after leaving Selhurst Park.

"Paul is a free transfer from Crystal Palace and he's looking for somewhere to train and do his pre-season," said Jackett.

"I'd be lying if we weren't looking at each other as a prospective club and as a prospective signing, so we'll see how he goes, how he fits in and how his fitness is.

"He has other offers on the table, as you would expect, but it will be interesting to see how he does this week."

Jackett is likely to make a decision on Ifill by the end of the week before the squad leave for a pre-season tour of Ireland.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Found this on Teamtalk

The 29-year-old winger made more than 250 appearances for the Lions before joining Sheffield United in 2005 and is now back training in south London after leaving Selhurst Park.

"Paul is a free transfer from Crystal Palace and he's looking for somewhere to train and do his pre-season," said Jackett.

"I'd be lying if we weren't looking at each other as a prospective club and as a prospective signing, so we'll see how he goes, how he fits in and how his fitness is.

"He has other offers on the table, as you would expect, but it will be interesting to see how he does this week."

Jackett is likely to make a decision on Ifill by the end of the week before the squad leave for a pre-season tour of Ireland.

I stumbled over that as well - think it maybe from last week though as there was some mention in the South London Press.

Wouldnt be a bad move - always enjoyed the train trips up there on a sat followed by cheap beer in the players lounge. I also met another albion Legend in there once - Gary Stevens

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Found this on Teamtalk

Well its hardly likely to say, Ifill told Jackett to "get stuffed" as the Albion are interested and he wants to go to a club going places, with a rich chairman and one of the finest, state of the art stadia on the way:clap2:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Decent record for a winger, and 6 goals in the championship is pretty good going, also to me suggests that if he played 38 times or whatever last term his injuries may well be behind him.
Certainly worth a look, think he could be a top player in this division, nothing wrong with having 3 decent wingers (+ mcleod who may come good) in our squad as we know all about injuries, and loss of form etc. Dont know much about Navarro but again played 39 times last season in a decent mk dons side so definately worth a trial.
The thing is, last season people complained and mocked the players we had to bring off the bench, the times when Mayo, gargan etc were called upon. Now when we look at players, people are worried about having too many wingers and the wages, we cant have it both ways!

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Well its hardly likely to say, Ifill told Jackett to "get stuffed" as the Albion are interested and he wants to go to a club going places, with a rich chairman and one of the finest, state of the art stadia on the way:clap2:

I deffo wouldnt say that while at the Den..... :lolol:

Let em come, let em come, let em come,
We'll all go down to the Den
We'll be happy to see you again

Or something like that....

All I know is i used to love singing the final line

ALL COME DOWN TO THE DEEENNNNNNN ! Whilst waving my hands in a Bugsy Malone (We Could Have Been anything That We Wanted To Be) style

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Paul would be a very good addition to the squad.Howeverthe play maker in midfield, a player that can chip in with 10 or so goals is i believe the missing piece .As already mentioned by Wizard ,Dean Hammond or that type is required.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I deffo wouldnt say that while at the Den..... :lolol:

We'll all go down to the Den
We'll be happy to see you again

Or something like that....

All I know is i used to love singing the final line

ALL COME DOWN TO THE DEEENNNNNNN ! Whilst waving my hands in a Bugsy Malone (We Could Have Been anything That We Wanted To Be) style

Let em come, let em come, let em come
Let em all come down to the Den
Let em come, let em come, let em come
We'll only have to beat em again!

Showing my secondary colours there :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here